• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NCAA Extends Recruiting Dead Period Through 31 July

Some may get burned by de-commitments later on, but as of now a lot of teams seem to have figured out a better approach to recruiting during the lockdown. While the extended restrictions are not helpful to anyone, they may hurt us more than many of the other Power 5 teams.

Major blow for our 2021 recruiting class. I'm 'virtually' ready to write off this recruiting year. Getting players to come and see us, see Lincoln, see the UNL campus is essential, as their perception is usually not right. Now that will be 'virtually' eliminated. I can see the NCAA also limiting on campus recruiting visits (if they happen at all) in the Fall. They have consistently gone on the side of caution, and I see no reason to think they will change their tune for Fall sports. If I were the NCAA I would consider changing the rules for recruiting, until COVID-19 is in the rearview mirror. I see no need for 'dead periods' since things are 'virtually' dead already.

I understand why this is being done, and maybe this should be in Hot Topics, but really, Covid-19 is already in 50 states and most of the world. Does the concern for "spreading it" via travel really exist to the point where it should limit if an athlete visits a school? They are as likely to catch the virus at the grocery store or filling a vehicle with gas in their hometown as they are from traveling to another state.

If the virus was not in Florida for example, then preventing people from traveling to Florida or from Florida to another state would make sense, but that is not where we are with the pandemic.

There has to be a better way to handle this than to just cut it off cold turkey until aug 1. To me it is a lazy and easy way out for the NCAA. Adjustments could be made to this very important process for the student/athlete and coaching staffs.

Premature and unwarranted IMO. Really hurts us but helps teams that almost have full classes. Because typically they put a dead period during fall camp, which is slated for August. So dead period all the way up until the season starts? Not good for a team that has the second fewest commits in the conference.

Some may get burned by de-commitments later on, but as of now a lot of teams seem to have figured out a better approach to recruiting during the lockdown. While the extended restrictions are not helpful to anyone, they may hurt us more than many of the other Power 5 teams.
We have no idea if the approach other teams are using (hard sell) is going to be anymore successful than what Frost and group are doing. At this point those other teams you see as being successful have signed the exact same number as we have...zero.

We are taking 8-10 fewer players than some of our counterparts. I don’t see the need for angst. I also don’t understand, especially based on the success in our recent classes, the second guessing I’m reading from some. I doubt many have any idea of exactly how much interaction is going on, or what the recruiting plan is for this season. We have 6 months until the first signing day, so there is plenty of time for on-campus visits, which the staff has said they feel is necessary to get the right kids in. There might be some exceptions, but I’d guess the number of defections for kids who never visited a campus is far higher than those who do.

Nebraska is actually going to fare better than most schools due to the small class we are signing this year (assuming that we don't get the transfer out that we seem to have had the past 3 Springs)

I tend to agree but still unknown waters we are navigating

At least now we have established a good reason why if our 2021 class doesn't pan out. We will work with who we get!!!

Gonna be hard if not impossible for recruits to get all of their official visits before the early signing day.

Gonna be hard if not impossible for recruits to get all of their official visits before the early signing day.
Which still MIGHT work out for them as they don't have to sign until February. The only potential kick in the butt may be if the China Virus comes back, in full force, next Fall/Winter.

Which still MIGHT work out for them as they don't have to sign until February. The only potential kick in the butt may be if the China Virus comes back, in full force, next Fall/Winter.
And assuming the school is holding a spot for you.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back