• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

You do not want to fish the Potomac. Pretty polluted. If you do come out this way again though. Make sure you hit me up.
I would love to go fishing with you. I should have clarified by saying the "Upper" Potomac, though I wouldn't mind catching a snakehead farther downstream.
I've been deep sea fishing 4 times
I've never done that, but I want to catch all of the billfish at some point in my life. When I'm old and decrepit, I want to talk my wife into moving to the Florida Keys or Cuba (if it's finally NOT run by a Castro), and then I can go out fishing for marlin in the Gulf Stream with a small skiff and some hand lines. Maybe I could write a story about it, too.
The New and James (as far away from Richmond as you can get) are both good smallmouth waters. The James in and around Richmond is a 'trophy' blue cat river, but smells like sewage.
I already own fishing maps and fly fishing guides for both, and I have my eye set on different things in each. I think that it would be awesome to catch trout in the headwaters of the New in NC, catch a musky on the New somewhere in VA, and catch some smallmouth on the New in WV. That's just an amazing river. I also want to catch a musky on the upper James along with some smallmouth. I know about the smell of the James in Richmond in the summer, but I think that it would be awesome to catch a monster blue catfish on a fly rod in a river in the middle of a city. It's just not something that a lot of people have done, I'm guessing.
Fun fact, the New is one of the oldest rivers in the world and one of a handful that flow north.
Yes, it is! I've driven beside it in VA and WV, and it's just an awe-inspiring river.
Its funny, I have "noodled" catfish and carp and..... Native rainbows in Colorado too!
I've never noodled any fish, though it blows my mind to see the videos of guys doing it and pulling out 75 lb flathead catfish with their bare hands.

Excuse my anal, perfectionist, teacher side, but it wouldn't be possible for you to have ever seen a "native rainbow" trout in Colorado as they weren't native to the state. "Wild rainbow," yes, and "native cutthroat," absolutely. Rainbow trout were only native to the streams of the northern Pacific watershed from California northward, but cutthroats are their closest cousins, and they filled in all of the gaps on either side of the Rockies. Beautiful fish, all around. If you're catching wild trout anywhere in the U.S., you're probably standing in some of the prettiest country around, and you're trying to catch some of the prettiest fish that swim. I like a fish that has the good taste to only live in the cleanest, coolest waters that flow in the prettiest places.

FYI, at a recent athletic banquet at Nash’s HS, the main speaker was the Wisconsin head wrestling coach.

I’m sure he wants Nash badly. But Nash has already said he plans to focus on football. Wrestling loses, but football wins.

I can't speak to it's age, but the Blue in Colorado is in the 'flows North' group as well.
The Red river just inside North Dakota near I-29 flows north. Its strange when you are driving north, all the sudden the ditches are flowing with you.

Or Georgia. In a river. In a canoe. And you hear banjo music.
If any man ever says to another man while in the outdoors, "I'm gonna make you squeal a pig," it should be legal to shoot him and legally declare it was justified self-defense.

On the other hand, this old commercial is hilarious:

It should freak anybody out if they're in Virginia. At all.
Oh, come on. Take a canoe down the lower Rapidan to where it merges with the Rappahannock and keep going until you reach Fredericksburg. Try it and then convince me that that was torture. Bring a fishing rod because there are smallmouth everywhere.

It should freak anybody out if they're in Virginia. At all.

Oh, come on. Take a canoe down the lower Rapidan to where it merges with the Rappahannock and keep going until you reach Fredericksburg. Try it and then convince me that that was torture. Bring a fishing rod because there are smallmouth everywhere.

Well, I have it on good authority that they are "a different type of outdoorsman" in that neck of the woods.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back