• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

Will be visiting Madison in June. They are the prime competition. This one is far from a given for the Huskers

Will be visiting Madison in June. They are the prime competition. This one is far from a given for the Huskers
I really don't see that happening. If he plays D-1 football, it'll be at Nebraska. The only way that I see other teams coming into play is if he decides to focus solely on wrestling.

I expect him to visit as many schools as possible, not because he necessarily intends to go there, but because it's fun for a kid from a small town in the middle of South Dakota to get to travel all over for free while getting schmoozed by some big name guys. I said before that I predict that he'll visit Minnesota while Nebraska is playing there. He comes from a family of Husker fans. You don't crap on that and go play for Minnesota or Wisconsin now, at this point in time.

Here's my prediction: Hutmacher signs with Nebraska wrestling. He goes out for football, but doesn't see the field as a freshman so that it doesn't cost a football scholarship to have him. At the end of year one, he'll decide which way he wants to go: football or wrestling. The Nebraska coaches from both sports should have no issues with any of that as it saves a football scholarship, and no wrestling coach in his right mind is going to be upset about using a scholarship to get him into the program.

I agree that he couldn't play NG and wrestle at 285, but he could play Guard on the O-line at 285 or thereabouts. I'd prefer that he plays NG because it seems like a natural fit, but I'd rather he do both sports and play for Nebraska than go elsewhere. I suspect that the staff is going to offer him that option so that he can figure that out for himself ... AFTER he's already on campus and using a Nebraska scholarship.

I agree that he couldn't play NG and wrestle at 285, but he could play Guard on the O-line at 285 or thereabouts. I'd prefer that he plays NG because it seems like a natural fit, but I'd rather he do both sports and play for Nebraska than go elsewhere. I suspect that the staff is going to offer him that option so that he can figure that out for himself ... AFTER he's already on campus and using a Nebraska scholarship.
For a guy with his amount of muscle mass playing football at 300-305 and cutting down during wrestling at 285 would not be as difficult as some think. The way he works out it would be a matter of adjusting his diet. It might require him to miss the first third of the wrestling season but for a guy with this much talent that is not a huge deal. 15 # of a 300 lb frame is only 5% of your body weight. Not a huge deal.

For a guy with his amount of muscle mass playing football at 300-305 and cutting down during wrestling at 285 would not be as difficult as some think. The way he works out it would be a matter of adjusting his diet. It might require him to miss the first third of the wrestling season but for a guy with this much talent that is not a huge deal. 15 # of a 300 lb frame is only 5% of your body weight. Not a huge deal.
They would want him bigger than 300-305 to play NG for us. Add about 30 more pounds to that. So it will come down to if our staff wants our NG dropping 45 pounds after every football season. I believe NH is leaning towards not wrestling anyway, but we would let him to gain his commitment.

Last edited:
They would want him bigger than 300-305 to play NG for us. Add about 30 more pounds to that. So it will come down to if our staff wants our NG dropping 45 pounds after every football season. I believe NH is leaning towards not wrestling anyway, but we would let him to gain his commitment.
yep at least let him try. I like MABC idea. Having him redshirt and wrestle year one. Using a wrestling Schollie. Then after that if he chooses move to football.

yep at least let him try. I like MABC idea. Having him redshirt and wrestle year one. Using a wrestling Schollie. Then after that if he chooses move to football.
Not sure we will have the luxury to let him redshirt if he commits here with Piper playing OL. We haven’t taken a NG first two recruiting cycles with this staff.

Last edited:

Not sure we will have the luxury to let him redshirt if he commits here with Piper playing OL. We haven’t taken a NG first two recruiting cycles with this staff.
This is why I like discussing with you. We can have a point counter point with no insults or hard feelings. Is he an early grad? If he is he could wrestle next spring. Then still play freshman year.

This is why I like discussing with you. We can have a point counter point with no insults or hard feelings. Is he an early grad? If he is he could wrestle next spring. Then still play freshman year.
That’s true. I guess I still wouldn’t count on a redshirt in football tho. I also may be hesitant to get him in early for the spring then have him keep his weight exactly where it is. The goal would be to get him ready to play 2020 season which would need 30 pounds on him. That said, wrestlers can do that pretty easy.

Last edited:

I really don't see that happening. If he plays D-1 football, it'll be at Nebraska. The only way that I see other teams coming into play is if he decides to focus solely on wrestling.

I expect him to visit as many schools as possible, not because he necessarily intends to go there, but because it's fun for a kid from a small town in the middle of South Dakota to get to travel all over for free while getting schmoozed by some big name guys. I said before that I predict that he'll visit Minnesota while Nebraska is playing there. He comes from a family of Husker fans. You don't crap on that and go play for Minnesota or Wisconsin now, at this point in time.

Here's my prediction: Hutmacher signs with Nebraska wrestling. He goes out for football, but doesn't see the field as a freshman so that it doesn't cost a football scholarship to have him. At the end of year one, he'll decide which way he wants to go: football or wrestling. The Nebraska coaches from both sports should have no issues with any of that as it saves a football scholarship, and no wrestling coach in his right mind is going to be upset about using a scholarship to get him into the program.

Hard to not like that scenario. He then has to pick football, as I don't really care too much about wrestling. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back