• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nate Clouse On The Bottomline (6/10/19) Camps/Next Commit/ Simon

Personally I want Nebraska to build its recruiting classes with local kids. That is the way it was done when NU was really good.
This is an old wives tale. The best NE teams had NE kids on the team. There was never in modern history a good team bad team or any other kind of team that built it's recruiting class with local kids. I looked at the 91 -95 recruiting classes. That was probably our best string of recruiting. In those classes the most we had any year was 7. The least was 2. There were probably about half of those kids that either did not play or were minimal contributors to the team. Every class was over 20 kids. In this years class we had 5 NE kids. About the average for a TO team. So Scott has proven he is interested in local kids. So going gaga over a single kid that we missed is a little silly to me. Should we hold our breath like 5 year olds because TO did not get Jay Novacek? TO could have had Barry Sanders but he thought he was too short. should we lay on the floor and kick and scream because of that? He is one kid. Maybe we made a mistake, maybe we did n't. who knows why kids make the choices they do. I am not about to lose sleep over it.

What the heck happened to this thread? Anyone coming in for information in addition to the OP just got lost

If y'all want to have the conversation start another thread to do so and title it thus so folks know what it is about.

Thanks

RR
@Red Reign did not see your post before I made my post. I will stop.

Awesome! Throw your drivel out there and then say you missed RR's post from 7 hours ago. :Rolleyes:
Been away for about that long. Was reading threw the posts. REsponded to an even older post than RR then finished reading and SAW RR post. Not that complicated. If you should care to carry on the discussion in IM hit me up. More than ready to continue it. Or as RR said feel free to open another thread. Either way let me know.

This is an old wives tale. The best NE teams had NE kids on the team. There was never in modern history a good team bad team or any other kind of team that built it's recruiting class with local kids. I looked at the 91 -95 recruiting classes. That was probably our best string of recruiting. In those classes the most we had any year was 7. The least was 2. There were probably about half of those kids that either did not play or were minimal contributors to the team. Every class was over 20 kids. In this years class we had 5 NE kids. About the average for a TO team. So Scott has proven he is interested in local kids. So going gaga over a single kid that we missed is a little silly to me. Should we hold our breath like 5 year olds because TO did not get Jay Novacek? TO could have had Barry Sanders but he thought he was too short. should we lay on the floor and kick and scream because of that? He is one kid. Maybe we made a mistake, maybe we did n't. who knows why kids make the choices they do. I am not about to lose sleep over it.

When I said local I meant Nebraska and the surrounding states I thought I made that clear in my post. most recruiting classes were 40-60% kids from a 500 mile radius.

Looking back they also did very well in California.

When I said local I meant Nebraska and the surrounding states I thought I made that clear in my post. most recruiting classes were 40-60% kids from a 500 mile radius.

Looking back they also did very well in California.
If you really want to pick a state we need to start doing well in. NJ is the state. All our best teams had a stud or two from NJ. Great athletes who can play in the cold. 1983, Rozier and Fryar. Mid 90s the Peter brothers. But yes 500 mile and Cali are important. The one place that seems to be the most hit and miss for us is TX. Not sure why but TX kids at NE either seem to be superstars like Turner and Rex or duds. There is a 3rd category of TX kids. If I do not start as a Freshman I am leaving TX kid. See Green.

If you really want to pick a state we need to start doing well in. NJ is the state. All our best teams had a stud or two from NJ. Great athletes who can play in the cold. 1983, Rozier and Fryar. Mid 90s the Peter brothers. But yes 500 mile and Cali are important. The one place that seems to be the most hit and miss for us is TX. Not sure why but TX kids at NE either seem to be superstars like Turner and Rex or duds. There is a 3rd category of TX kids. If I do not start as a Freshman I am leaving TX kid. See Green.
I agree about Jersey. Lot of good big 10 type players on the east coast. Plus Rutgers being there gives a big 10 footprint . The two previous regimes concentrated on Texas and California. Yes we got some good players from both, but you are fighting with so many schools in those states.

It’s not ignorant, it’s an observation. It wasn’t a knock on South Dakota either rather then the almost hero worship a lot of members on this board have directed at the kid. A lot of posters have already awarded this kid the Outland and he hasn’t even decided on where he’s going yet let alone graduated high school. There are 3 highly ranked lineman in the 500 miles radius, one in the 60 mile radius, 2 of which already committed else where and 1 is cooling on us that have played in a bigger state against better competition and don’t have the hype on this board as Nash does.

1-Logan Jones Council Bluffs. D Line 4 star top 100 247 committed to Iowa. Lifts just as much as Nash, he dunks the ball and his throws with the shot and discus barley reach their arcs as they fly past Nash’s. We dropped the ball recruiting this kid and didn’t offer until after he already committed to Iowa.

2- Josh Volk Cedar Rapids 3 star top 25 Lineman on 247. Again just as big and strong as Nash and steamrolled people in both 4A and 3A in Iowa. He was a big target on our recruiting board and a lot of other big time schools but growing up 30 minutes from Iowa City sealed that deal

3- Blaise Gunnerson Carroll Iowa 3 star top 30 D lineman 247. We still have a chance with this kid. They have him as an ISU lean right now but that could change. He’s taking an offical to Iowa in a week. Kid didn’t even play last years and is still ranked as high as he is and has several offers out there. A good season this year could really jump him up in the ratings and past Logan Jones as the #1 player in Iowa.

My point is, all 3 are accomplished athletes. All 3 are/were Husker targets. All 3 come from a more populated state and have faced more competition in football and have excelled. None of the 3 have 27 pages devoted to them on this board. IMO we need to dial back the hype, not hope on Nash.

In regards to my research project you’ve assigned me, I’ve got a couple of extra days off next week and I’ll try and get it turned in on time

I will agree! It would be silly to think that this staff won't miss on an evaluation or not be as diligent as they should on some kids. It's going to happen and then they should be held accountable. It's fine to criticize if they miss a kid. Especially in the 500 mile radius of Memorial stadium

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back