• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NCAA releases nine-step and three-phase plan for schools to resume sports

I think schools may “open” but football is another story. If it were easy, they would have been practicing.

A lot of things are lining up around practices. NBA is opening practice facilities in the next week from reports. Yankees were planning on having players in Tampa in the next week or two as well.

The Clemson article notes about a 6 week timeline for practices to kick offs, so it looks as if the NCAA and schools are actively planning this

All schools are planning. The NCAA is discussing this every day, planning on every scenario. I just hope they don’t move forward and then cancel quickly again like they did with March Madness. Figure it out one way or the other.

I wonder how schools or the NCAA are going to get around some state rules. The Illinois governor set their regulations and you have to get to phase 4 just to get to 50 people. Hard to field a football team if you can't have over 50 people.

And if I read this right you need a vaccine, treatment, or elimination of new cases over a sustained period of time to just get to phase 4 and increase from 10 to 50 people. That ain't happening for a long time. So either the phases are overlooked for a football team, or Illinois probably won't be seeing any football this year.

Moving to phase 4, revitalization, requires a continued positive trend in the aforementioned areas. The final phase, "Illinois restored," requires a "vaccine, treatment or the elimination of new cases over a sustained period of time through herd immunity or other factors."

Under the current phase, gatherings are limited to those deemed "essential" and limited to 10 people or fewer. Phase 3 allows for "all" gatherings of 10 or fewer people. Phase 4 allows for all gatherings of 50 people or fewer.

I wonder how schools or the NCAA are going to get around some state rules. The Illinois governor set their regulations and you have to get to phase 4 just to get to 50 people. Hard to field a football team if you can't have over 50 people.

And if I read this right you need a vaccine, treatment, or elimination of new cases over a sustained period of time to just get to phase 4 and increase from 10 to 50 people. That ain't happening for a long time. So either the phases are overlooked for a football team, or Illinois probably won't be seeing any football this year.

Moving to phase 4, revitalization, requires a continued positive trend in the aforementioned areas. The final phase, "Illinois restored," requires a "vaccine, treatment or the elimination of new cases over a sustained period of time through herd immunity or other factors."

Under the current phase, gatherings are limited to those deemed "essential" and limited to 10 people or fewer. Phase 3 allows for "all" gatherings of 10 or fewer people. Phase 4 allows for all gatherings of 50 people or fewer.

Illinois is angling for a bailout to their pension funding and anything else they can get. I don't think anyone here expects his phases to stand as-is past this month.

If schools open, they need to play games. THere is no social distancing at college and lower levels of school. Just isn't happening.

Schools open could still mean on-line classes. Football requires travel and 80K fans in seats. School can happen without football. Moos already said no football if no students are on campus. I think since the country is opening without the CDC recommended guidelines (14 days of downward trend) they are waiting to see if cases/infections explode. If they do, no football. If not, we good!

The problem with opening up campus is the dorms. The dining halls and communal bathrooms will be difficult to manage. The dining halls could remain closed and they could hand out sack lunches 3X a day like they now do at Google in place of their free buffet. However, the students will not be vary happy. The bathrooms are a much more difficult problem. There is not enough empty off campus housing to make up for the dorms. As long as the rule is: No open campus, no sports, there will probably be no sports.
The closeness of the zillion bars downtown drawing a zillion tightly packed students may also be an inhibiting factor to opening up the campus.

The problem with opening up campus is the dorms. The dining halls and communal bathrooms will be difficult to manage. The dining halls could remain closed and they could hand out sack lunches 3X a day like they now do at Google in place of their free buffet. However, the students will not be vary happy. The bathrooms are a much more difficult problem. There is not enough empty off campus housing to make up for the dorms. As long as the rule is: No open campus, no sports, there will probably be no sports.
The closeness of the zillion bars downtown drawing a zillion tightly packed students may also be an inhibiting factor to opening up the campus.

There's also a problem with classes. Many classes take place in packed rooms, and there is little to no ability to expand into larger rooms because the larger rooms are already occupied by larger classes. I don't know how universities solve that problem. Maybe expand to weekend and night classes?

Last edited:
If it were easy, they would have been practicing.
I'm not sure what you mean by "easy," but the "hard" part is almost certainly going to be centered on liability issues, and that means finding a majority of lawyers who agree on the same thing. THAT is hard.
Football requires travel and 80K fans in seats.
Where does it say that "football requires ... 80K fans in seats?"
Oregon gov just declared no sports with fans through Sept.
Want to watch an Oregon governor backpedal when/if other states are playing college football?

There will be football this fall. What the schedule looks like, and whether or not there are special restrictions on fans? I don't know. There will be football this fall. Any state or city that tries to stop that while others move forward will be politically ending his/her career.

I'm not sure what you mean by "easy," but the "hard" part is almost certainly going to be centered on liability issues, and that means finding a majority of lawyers who agree on the same thing. THAT is hard.

Want to watch an Oregon governor backpedal when/if other states are playing college football?

There will be football this fall. What the schedule looks like, and whether or not there are special restrictions on fans? I don't know. There will be football this fall. Any state or city that tries to stop that while others move forward will be politically ending his/her career.

Let him clutch his pearls.

He's been practicing.

Cities won’t stop it. The NCAA will be the decider. And the for the record, I am good with no football in Oregon. :)

The NCAA will be the decider.

I don't think that that is necessarily true. If the Power-5 are in agreement, and the NCAA is opposed, they will dump the NCAA. The NCAA knows this, so it's always in a hurry to reach decisions that please the Power-5 before the Power-5 has time to consider making the decision without the NCAA.

Schools open could still mean on-line classes. Football requires travel and 80K fans in seats. School can happen without football. Moos already said no football if no students are on campus. I think since the country is opening without the CDC recommended guidelines (14 days of downward trend) they are waiting to see if cases/infections explode. If they do, no football. If not, we good!

When I say schools being open, I mean in person. If kids are at schools in person, they need to play the games...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back