• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked NCAA Member Schools Put Athletes Last...Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, IIRC I had read a full scholly five year player had some pretty significant loans a few years back.

Student Loans are utterly no panacea or solution. Just because they may be lower than other students doesn't make it OK. These kids are putting far more into working their way through school than virtually any other students.

I understand that loans aren't the be all and end all. I would rather see an athlete get his degree without owing anybody anything, which is why I would like to see the 2k stipend happen.

Yes, IIRC I had read a full scholly five year player had some pretty significant loans a few years back.

Student Loans are utterly no panacea or solution. Just because they may be lower than other students doesn't make it OK. These kids are putting far more into working their way through school than virtually any other students.

How so, in practice? With their tutors? I guess students working 2-3 jobs and doing the same course work without the tutors and study halls don't compare. Wow

For me some of the big drawbacks to a 4 year plan are the consequences of tenured/guaranteed programs in general. Some will reduce their effort and try to get by, there will be questions of how to rid a school of students who are bad apples from a legal standpoint, and the whole set of rules needed to administer such an effort. Are the rules unique to each institution or will the NCAA set up this nightmare?

Ok, can an athlete have student loans like normal college students, idk? If they can why don't they get a loan for the emergency trip home or enough for spending cash for the yr? There loans would be 10 times smaller than the regular student and would be easy to pay back.

Yes, college athletes can have student loans like most other students do. Until the federal government reformed the program (and really it's probably still going on) many college and universities tried to get as many of their athletes as possible Pell Grants in addition to their scholarship so they or their parents wouldn't have to take out a loan to pay for expenses the scholarship didn't cover. Schools do have an "emergency fund" of student loan money they hold back for students who have a major disaster but, in my experience, those funds are small and tend to go very quickly at large universities. A program designed only for athletes would run afoul of NCAA rules and be defined as an "extra benefit" that's not provided to the rest of the student body. Lastly, student loans are *not* something that any student ought to be using unless it's absolutely necessary. Student loan debt in the United States surpassed credit card debt a year or two ago. Many economists estimate that the large student loan debt held by recent graduates will force them to delay buying a home and starting a family.

The stipend issue can be solved very quickly by simply allowing FCS schools to not implement that rule. According to the article most FBS conferences already plan on implementing it. The B1G may go ahead and implement that provision anyway because the original idea actually came from ADs like Osborne and others within the conference. I think Jim Delany was in favor of it as well. It's clear all of the B1G schools can afford it.

For me some of the big drawbacks to a 4 year plan are the consequences of tenured/guaranteed programs in general. Some will reduce their effort and try to get by, there will be questions of how to rid a school of students who are bad apples from a legal standpoint, and the whole set of rules needed to administer such an effort. Are the rules unique to each institution or will the NCAA set up this nightmare?

If a player was getting into trouble either by not attending class or getting arrested he would lose the scholarship. I'm not opposed to tightened rules for behavior and gpa in exchange for a 4 yr schollie. Yes the NCAA needs to set the rules for this so it is the same for Bama as it is for KU.

Yes, college athletes can have student loans like most other students do. Until the federal government reformed the program (and really it's probably still going on) many college and universities tried to get as many of their athletes as possible Pell Grants in addition to their scholarship so they or their parents wouldn't have to take out a loan to pay for expenses the scholarship didn't cover. Schools do have an "emergency fund" of student loan money they hold back for students who have a major disaster but, in my experience, those funds are small and tend to go very quickly at large universities. A program designed only for athletes would run afoul of NCAA rules and be defined as an "extra benefit" that's not provided to the rest of the student body. Lastly, student loans are *not* something that any student ought to be using unless it's absolutely necessary. Student loan debt in the United States surpassed credit card debt a year or two ago. Many economists estimate that the large student loan debt held by recent graduates will force them to delay buying a home and starting a family.

The stipend issue can be solved very quickly by simply allowing FCS schools to not implement that rule. According to the article most FBS conferences already plan on implementing it. The B1G may go ahead and implement that provision anyway because the original idea actually came from ADs like Osborne and others within the conference. I think Jim Delany was in favor of it as well. It's clear all of the B1G schools can afford it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Isn't an extra 2 grand something the regular student body is not entitled to?

How so, in practice? With their tutors? I guess students working 2-3 jobs and doing the same course work without the tutors and study halls don't compare. Wow
Neither I nor my kids have seen too many people working two to three jobs going thorough school. The people I know who did, did not put the types of hours in that athletes do; with or without tutoring.

And BTW, I maybe saw a tutor once as an undergrad. Tutoring, isn't all that helpful in terms of dealing with time constraints. Usually, they can help to some degree in a class here or there, but hardly for four years. Not enough to make up for the time away spent on sports. Generally, the actual time benefits of tutoring are going to be limited to your core classes in the first year or two: math, writing papers, class, and science.

Last edited:

The well-heeled programs can afford to pay $2,000 stipends to all student-athletes. The problem is that there are only a couple dozen such teams. The majority of FBS athletic departments charge student fees and borrow from the academic side just to stay afloat.

One study indicated that only 14 FBS programs were profitable in 2009. http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15872921

The other 100+ are not going to sign off on what amounts to even more red ink.

The well-heeled programs can afford to pay $2,000 stipends to all student-athletes. The problem is that there are only a couple dozen such teams. The majority of FBS athletic departments charge student fees and borrow from the academic side just to stay afloat.

One study indicated that only 14 FBS programs were profitable in 2009. http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15872921

The other 100+ are not going to sign off on what amounts to even more red ink.

And do you just pay the football players....Some teams like Mn, their Hockey teams generates more money I would believe or at least did for many years

I thought during the football season there was a 20 or so hour limit players could spend working on football. If you have 5 2 hour practices which I believe is not too far off they can only spend another 10 hours through out the week on football. That leaves plenty of time to study. Granted they can not work but to say an athlete puts in more time working their way through school than a normal college student I believe is a little general. The student athlete has a lot more benefits than the general student body as well. It comes down to the individual them self. Some athletes have such a great support team in place and if they are disciplined enough can get through school pretty easily.

And do you just pay the football players....Some teams like Mn, their Hockey teams generates more money I would believe or at least did for many years

I think once you go down that path, you have to pay all your scholarship athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back