• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

Makes his decision after the Wisconsin and Oregon visits in June. Being first and this fishing trip etc may actually be a good thing this time

Yep and they all caught fish. 20 minutes from Lincoln - guessing it must have been a stocked pond - but I like that Nash was able to see the coaches outside of their typical roles. (Wonder if Scott took recruits fishing when he was at Oregon?)

Based on this article will make his decision sometime in June

Taking him fishing was a brilliant idea. I grew up slightly further south, but also grew up fishing on the Missouri River. I honestly don't know a soul, male or female, who lives in Chamberlain who doesn't fish, and almost all hunt, so I assumed that Hutmacher does, too. The ice just broke up on the Missouri, and the water level has been high and hard to fish, so taking him out bass fishing before he could go fishing back home is like a gift to an outdoorsman. I'd heard that Frost and company like to fish, so if they know how to handle a rod & reel, it's yet another level of connection that people who don't hunt or fish won't understand.

I got to see Tuioti teaching a seminar on D-lineman drills, and he was impressive. It wasn't just that he was knowledgeable and intense, but it's clear that his players already love him. Damian Jackson and Ben Stille were there to help him demonstrate the drills, and even though he's only had a handful of practices with them, he would just tell them the name of the drill, explain (to the coaches) why they do it, and they would then execute it perfectly without being reminded of anything. It was impressive. It wasn't just 1 or 2 drills either. He used about an hour and a half and took them through a full circuit of drills, including the use of a new sled (with new techniques) that they had never used before as it had come in on Friday. The Davis twins were at the track meet next door, but they came over just to hang out and listen in. These guys seem to really click with one another, even though their backgrounds are incredibly diverse. I saw a bunch of huge alpha males who each would like to be the toughest, yet loves spending time with the others. I suspect that Hutmacher would feel drawn to that, too. There was nothing fake or brash about anyone, coach or players, yet they were so getting after it in practice that a couple of fights broke out, mainly between D-line and O-line. Again, Hutmacher would like that.

I'll be shocked if Hutmacher doesn't commit to Nebraska. I'd also be shocked if he doesn't try to parlay his trip to Madison into going fishing for a musky because we don't have those on the Missouri River (that I know of, anyway). I wonder what Eugene, Oregon, has to offer him? He doesn't seem like a fly rod and trout kind of guy.

Last edited:

Taking him fishing was a brilliant idea. I grew up slightly further south, but also grew up fishing on the Missouri River. I honestly don't know a soul, male or female, who lives in Chamberlain who doesn't fish, and almost all hunt, so I assumed that Hutmacher does, too. The ice just broke up on the Missouri, and the water level has been high and hard to fish, so taking him out bass fishing before he could go fishing back home is like a gift to an outdoorsman. I'd heard that Frost and company like to fish, so if they know how to handle a rod & reel, it's yet another level of connection that people who don't hunt or fish won't understand.

When I was looking for graduate programs - my criteria were a little different than most :Lol:. My first choice was Oregon, followed by Wisconsin at Madison. The reason? Yep, fishing possibilities. I ended up at ASU because they were the only school offering grad assistantships (employment) along with admission...so I followed the dollar instead of the fishing. :Bananalazy: That was almost 40 years ago. Knowing what I know, I'd do it differently today.

I got to see Tuioti teaching a seminar on D-lineman drills, and he was impressive. It wasn't just that he was knowledgeable and intense, but it's clear that his players already love him. Damian Jackson and Ben Stille were there to help him demonstrate the drills, and even though he's only had a handful of practices with them, he would just tell them the name of the drill, explain (to the coaches) why they do it, and they would then execute it perfectly without being reminded of anything. It was impressive. It wasn't just 1 or 2 drills either. He used about an hour and a half and took them through a full circuit of drills, including the use of a new sled (with new techniques) that they had never used before as it had come in on Friday. The Davis twins were at the track meet next door, but they came over just to hang out and listen in. These guys seem to really click with one another, even though their backgrounds are incredibly diverse. I saw a bunch of huge alpha males who each would like to be the toughest, yet loves spending time with the others. I suspect that Hutmacher would feel drawn to that, too. There was nothing fake or brash about anyone, coach or players, yet they were so getting after it in practice that a couple of fights broke out, mainly between D-line and O-line. Again, Hutmacher would like that.

I'll be shocked if Hutmacher doesn't commit to Nebraska. I'd also be shocked if he doesn't try to parlay his trip to Madison into going fishing for a musky because we don't have those on the Missouri River (that I know of, anyway). I wonder what Eugene, Oregon, has to offer him? He doesn't seem like a fly rod and trout kind of guy.

AWESOME info, Coach, thanks for posting. As for Oregon fishing, steelhead are the grand prize, though about as rare to catch as a musky. Trout, Salmon depending on the time of year. I'm sure Scott has checked several of these out: https://myodfw.com/articles/65-places-go-fishing-lane-county

That's fantastic news about Coach Tui - and that's the impression I had from afar from watching his videos and reading everything about him. It's amazing how the coaches were able to find a guy who checked so many boxes. Of course the proof will be on the field, but from what we've heard, it'll be there.

Sure hope you are right about Nash. Man could we ever make use of that guy.

Last edited:
I know he has them on his list. This is one I just do not see the Ducks winning. I do not see an Alpha Male like him fitting in out west. Plus I am pretty sure that HCSF brought up all the things he did not like about Ore. It seems like he is a Nebraska type outdoors-man. Out door people in Ore are less about hunting and fishing and more about not disrupting the ecosystem. If it was found he shot a deer the protests might lasts for months.

I know he has them on his list. This is one I just do not see the Ducks winning. I do not see an Alpha Male like him fitting in out west. Plus I am pretty sure that HCSF brought up all the things he did not like about Ore. It seems like he is a Nebraska type outdoors-man. Out door people in Ore are less about hunting and fishing and more about not disrupting the ecosystem. If it was found he shot a deer the protests might lasts for months.

Scott keeps pretty quiet about his extra-curriculars at Oregon, but I did read that he fished quite a bit, sometimes locally and sometimes excursions to Canada, etc. There is a ton of outdoors stuff to do there.

Idk, I remember some stories from when SF was at Oregon talking about being close to the mountains and the fishing. IMO I’ll take mountain trout fishing over bass pond fishing any day

It seems like he is a Nebraska type outdoors-man. Out door people in Ore are less about hunting and fishing and more about not disrupting the ecosystem. If it was found he shot a deer the protests might lasts for months.
I would agree with all of this except that I'd say that he's a "South Dakota type of outdoorsman," which is much more masculine than being a "Nebraska type outdoors-man," and infinitely more masculine than whatever they would call it in Madison, WI, or Eugene, OR. ;) I'm not going to bash the outdoors opportunities in either place because I've fished near Madison and loved it, and I'd love to go fly fishing for some ocean-run cutthroats and steelhead in all of the famous Oregon rivers,... but I don't see those coaching staffs relating to a guy who likes to catch and eat walleye (by far the most popular fish near Chamberlain, which is a walleye mecca) or shoot and eat pheasants, which is the South Dakota state pastime. Seriously, this is a brilliant stroke by Frost and his staff because he got to set the table for the expectations that he'll have on the rest of his visits.

For those who didn't grow up in that sort of hunting/fishing culture, it's hard to explain how much that matters. I went to college at USD in Vermillion, where most of the male South Dakota students grew up hunting, but the faculty didn't, and the out-of-state students rarely did, so we were in a minority in our own state, or at least it felt like it. While at USD about the only thing that I envied about SDSU was that they embraced that culture with game cleaning stations in the dorm rooms, Fishing 101 offered as a class (you literally had to catch a fish to get an "A" for the final), and the expectation that hunting and fishing were a normal, healthy part of life. Hutmacher is going to have that on his mind, now, when he goes to Madison and Eugene,... and I don't see those places measuring up to catching bass (which I'm guessing they were competing with each other to see who caught the most) with his potential future coaches, who were almost certainly talking about other fishing spots, hunting stories, etc. It matters. Brilliant.

Last edited:
Idk, I remember some stories from when SF was at Oregon talking about being close to the mountains and the fishing. IMO I’ll take mountain trout fishing over bass pond fishing any day
I'm from South Dakota, and I agree,... but even my own family thinks that I'm a bit odd because of it. You embrace what you know growing up. Guys who grow up noodling for catfish in Oklahoma don't dream about catching native cutthroats in the headwaters of the Rockies with a 4-weight fly rod. Again, I do, but trust me, I'm the weird one around here. The local fish are 1) walleye, 2) bass (largemouth, smallmouth, and white), 3) catfish, 4) northern pike, and 5) everyone grows up as a kid around here catching bluegills, crappie, and perch.

As for Frost and fly fishing, don't forget that Osborne was/is his hero and role model. Osborne had his own trout pond built with artificially aerated water to keep alive the trout that he loves to catch with a fly rod. Osborne also grew up hunting, and still hunts turkey (and pheasants, I think). In the same way that my students ask me about fly fishing and fly tying because it's unusual, cool, and I do it, I'm sure that Frost thought the same. Also, if you're not from the Sand Hills region, there are trout streams scattered across the northern parts of Nebraska as well as below and in Lake McConaughy, which would have been 3 hours west of Wood River, where he grew up. You can see guys fly fishing there. Personally, I buy a Nebraska annual fishing license so as to fish for trout near Royal, NE, and I regularly run into folks fishing there from all over Nebraska (and other states). Unless Hutmacher spent a lot of time in the Black Hills, it just isn't a common type of fishing around here, and most walleye fishermen who move to the Hills will drive back to the Missouri River big reservoirs to fish for walleye whenever possible. I'm the opposite--driving to the Hills to fly fish for trout--but, again, I'm the odd one around here.

I like them all, but prefer to chase the natural, wild variety of fish whereever I am rather than stockers. You'd enjoy river smallmouth bass fishing, too. To me they are pound-for-pound the toughest, longest fighters.

But if you need a guaranteed good time, have only a couple hours to fish, and you are taking out-of-town company to catch some fish, a stocked pond is probably the only way to go. Sounds like Frost and company have a resource like that in their pocket - and only 20 minutes from Lincoln - they are good to go!

I like them all, but prefer to chase the natural, wild variety of fish whereever I am rather than stockers. You'd enjoy river smallmouth bass fishing, too. To me they are pound-for-pound the toughest, longest fighters.

But if you need a guaranteed good time, have only a couple hours to fish, and you are taking out-of-town company to catch some fish, a stocked pond is probably the only way to go. Sounds like Frost and company have a resource like that in their pocket - and only 20 minutes from Lincoln - they are good to go!
Judging by the bass that Hutmacher was holding, and the numbers of fish that they caught, and the season of the year, I'm guessing that it was just some local bass pond that has a lot of bass. You don't need to stock a pond around Lincoln to have that sort of situation.

As for river smallmouth fishing,... that's my second favorite type of fishing, after trout. I grew up fishing the natural part of the Missouri River below Fort Randall dam, and my in-laws live in Virginia, so I now fish all of the smallmouth streams out there whenever possible. I generally do it with a fly rod, but I'm not a purist about it.

Last edited:

Scott keeps pretty quiet about his extra-curriculars at Oregon, but I did read that he fished quite a bit, sometimes locally and sometimes excursions to Canada, etc. There is a ton of outdoors stuff to do there.
I agree but it is a different type of outdoors. It may involve fishing but not nearly as much hunting. Also what can you hunt. They might have whitetail but they do not have mule deer. Both have Elk and Ore has bear and sheep. As far as bird Ore is quail and a few species of duck. Compared to Nebraska with quail, Prairie chicken, grouse, Turkey, pheasant and several species of duck and goose.

I would agree with all of this except that I'd say that he's a "South Dakota type of outdoorsman," which is much more masculine than being a "Nebraska type outdoors-man," and infinitely more masculine than whatever they would call it in Madison, WI, or Eugene, OR. ;) I'm not going to bash the outdoors opportunities in either place because I've fished near Madison and loved it, and I'd love to go fly fishing for some ocean-run cutthroats and steelhead in all of the famous Oregon rivers,... but I don't see those coaching staffs relating to a guy who likes to catch and eat walleye (by far the most popular fish near Chamberlain, which is a walleye mecca) or shoot and eat pheasants, which is the South Dakota state pastime. Seriously, this is a brilliant stroke by Frost and his staff because he got to set the table for the expectations that he'll have on the rest of his visits.
I know this is tongue in cheek but there is virtually no difference between what outdoorsman do in SD and NE. Same types of game, Similar fishing and similar culture. Wisky IMO is the real competition here.

Does anybody know if Moos hunts? He grew up on a ranch in eastern Washington, so I pretty much assume that he grew up hunting and fishing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back