• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

N2FL Ranks the 2022 Commits

Grade seems reasonable given class size and quality. This class is devoid of more than 1-2 difference makers which normally we need to have 6-8. However, we finished better than I thought we would post TA announcement to restructure SF contract

What worries me more is the 2023 class. We cannot afford two consecutive weak classes. Yet I cannot imagine us being able to recruit difference makers when no one will know if SF will be the coach for 2023 season until after at least 6 to 7 games next season. Most of the top 300 players are committed by then.

Even though Nebraska finished this class with a couple highly rated guys like Gould and Crawford, and maybe found a couple senior film gems like Emmett Johnson and Malcolm Hartzog, it's a concern that 7 of the 14 guys in the class committed less than two weeks before signing.

That's usually a recipe for misses and transfers. Historical data backs that up. Sure, everyone is over the moon about someone like Gould, but fans were stoked over guys like Marcus Fleming and Jaiden Francois. Those two were also December commitments.

Half the class being added in December is like a regime change class, and everyone knows how those classes usually end up.

I don't disagree with you on the risks of late signees. I was just happy SF did not reach further than he did.

In many ways we are and will experience the recruiting impact of changing the head coach without actually changing the head coach which is bizarre

Maybe this class will end up surprising everyone. One thing we know about experts is that they are wrong quite a bit.
The experts and all of us may miss on a recruit or two but they seldom miss on an entire class. I don’t know that this is the worst class in the Big Ten but it’s not anything at this point to get excited about.

Last edited:

The experts and all of us may miss on a recruit or two but they seldom miss on an entire class. I don’t know that this is the worst class in the Big Ten but it’s not anything at this point to get excited about.

Hopefully even you will be surprised by this class.

Even though Nebraska finished this class with a couple highly rated guys like Gould and Crawford, and maybe found a couple senior film gems like Emmett Johnson and Malcolm Hartzog, it's a concern that 7 of the 14 guys in the class committed less than two weeks before signing.

That's usually a recipe for misses and transfers. Historical data backs that up. Sure, everyone is over the moon about someone like Gould, but fans were stoked over guys like Marcus Fleming and Jaiden Francois. Those two were also December commitments.

Half the class being added in December is like a regime change class, and everyone knows how those classes usually end up.
Yes the glass is indeed half empty.

maybe, but Crawford wasn't a last minute reach that people had cooled on, just another casualty in the coaching madness. Seems that ranking h.s. prospects and recruiting classes is becoming archaic-like, since so many will bolt and not be part of the team.

The fall from grace fb team-you know it's bad in huskerland when a main article on the max is on the different ways a punter does his job (not that it isn't interesting). Sure do miss reading about bowl game preparations.

maybe, but Crawford wasn't a last minute reach that people had cooled on, just another casualty in the coaching madness. Seems that ranking h.s. prospects and recruiting classes is becoming archaic-like, since so many will bolt and not be part of the team.

The fall from grace fb team-you know it's bad in huskerland when a main article on the max is on the different ways a punter does his job (not that it isn't interesting). Sure do miss reading about bowl game preparations.

I'm not questioning Crawford's talent. He's a 4-star IMPO. But he's never been to Lincoln. It's a culture shock for a lot of kids from the south. Will he be okay being 750 miles from home? Yes, he has a great relationship with Joseph, but the majority of kids have a great relationship with their lead recruiter. Jaiden Francois loved Travis Fisher.

I'm not predicting any of these kids leaving, I'm just pointing out the trend with players like this and classes put together in this way.

I'm not questioning Crawford's talent. He's a 4-star IMPO. But he's never been to Lincoln. It's a culture shock for a lot of kids from the south. Will he be okay being 750 miles from home? Yes, he has a great relationship with Joseph, but the majority of kids have a great relationship with their lead recruiter. Jaiden Francois loved Travis Fisher.

I'm not predicting any of these kids leaving, I'm just pointing out the trend with players like this and classes put together in this way.
Agreed. Life is different in Nebraska. direct flights home from Lincoln are pretty much non-existent-And Omaha isn't an airport hub that has many direct flights either. Playing time, development, and success can cure those differences-see Iowa City and Ames as very similar location situations and Frost hasn't done the same in Lincoln.
We'll see what a change in schedule does for Husker record next year. Heupel "changed" UT it seems ahead of the "5 year plan", until you look at the Tenn schedule and who they beat.
Back in early 80's when I arrived in Fl., it was that cultural change that helped so many small colleges like Morningside as the kids couldn't wait to leave the south and welcomed the smaller cities and better treatment up north.
Anyway, your points are time test true and valued and Happy New Year.

Most schools think they did very well in this recruiting/ portal era. they are all excited. So should we be to.

We may have solved the kicker/punter/kick returner issues, and if we did, that is a huge get. It's just not glamorous and doesn't get much attention from the columnists.

I see the portal and the recruiting classes as different, but this year I think it is reasonable to consider them together. Our plusses there are in QB/RB/ and DBs, and that is saying a lot about upgrading.

Our greates misses were in pass rushers (most schools miss on that one), OL and DL. That is just too bad, since games are won and lost there.

But we also have one other big gain -- I think our replacement coaches are upgrades, and I am beginning to think SF will pay attention to what they say.

The great unknown is how the portal will be attractive to guys that have already used it. That we don't know and will only have to learn along with everyone else. I defer to experts on what will happen with December signees.

The other unknown, not quite as great, is what do we plan for additions from the portal during the next four months.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back