• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nate Clouse On The Bottomline (6/10/19) Camps/Next Commit/ Simon

I don't think he is taking it anymore personally than MABC is doing with Hutmacher.
Did I attack any other player, let alone a state? I don't know how to take it "personally" beyond we all want to see guys close to us go to Nebraska and do well. I don't hold that against @manawahusker at all, but when he felt the need to impugn an entire state because his local guy didn't get recruited? Yeah, I'm going to say something then. He has apologized, and we're good. It's not a big deal. Nobody's feelings need to be involved.

I was also in vermillion at that time and know the leber family well and you are completely wrong.
I know the family, too, and I'm not wrong. Are you also telling me he didn't have technical fouls in basketball for yelling at refs? That happened, and the timing was awful.

You are right and wrong in your post.
You are right that I’m mad at the way DONU recruited Jones. They took him for granted that he would just commit right after he was offered. Jan 2018, Frost and Chinander show up at LC. Frost was trying to shore up the offer to Max Duggan who as we know went to TCU. Frost and Chin have the allowable contact with Jones and told his coach they hope he comes to Junior day the next month. Jones goes to Junior Day and basically gets the cold shoulder or for a better analogy gets treated like that 3rd cousin you didn’t want to come to Thanksgiving but is treated like if you threw him the neck bone he’d show up and do whatever you wanted. FF to his Junior year, Jones has an awesome season, all along Iowa is showing up week after week to the games and his school during the week. Junior season ends, Jones commits to Iowa and Jones gets elevated to a 4 star and top 100 on 247. Jones then becomes a composite 4 star. 3 weeks after he commits to Iowa, Chin and the new Dline coach show up to LC to offer Jones. What they don’t know is Jones has shutdown his recruitment, and while grateful for the offer, currently will not consider or visit other schools. This might change but from some extremely reliable sources will not and he currently won’t take any officials after his Iowa official. DONU is still contacting him on a regular basis and trying to flip him, again this is most likely a futile attempt at this point. This is a 4 star kid inside of 60 miles from campus, and it was taken for granted that he would just commit as soon as he was offered. No football athlete of that caliber west of Highway 59 in Iowa should be ignored or taken for granted by DONU, save for a straight drop back passing QB which would never fit in. The only thing worse is ignoring or playing cool on a recruit from Omaha. As the crows fly Jones lives 3 miles farther from campus then Noah Fant and we all saw how that worked out for us. When the Super Six comes out this year, Jones will probably be at 1st or 2nd on that list behind only Watts from Burke. Yesterday Jones got invited to the AllAmerican game in Dallas next January. Iowa should have never been allowed to slip in and grab him. He checks off every box this program has ever wanted in a player and as of right now, they blew it with him.

You’re also right that I took a shot at South Dakota, even though I didn’t intend too, and after reading my initial post I absolutely took a shot. After reading my subsequent posts I was still taking a shot while trying to explain my self. I’m much better in person trying to argue my opinions then when I’m typing on my phone. I was wrong plain and simple and apologize and admit that I was wrong.

You are wrong, and you’re wrong because of the response that I am upset that everyone is so excited about Hutmacher potentially coming. I hope he comes here, and I want him to be great. I do however believe we need to back off the hype. This board is building this kid up so much that anything short and he’ll be vilified. It’s not fair to him and not right period. He could turn out to be better then Suh ever was or he could be the next Kabongo. Before we give him the Outland/Lombardi he should at least be allowed to commit here or turn us down. Back before it cost to post on this board I watched and commented on the future of David Horn. He was supposed to be the next great Omaha Central Iback who picked up all the awards on his way to the NFL and we all remember how that turned out.

Just speculating a bit, but I would guess the reason Frost and his staff gave Logan Jones the cold shoulder is because they were so zeroed in on putting together the 2018 class. Jones was two classes away at that point. I just think they were prioritizing 2018 kids at that point. I think now that they are caught up and have the ball rolling, guys like Jones won't fall through the cracks. Can't really blame a staff that had been on the job a couple months trying to piece together their regime-change class for not rolling out the red carpet for a kid that's still a sophomore. From everything we've seen since, this staff has gotten better and better at working ahead on kids in future classes.

I don’t think the rest of the forum needs to hear us argue this out. I’m very close to the family and happy to chat directly with you about it.

Did I attack any other player, let alone a state? I don't know how to take it "personally" beyond we all want to see guys close to us go to Nebraska and do well. I don't hold that against @manawahusker at all, but when he felt the need to impugn an entire state because his local guy didn't get recruited? Yeah, I'm going to say something then. He has apologized, and we're good. It's not a big deal. Nobody's feelings need to be involved.
What is there to argue about? His mom was the receptionist at the chiropractor in Vermillion where I went at the time, and I talked with her about it whenever I went there. They hadn't recruited Jason because he didn't seem tall enough, but that wasn't an issue with Ben, and they were disappointed. I was taking a class with Coach Culver's wife at the time, and I asked him about it. He was also disappointed, and all of the above thought he should have been a priority, but Culver is the one that first said that they were concerned about him being hot-headed. I'm not trying to upset you or attack him because, fwiw, I was rooting for him to go to Nebraska, too. They ended up taking Vedral because they had experience with the Vedral family, and there were zero concerns there. Also, fwiw, I have indirect connections with the Vedral family, too.

I don’t think the rest of the forum needs to hear us argue this out. I’m very close to the family and happy to chat directly with you about it.
What is there to argue about? His mom was the receptionist at the chiropractor in Vermillion where I went at the time, and I talked with her about it whenever I went there. They hadn't recruited Jason because he didn't seem tall enough, but that wasn't an issue with Ben, and they were disappointed. I was taking a class with Coach Culver's wife at the time, and I asked him about it. He was also disappointed, and all of the above thought he should have been a priority, but Culver is the one that first said that they were concerned about him being hot-headed. I'm not trying to upset you or attack him because, fwiw, I was rooting for him to go to Nebraska, too. They ended up taking Vedral because they had experience with the Vedral family, and there were zero concerns there. Also, fwiw, I have indirect connections with the Vedral family, too.

You really think a couple technicals in a basketball game scared off coaches when they had the Peter brothers and countless others on the team that did much worse? Come on. He had to pay his way to go to a K-State camp and got offered after he showed up.

I wasn't talking about the state of South Dakota. I was talking about Hatmacher. You take his recruiting very personally because you know the kid, the school he goes to and its coaches. Manawahusker feels the same way about Jones. Yeah he went over the line about SD, but I wasn't even talking about that.

Just speculating a bit, but I would guess the reason Frost and his staff gave Logan Jones the cold shoulder is because they were so zeroed in on putting together the 2018 class. Jones was two classes away at that point. I just think they were prioritizing 2018 kids at that point. I think now that they are caught up and have the ball rolling, guys like Jones won't fall through the cracks. Can't really blame a staff that had been on the job a couple months trying to piece together their regime-change class for not rolling out the red carpet for a kid that's still a sophomore. From everything we've seen since, this staff has gotten better and better at working ahead on kids in future classes.

This makes perfect sense.

This sounds good. Since you have claimed to know a "reliable source" in reference to this kid. I am going to guess that you have some kind of relationship with the family or coach. Otherwise why take it so personally. You never know what a kid thinks, you never know what one kid thinks is aggressive recruiting another thinks is slow playing. I do recall Scott saying he was holding off on DL offers until the new DL coach was in place. That is smart from a perspective of both the kid and the coach. If the kid commits prior to the new coach and the new coach does not like him. It creates bad optics when you have to pull the offer. If the kid does not have a good relationship with the new coach then he ends up having to decide whether to decommitt. IMHO you are WAY off on this one. The coaches handled it the right way. If we lose a kid, even a super star potential kid, doing it right. Than I am ok with it. A recruiting reputation is built on more than one kid. These coaches have a reputation for doing what is right for the kid and the team. In this case they did both. If you do not see that. My friend that is on you, not the coaches. You are crying over spilled milk here.

I remember that at the time (waiting to make d-line offers until you got a position coach). I think that makes some sense because the guy would be bringing his own rolodex and have some kids that he was in on (Jamar Sekona, Kobe Pepe, Tuli Tuipulotu and Van Fillinger were guys Tuioti quickly offered that he was pushing at Cal).

But at the same time, the staff makes offers to players outside their position group all the time. They know the system Chinander runs. They know the sort of player they'd want. There are kids that could have and should have been offered ahead of time because they were good fits regardless. JMPO, Logan Jones certainly fit that bill.

I wasn't talking about the state of South Dakota.
Did you read the whole thread? That wasn't directed to you. You just showed up at the end.
You take his recruiting very personally because you know the kid, the school he goes to and its coaches. Manawahusker feels the same way about Jones.
First, why does everybody frame this in reference to taking it "personally?" My feelings aren't involved. I'm knowledgeable about the area and the kids from it, so I speak to that. Second, @manawahusker has backtracked, so why are we still discussing it? Are YOU taking it personally?

Last edited:
Did you read the whole thread? That wasn't directed to you. You just showed up at the end.

First, why does everybody frame this in reference to taking it "personally?" My feelings aren't involved. I'm knowledgeable about the area and the kids from it, so I speak to that. Second, @manawahusker has backtracked, so why are we still discussing it? Are YOU taking it personally?

Actually I have been reading whole thread. Just hadn't had time to get in on the action. I don't take it personally Because I don't know either one of these kids. They both look like someone NU would want playing on the team.

Sorry I like your insight about a lot of things, but if you are claiming you don't take Hatmacher's recruitment personally that is BS. You have endless numbers of posts about this kid. It can't possibly just be about because " I am from the area". Guess what their is nothing wrong with taking it personally. Sorry you don't agree.

I guess I should have quoted Huskerthom from post 36. That is where I was getting the taking it personally thing from.

Sorry if I offended you.

I remember that at the time (waiting to make d-line offers until you got a position coach). I think that makes some sense because the guy would be bringing his own rolodex and have some kids that he was in on (Jamar Sekona, Kobe Pepe, Tuli Tuipulotu and Van Fillinger were guys Tuioti quickly offered that he was pushing at Cal).

But at the same time, the staff makes offers to players outside their position group all the time. They know the system Chinander runs. They know the sort of player they'd want. There are kids that could have and should have been offered ahead of time because they were good fits regardless. JMPO, Logan Jones certainly fit that bill.

this is what I was talking about in post 43. I get waiting for a new coach, but I would have thought he would have already had an offer.

I guess I am going to have to be the one who defends Manawahusker on this kid.

Huskerthom you say he is taking it way too personally. I don't think he is taking it anymore personally than MABC is doing with Hutmacher.

If the scenario is as Manawa says and he was not shown to be a priority at Jr. day that to me is a problem. The scenario may not be right, it may be a he said she said thing and Nebraska felt they gave him lots of love, who is to know.

I get not offering until a new DT is in place, but that was in January of 2019. If the kid is really that good he should have had an offer in hand from Dawson/Chinander/Frost before that. I have no idea when Iowa offered, but it does sound to me like Nebraska dropped the ball on this kid. Dawson didn't leave for the Giants until after the New Year.

Personally I want Nebraska to build its recruiting classes with local kids. That is the way it was done when NU was really good. They always had at least half of their recruits from the Nebraska and surrounding states. I want them to take Hatmacher/Jones/Gunnerson/Watts/Watts and anyone else that is worthy in Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, Wyoming, and Missouri.

Western Iowa should always be a priority to NU. Anyone that is good enough to play D1 football at a power 5 school west of Des Moines should be playing at Nebraska. Especially if they are from CB or Sioux City.

Manawahusker good to have someone from my old stomping ground on the board. I grew up in Tabor, Ia. Remember going to a lot of track meets at the LC campus.
The 2018 class was signed and put to bed by the time they had him down for Junior Day last year. They were already actively recruiting 2019 and beyond. They had also been in this area multiple times after that either in Omaha or at IWCC. It was said in another thread months ago that the attitude was all they had to do was offer him and he’d commit. Who knows why they waited. Iowa offered during his sophomore year and made him a big priority. Nebraska’s offer came only after he committed to Iowa the previous month. I’ve heard the waiting to hire the d-line coach reason before but they had a whole year prior to Dawson leaving to get him an offer.

It's a lot harder to find write-ups from the early 80s than I would have thought. He began the '82 season as the starting Right DT (keep in mind they were running a 5-man front), but he twisted his knee in practice the week before the Penn State game, which caused him to miss that game and bothered him off and on afterwards for a long, long time. I can't find anything in print that says that, but--not remembering what I just wrote about him being hurt before the Penn State game--I looked up that game on YouTube to see who were the DTs introduced as starting. If you go to the 5:07 mark, they're listing the D-line starters, and the announcer says that Herrman had twisted his knee that week and wouldn't be playing. Here's that video:

He was hurt a lot, but he did start as both a junior and a senior, and he saw some mop-up duty as a sophomore. He was a phenomenal athlete for his size (all-state basketball player), but I don't think that he was "highly recruited" by any standard. Nebraska and Wyoming were the only 2 D1 schools that recruited him as all of the SD schools were D2 or lower at the time. Looking up the above info, first of all, it's very hard to find much, and second, I hadn't remembered that he had been drafted by the USFL.

The HMax stats show him with the following stats:

1981 = 8 total tackles
1982 = 9 total tackles
1983 = 30 total tackles

Looks like he was a backup in 81, per your info for 82 he was likely an oft-injured potential starter/top backup, and probably an occasional starter or the top backup in 83. (Keeler/Stuckey other starters)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back