• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Native Answers Coronavirus Related Basic Science Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, we are moving into an era of a hot mess of data. Variables on top of variables that will make good data and information hard to find. There will be data to support whatever position you want to further on this latest omicron wave that appears to about to begin.

Each study now not only has regional and age and environmental differences, but we can compare at least 4 different iteration of the virus, on top of many, many variations of vaccination /natural infection statuses. J&J, boosted or not. Pfizer, 1,2, or 3 doses? How long ago did you get vaccinated? Moderna likewise. Natural infection, NI + booster? Again, when did you get those shots etc.

Movement of the virus in a previously infected/vaccinated population? What are vaccination rates, what is prior infection case report.... again, when did it happen..... Like I said, data hot mess.

(But don't worry, there are a couple of dudes over in hot topics who have it all figured out). ;) :Banana: :Banana::Banana:

TL : DR

Vaccination protects against Covid-19 hospitalization significantly more than prior infection, according to CDC study

This makes sense because vaccination provides antigen at a consistently high enough level to illicit a solid immune response that is prolonged enough to get T-cell activation. (T-Cells gonna kill virus infected cells, stopping spread of disease.) My guess is that protection is greater in Pfizer/Moderna than J&J.

Prior infection is protective too, but we aren't able to look at a stratified sampling of previous disease. Greater symptoms with full on covid infection likely have the highest level of protection amount the previously infected. More disease burden, more response, thus more downstream protection. Prior infection most at risk would be those who got a low dose infection and had mild/asymptomatic infection, thus a weaker immune response that may have lacked robust antibody development and T-cell response.

Not a lot going on on the Covid front these days it seems. Monkeypox is a thing, and even that is seeming a bit quieter.

My general advise now for those thinking about boosting, etc. If you have taken your shots as recommended and the mixed booster (Omicron addition) becomes available take that. The modest boost you will get from a booster to the orignal strain, probably not worth it, so I'd wait until the Omicron BA.4.5 stuff becomes available here in the states. Moderna's combo booster was approved in Britain, yesterday I think. Government in agreement for large # of combo doses from Pfizer/Moderna pending their approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back