• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

That’s true. I guess I still wouldn’t count on a redshirt in football tho. I also may be hesitant to get him in early for the spring then have him keep his weight exactly where it is. The goal would be to get him ready to play 2020 season which would need 30 pounds on him. That said, wrestlers can do that pretty easy.
Hope we can reel NH in Does anyone know if he would be an early enrollee? If so would be forgoing his Senior year of wrestling. And has anyone heard/seen anything about Walker and his progress? Have always heard he loved the weight room.

That’s true. I guess I still wouldn’t count on a redshirt in football tho. I also may be hesitant to get him in early for the spring then have him keep his weight exactly where it is. The goal would be to get him ready to play 2020 season which would need 30 pounds on him. That said, wrestlers can do that pretty easy.

objectively speaking he probably is better at wrestling than football. Having said that, unless you go to the WWE, you don't get paid to wrestle after college (maybe as an Olympian). So I would think he has a real shot at the NFL someday.

I just hope he chooses Nebraska Football. I think it would be too difficult to do both and play football at the with we would want him at.

This is why I like discussing with you. We can have a point counter point with no insults or hard feelings. Is he an early grad? If he is he could wrestle next spring. Then still play freshman year.
I think that winning another state title in wrestling would mean a lot to him, so I would be surprised if he is an early enrollee. It's possible, but I'd be surprised.

They would want him bigger than 300-305 to play NG for us. Add about 30 more pounds to that. So it will come down to if our staff wants our NG dropping 45 pounds after every football season. I believe NH is leaning towards not wrestling anyway, but we would let him to gain his commitment.
I agree completely about his weight, etc., if he plays NG, and I might even add a few pounds. I think that his natural playing weight at NG might be just under 350 because right now he is ALL frame with lots of places to pack some more muscle. However,...

I heard somewhere (local gossip, but I can't remember the source) that they were discussing the option of him wrestling as a freshman and redshirting in football while working on O-line. If he is insistent about playing both--and I have heard too many times from too many people to believe that he doesn't want to play both sports--the natural football position for him to play if he has to drop down to 285 for wrestling would be Guard in the O-line. It's just me putting 2-and-2 together, but it's an intriguing idea. As long as he goes to Lincoln, I'm happy, but I'd be most happy to see him playing NG, which is where I think he belongs. I think that he would be an NFL NG.

objectively speaking he probably is better at wrestling than football. Having said that, unless you go to the WWE, you don't get paid to wrestle after college (maybe as an Olympian). So I would think he has a real shot at the NFL someday.

I just hope he chooses Nebraska Football. I think it would be too difficult to do both and play football at the with we would want him at.
Actually many wrestlers become top MMA guys. https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2015-09-23/ncaa-wrestlers-ufc-or-mixed-martial-arts
To add to that. The way that NH wrestles I think he could fairly quickly be a beast in MMA.

Actually many wrestlers become top MMA guys. https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2015-09-23/ncaa-wrestlers-ufc-or-mixed-martial-arts
To add to that. The way that NH wrestles I think he could fairly quickly be a beast in MMA.
Hutmacher has a future in any level and style of wrestling that he chooses, but probably his best shot at an Olympic medal would be Greco-Roman as there aren't many people in the world who would have more upper-body strength than him (even now) who he would compete against. Give him a few years of Olympic caliber coaching, weight training, and nutrition, and he's a beast to be reckoned with.

Guess if chooses football over wrestling will be a business decision. If wrestling is where his heart is though might be hard to leave it behind, especially if he has an Olympic dream.

Guess if chooses football over wrestling will be a business decision. If wrestling is where his heart is though might be hard to leave it behind, especially if he has an Olympic dream.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that he has any sort of aspirations for the Olympics, or if he's ever even considered Greco-Roman. I'm just repeating what I've heard from those who know a lot more than me about that sort of thing.

Hope we can reel NH in Does anyone know if he would be an early enrollee? If so would be forgoing his Senior year of wrestling. And has anyone heard/seen anything about Walker and his progress? Have always heard he loved the weight room.
Good question on the early enrollee thing, no idea.

In regard to Walker, he is really stiff in the hips, needs to work on that flexibility. I wasn’t sold on his move to defense but if a kid wants to play there you let him try. He needs another year or two before he sees significant time. Even that may be stretching it with the DEs we brought in this year.

He wants to play football.
He wants to wrestle, too. I'm not being a smart@$$ either. He and everyone close to him will tell you that he loves both sports, and that whenever he feels committed to playing the one, the season for the other starts up, and he falls in love with that one. I predict that he'll play football at Nebraska, but I don't think that it's cut and dried that wrestling isn't playing a role in what he chooses.

He wants to wrestle, too. I'm not being a smart@$$ either. He and everyone close to him will tell you that he loves both sports, and that whenever he feels committed to playing the one, the season for the other starts up, and he falls in love with that one. I predict that he'll play football at Nebraska, but I don't think that it's cut and dried that wrestling isn't playing a role in what he chooses.
Yeah, pretty tough for a guy that has been so good for so long to give it up. Much higher ranked wrestler than a FB player. Im sure NU wrestling would be ecstatic to have him. (any team would)

I really don't see that happening. If he plays D-1 football, it'll be at Nebraska. The only way that I see other teams coming into play is if he decides to focus solely on wrestling.

I expect him to visit as many schools as possible, not because he necessarily intends to go there, but because it's fun for a kid from a small town in the middle of South Dakota to get to travel all over for free while getting schmoozed by some big name guys. I said before that I predict that he'll visit Minnesota while Nebraska is playing there. He comes from a family of Husker fans. You don't crap on that and go play for Minnesota or Wisconsin now, at this point in time.

Here's my prediction: Hutmacher signs with Nebraska wrestling. He goes out for football, but doesn't see the field as a freshman so that it doesn't cost a football scholarship to have him. At the end of year one, he'll decide which way he wants to go: football or wrestling. The Nebraska coaches from both sports should have no issues with any of that as it saves a football scholarship, and no wrestling coach in his right mind is going to be upset about using a scholarship to get him into the program.
He has the strength - does he have the wheels to play DE? Was wondering if he could try to weigh around 290 year 'round. People have wrestled and played football before, but football tends to push other sports out of the way.

He has the strength - does he have the wheels to play DE? Was wondering if he could try to weigh around 290 year 'round. People have wrestled and played football before, but football tends to push other sports out of the way.
The 3-4 really isn't my strength, but I'd guess maybe a Strongside-DE? He wouldn't be great out in space, so if he's taking on an OT and a TE, that seems like a good spot for him. I still think that he'd be better at NG, but, yeah, maybe that would be an option? If the coaches have to say that he can play both in order to get him on campus, maybe playing him at SDE would be a good bridge to preparing him for NG when/if he goes full-time football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back