• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

He wants to wrestle, too. I'm not being a smart@$$ either. He and everyone close to him will tell you that he loves both sports, and that whenever he feels committed to playing the one, the season for the other starts up, and he falls in love with that one. I predict that he'll play football at Nebraska, but I don't think that it's cut and dried that wrestling isn't playing a role in what he chooses.
Not taking it as smartass, I’m pretty sure it’s football 1A and then he may want to do both 1B. He isn’t going to only wrestle. Any of the 1s happen and he’s a strong take for Frost. Him wanting to possibly wrestle as well doesn’t make us worry in my opinion.

Not taking it as smartass, I’m pretty sure it’s football 1A and then he may want to do both 1B. He isn’t going to only wrestle. Any of the 1s happen and he’s a strong take for Frost. Him wanting to possibly wrestle as well doesn’t make us worry in my opinion.
We completely agree then. The only way that I see him NOT going to Nebraska is if he ONLY wrestles, and I don't think that that's likely. Even then, I wouldn't bet against him going to Nebraska.

Great discussion gents! Agree w/ MABC that NH's interest in other schools probably only for the bennies of a free trip out of state.

good point, but I think football at NG for him is a higher percentage play and maybe a safer way to make $$

THIS ... I think the big $$ for NFL is on the DL and quality NGs are so hard to come by in the NFL ... "IF" he is as good as we hope he might be, he might be able to buy 1/2 of Brule County when he is done playing football.

First things first, just need his signature on NSD ...

I hope he comes here and gives up wrestling. He's working on staying down at 285. Assuming he wrestles his senior year and then dedicates to football prep he will show up in Lincoln may 2020 easily carrying a good 300+. By his first fall camp he should be 320 and explosive

Last edited:

I hope he comes here and gives up wrestling. He's working on staying down at 285. Assuming he wrestles his senior year and then dedicates to football prep he will show up in Lincoln may 2020 easily carrying a good 300+. By his first fall camp he should be 320 and explosive
I agree. His frame is so massive that 285 is too light for his natural carrying weight. Assuming that he finishes out high school (rather than enrolling early), I would expect him to be ready to report for weight training and summer conditioning almost immediately, and I agree that he would probably be around 320+ and more explosive by the time fall training camp starts. I know that I'm being greedy, but I would love to have the situation be one where he could just play 4 games and redshirt in '20 because I think that it's likely that we'll regret it if we could have had him for a full 5th year at his fully developed weight, strength, etc.

Last edited:
I would selfishly love to have this kid at Nebraska for winter conditioning, but deep down I hope he stays in high school and wrestles his senior year and goes out on top, you only get to be a senior one time (hopefully) I hope he enjoys it.

I would selfishly love to have this kid at Nebraska for winter conditioning, but deep down I hope he stays in high school and wrestles his senior year and goes out on top, you only get to be a senior one time (hopefully) I hope he enjoys it.

That's a valid argument, too. Unfortunately, the kid will have run out of challenges at the high school level - he's been that dominant. He will be ready for the next level if he chooses that route. Either way, he is going to be a FORCE at the college level and beyond barring serious injury.

That's a valid argument, too. Unfortunately, the kid will have run out of challenges at the high school level - he's been that dominant. He will be ready for the next level if he chooses that route. Either way, he is going to be a FORCE at the college level and beyond barring serious injury.
There was one match that was called before he pinned the kid this last year, so that's probably eating at his craw. There were matches that went into the 2nd period, so that is something else that he could clean up.

I don't think any 18-year-old is ever going to say, "Yeah, I've won enough wrestling state championships already, so I'm going to leave early in the middle of my senior year to go practice with my future college team where I'll just be another guy fighting for playing time in the fall." It's asking a lot.

Last edited:

There was one match that was called before he pinned the kid this last year, so that's probably eating at his craw. There were matches that went into the 2nd period, so that is something else that he could clean up.

I don't think any 18-year-old is ever going to say, "Yeah, I've won enough wrestling state championships already, so I'm going to leave early in the middle of my senior year to go practice with my future college team where I'll just be another guy fighting for playing time in the fall." It's asking a lot.

Not a lot would - or should, either. Garrett Nelson did this year. I don't think he's going to have a lot of regrets, but every kid's different. Garrett is from a wrestling family, too - dad Chris was All Conference for Nebraska back in the day - he beat Randy Couture who went on to his own accomplished career in MMA.

Yeah, I typically agree with you, that staying for Sr. year is a fun thing and don't fault a kid for staying. But staying to wrestle in this case is going to be silly. Entire season of beating up little kid brothers. What should be his goal? All pins 30s or less?

Opponents goals will be similar to bull riding. Try to make it to the 8 seconds mark.

So I do see the argument for leaving and in his case it might make sense, maybe because I didn't have a kid that even had the opportunity to leave early, but my kids experience in high school, both good and bad are shaping them for the future. I get he could get hurt wrestling inferior opponents and that he doesn't have much to prove at this point, I just think we rush kids into growing up soooo fast, they are missing out on the opportunity to be kids.

Nash will make the right choice for him and that is what matters, my opinion is irrelevant, I just hope he can enjoy life a bit.

So I do see the argument for leaving and in his case it might make sense, maybe because I didn't have a kid that even had the opportunity to leave early, but my kids experience in high school, both good and bad are shaping them for the future. I get he could get hurt wrestling inferior opponents and that he doesn't have much to prove at this point, I just think we rush kids into growing up soooo fast, they are missing out on the opportunity to be kids.

Nash will make the right choice for him and that is what matters, my opinion is irrelevant, I just hope he can enjoy life a bit.
It will all work out. I would be curious our staffs plan for NG... Nash seems to be a big part of that for 2020. If Damion Daniels can’t play more than 5 snaps in a row, and Darrion Daniels as well as Carlos Davis will be gone, that’s not a good spot.

Would not be shocked to see another JUCO NG in the plans.

That's what I'm expecting/hoping. No matter how much of a stud he is in high school, you don't want to be forced to rely on a true freshman NG at this level.

True not forced to rely on a true freshman at such a key spot, although our coaches may give us a glimpse of one at center if Cam Jurgens keeps progressing.

I didn’t realize that Nash was in such a small school/division in high school. He literally must face almost no competition in football, and only sporadic competition in wrestling except when he travels to USAW tourneys in the summer.

True not forced to rely on a true freshman at such a key spot, although our coaches may give us a glimpse of one at center if Cam Jurgens keeps progressing.

I didn’t realize that Nash was in such a small school/division in high school. He literally must face almost no competition in football, and only sporadic competition in wrestling except when he travels to USAW tourneys in the summer.
It's hard to quantify or qualify because at the state level, he wrestles in the largest class because South Dakota only has 2 classes for all schools for wrestling. At your average duel meet, yeah, he's probably going to go against some big, clunky kid, but once you get to the state level or to the invitationals that invite teams from multiple states (it's common to have big meets in places in and around Sioux Falls that draw teams from 3 to 5 states), it's about as competitive as anywhere else. Put it this way: South Dakota's 10th place wrestler would probably get his tail whipped by his equal from Iowa, MN, or NE, but the South Dakota state champion would at least hold his own against the champs from those states on almost any given year. There's quality at the top, but not a lot of depth.

When Hutmacher was an 8th grader there were 3 guys in the heavyweight class who were good enough to wrestle D-1, though not at the All-American level. For whatever reason, his only competition since then has been a kid who was the defending state champ at the level below him who purposefully went up a class so as to get a shot at Hutmacher. It was an epic bout, but Hutmacher's size was too much for him.

In football, the lowest class of 11-man football is a bit larger than what it is in Nebraska because the 9-man schools go as high as 150+ in high school. Historically, Chamberlain has not been much of a football power. It's kind of like what I said about South Dakota wrestling, though: the state champs could more than hold their own against neighboring state champs of equivalent enrollment, but there isn't much depth below the top few teams. I know the Chamberlain coaches personally, and they're pretty dang good, especially for a school that size, so I was somewhat surprised that they didn't go further into the playoffs last fall. I don't think that there is a lot of skill talent on the team. When one of the schools that size gets a top-notch D1 talent at one of the skill positions, they tend to win state championships. Chad Greenway, for example, was a 2-time state champion QB/LB for a 9-man football team (Stickney/Mount Vernon) in the late 90s. Unless he's got NFL caliber speed, you can usually gameplan so as to run away from a D1 lineman. It doesn't mean you'll win, but it's better to have a 300 lb NG chasing a speedy RB on a sweep than running at him with your 180 lb FB.

Are you familiar with the Reiff brothers? Riley is the Vikings OT, and he was a 1st round draft pick out of Iowa. His little brother is currently a D-lineman for Iowa. Both came out of Parkston, SD, which was then playing at the same level as Chamberlain. (Since that time Parkston has dropped down to 9-man football.) Riley Reiff never won a state championship either, but Brady did when he was a senior. He played TE, but he wasn't even the best player on that team, and they barely won state.

Nebraska just offered a scholarship to an athlete out of St. Thomas More in Rapid City, which also plays at that same level of 11-man football. They are regularly in the state championship game, but I think that they've only won it once.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back