• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nate Clouse On The Bottom Line (7/29/19) Green/Bivens/Manning/Ajou/Morrison/Johnson

I think a lot of us (me included) thought the Frost magic would have us sitting in better shape than we are right now. As you point out, we have whiffed on a lot of the guys we had at the top of our board.

For all of the effort put into the spring game and the Big Red BBQ the recruiting results are meager at best.

Can we make it up? That remains to be seen.

This thread will be fun to look at come December

Long way to go between now and then

***, I appreciate your realistic approach to the recruiting progress, but in this comment you seem a little down. Is there something about the recruiting effort that to you is troublesome? Sure, when players go somewhere else it may look like wasted effort, but that's the nature of the process as you know better than I? Or, are you like most of us just weary of the off season and need some actual football in improve our attitudes?
I'm not down on the effort at all. Actually quite the opposite. Guys like Barrett Ruud spent a lot of time and effort on a guy like Malik Reed, to the point where we thought we had him, and it was all for not. So you go from a spot where you think you are only needing one more guy for your position in the 2020 class, to still being blanked and needing two. There's a reason places like Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama are basically full right now, and it's because they land the guys they are feeling good about and have spent time on.

But you're also right in we just need some football to get here. That said, it's better for our coaches that during the off weeks they are only finalizing their positions and recruiting, rather than looking for their first commit still.

Tons of time to make up a lot of ground. As we've talked about before, losing Xavier Watts doesn't sting if you bring in another Nance or Chase. If you bring in another McGriff, it's an issue. Not a great spot right now as we are about 25-33% behind where we thought we'd be for total commits right now, but that's how recruiting goes sometimes. Dry spells then it picks back up.

Tons of time to make up a lot of ground. As we've talked about before, losing Xavier Watts doesn't sting if you bring in another Nance or Chase. If you bring in another McGriff, it's an issue. Not a great spot right now as we are about 25-33% behind where we thought we'd be for total commits right now, but that's how recruiting goes sometimes. Dry spells then it picks back up.
Good info ***. Tough times for the staff right now on the recruiting front. Some of the Frost luster was rubbed off when the team went 4-8 last year. Hopefully they will get better results if their 2019 record improves significantly.

Good info ***. Tough times for the staff right now on the recruiting front. Some of the Frost luster was rubbed off when the team went 4-8 last year. Hopefully they will get better results if their 2019 record improves significantly.
I don't think the door is closed on a guy like Malik Reed, we are still pursuing him pretty hard. But it's tough to combat where we thought we'd be and where we are right now. Guys we worked hard on spurned us at the last minute. That will continue to happen until we get a few results. The good news is that while we hope for great results in 2019 to shake things our way, walls can crumble at other programs and guys off the board right now will all of a sudden re-appear. That said, Reed, Watts, Sekona all would look better on our commitment list right now rather than crossing our fingers to flip them. With Morrison and another guy, I believe our staff thought we'd be at 12 by the end of August, but people keep pushing back or choosing other teams. We will see what the Plan B's look like.

Last edited:
Yeah we need to rebound from back to back 4-8 seasons and show we are turning this program around. Winning and playing some good football will turn this recruiting trend around

I get what you're trying to say. I still think Nebraska signs a top 25 class and probably somewhere in the same top 15-20 as last year. But... where Nebraska is sitting in December doesn't have anything to do with how things are going currently. And they aren't going well.

I get what you're trying to say. I still think Nebraska signs a top 25 class and probably somewhere in the same top 15-20 as last year. But... where Nebraska is sitting in December doesn't have anything to do with how things are going currently. And they aren't going well.

Never said they were I agree with you

My point which you made is aTop 15-20 class looking long term looks doable

Last edited:

I mentioned some concern a month ago about where we are, and at this point it's concerning. The usual suspects will spin it to try and look like no big deal but 8 commits on Aug 1 is a concern. Period.
We most certainly can overcome and end up with a great class but right now I have to wonder a lil what's going on? Where's the big time Florida connections, as well as Texas and Calif etc?
Love the staff, concerned with legite reason, hopefull for the best

Last edited:
I mentioned some concern a month ago about where we are, and at this point it's concerning. The usual suspects will spin it to try and look like no big deal but 8 commits on Aug 1 is a concern. Period.
We most certainly can overcome and end up with a great class but right now I have to wonder a lil what's going on? Where's the big time Florida connections, as well as Texas and Calif etc?
Love the staff, concerned with legite reason, hopefull for the best

You two deserve this:

Attachments

• Calvin.jpg
    Calvin.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 39
It seems like more kids are committing early. That reduces the pool of available players. So I think there is justification in being slightly concerned at this point. But I am no where near getting ready to jump off the ledge.

The sky is certainly not falling, and I still think we put together a pretty good class.

But with that said, it's tough to spin positively that our coaches were feeling pretty good about being at 10-12 commits heading into the season, and we are sitting at 8. We felt extremely good about Malik Reed, Jamar Sekona, and Sevion Morrison. You then throw in top in-state recruit Xavier Watts leaving, Perrion Winfrey taking off to Oklahoma, Ajou Ajou loving us then Clemson swooping in, and a potential big blow coming with Jahkeem Green from the 2019 class flipping to Texas Tech at the last minute.

You can make those things up, but if you look at the amount of time and resources spent on the guys I just mentioned that could have been used elsewhere, it can add up in a hurry. We don't want to get in a situation like we are at DB right now where we are taking Lynum who we got over East Carolina and then also maneuvering for a kid that has us in his final 3 with Colorado and Florida Atlantic.
Well said!

Does Green's decision affect Bivens now? There was talking about Bivens going the greyshirt route if he gets the grades because Green would get he scholarship, but according to the scholarship number thread we still had 2 open. Or did we only have 1 available because of something else?

Last edited:

Does Green's decision affect Bivens now? There was talking about Bivens going the greyshirt route if he gets the grades because Green would get he scholarship, but according to the scholarship number thread we still had 2 open. Or did we only have 1 available because of something else?

No. Depending on the actual scholarship count will be full or Grey Shirt.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back