• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Native Answers Coronavirus Related Basic Science Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
From another thread I got drug into.... but has some info I want to have placed here on the development of mRNA vaccines.

Here is the link to the review.. https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243#Sec5
(I wouldn't likely attempt to read this unless you have a science background.)

Distilled TL-DR of an aspect of the review. (Bolded bullet in Box 1)

So basically our immune system has some innate capabilities to recognize some foreign structures as foreign without having to go through adaptive immunity. This allows for immediate generalized detection of a lot of bacteria, and viruses. These receptors are called Toll-Like receptors and are numbered 1-10 (in humans, mice have 12). They detect, gram+ (TLR2), gram - (TLR4), dsDNA, foreign RNA, etc.... So mRNA was leading to activation of TLR7, which basically made the body activate the innate immune system, you would feel like crap, the mRNA would get destroyed and you wouldn't develop protective immunity. So synthetic nucleotides were made that allowed escape from that TLR7 activation allowing a productive adaptive immune response to take place.

This is a table from the review that highlights hurdles that have been overcome to allow mRNA vaccines to be a possibility.

Box 1: Strategies for optimizing mRNA pharmacology​

A number of technologies are currently used to improve the pharmacological aspects of mRNA. The various mRNA modifications used and their impact are summarized below.
• Synthetic cap analogues and capping enzymes26,27 stabilize mRNA and increase protein translation via binding to eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E (EIF4E)
• Regulatory elements in the 5′-untranslated region (UTR) and the 3′-UTR23 stabilize mRNA and increase protein translation
• Poly(A) tail25 stabilizes mRNA and increases protein translation
Modified nucleosides9,48 decrease innate immune activation and increase translation
• Separation and/or purification techniques: RNase III treatment (N.P. and D.W., unpublished observations) and fast protein liquid chromatography (FPLC) purification13 decrease immune activation and increase translation
• Sequence and/or codon optimization29 increase translation
• Modulation of target cells: co-delivery of translation initiation factors and other methods alters translation and immunogenicity

Last edited:

I don’t really think the purpose of this thread is to spend time on the debates and not really fair as it is one sided! Locked thread.
Anyway… for the interested, I think these two articles take a fair approach to the lab leak theory and are good reading.

I know there is a great mask debate. This is pretty compelling that masks provide protection for other respiratory illnesses even when there is compliance, quality of masks, proper use etc etc.

Presented as humor. Not an endorsement on either side of the lab leak theory.

1623098073842.jpeg

No question answered with this post.... but Covid long-haulers and youth.... this could get interesting as the delta variant seems to infect kids at a higher rate. (My guess is the % with lingering symptoms is much higher in the studies than reality, due to the number of infections that were never realized in youth... making the denominator wrong).

Edit: My guess was pointed out in the article. I wasn't all the way through yet when posted).

Last edited:

Here is a nice twitter thread to debunk ADE or antibody dependent enhancement.

This is the latest attempt to sway away from vaccines. Dr. Robert Malone with a nifty "I am anything but an anti-vaxxer" qualifying statement to try and lend credibility to his "concerns" only to follow it up with bad science.

Sticky is now gone, so this tread will drop from the top with a season of HUSKER FOOTBALL concerns. Hope some have found the tread helpful. I will continue to bump as I find stuff worth sharing....

Don't hesitate to ask me questions via PMs.

Summary as of Aug 3rd, 2021. Best thing you can do for yourself and others that you know, don't know, love, or even think an Iowa fan or Jaysker is.... #GetVaccinated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back