• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Myocarditis concerns at the heart of CFB discussions

Myocarditis can occur with other viral infections.
Four Myocarditis causes.
  • Infections viral: Rubella and polio virus. Hepatitis C. And severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus
  • Toxins: Drugs, chemotherapy and drinking alcohol (including beer)
  • Immunologic: Allergic, carbon monoxide, snake venom
  • Physical Agents: Electric shock and radiation (cellphone users?)

Last edited:

I respect your opinion, but maybe the problem is that society has not accepted that things aren't back to normal, and that they need to continue some of the "lockdown" behaviors like wearing a mask and not going to downtown bars. I don't think that people need to hide in the houses, but refusing to wear a mask or avoid indoor gatherings like bars prevents government from taking the next step in opening up. Again, this is why we can't have nice things.

I can't stress this enough - I'm not saying that you personally aren't taking precautions - I get caught in the on-or-off of these arguments. It's grey, not a black or white. I think if people were taking a few more precautions more responsible, more businesses would be open and things would be closer to the "new" normal.

EDITED for less judgement-y language
Life is about risk. We take risk every time we step outside, into our car, when we go to a concert, when we work out.

Trevor Lawrence, Scott Frost and Jim Harbaugh have said it more elegantly than I have ... operating in the “bubble” they’ve created is and would be significantly more safer and more effective than returning them home or back into the general student population.

I wear a mask out in public, I wear it in the office I work in, I don’t eat out in public. I do have family gatherings - celebrate bdays and anniversaries.

Have and will people die of COVID? - yes. Have and will people die of the Flu or Pneumonia? - yes. Statistically the percentage of young people affected by COVID is extremely small. The statistics Jim Harbaugh about the UofM shared is exceptional.

I really think the lawyers are driving this ... Thinking worst case scenarios and driving leadership down that road.

Leadership is at fault not pushing their institutions to standardize testing, safety and management protocols. I thought the B1G was ahead of this but IMO Warren failed by not getting all of his schools to have protocols as tight as Nebraska and Michigan.

The biggest problem is, this virus is too new to know what long-term effects there may, or may not be. It’s also highly contagious. WE let it get out of hand, now it’s a huge issue, and so much is still unknown.
It is simply BAFFLING to me why more people don't get this.
So based on this thinking the truth of the matter then is it will take at LEAST a decade to thoroughly analyze and understand the long term effects that may or may not exist ... so let’s stay in our bubble and live in fear for the next ten years.

So based on this thinking to presume a vaccine or another six months of caution will make things better is foolish.

Last edited:
You’d be barking up the wrong tree on that one. That’s why it’s a pandemic. You aren’t grasping that.

In my opinion, a lot of the financial suffering we see continues vs having been mitigated due to the fact that some continue to avoid recommendations such as social distancing and wearing a mask.

In my opinion, a lot of the financial suffering we see continues vs having been mitigated due to the fact that some continue to avoid recommendations such as social distancing and wearing a mask.

If you read the article by the Dean College of Public Health at a certain school we love in a New York publication a month or two ago, we should have and could have stopped this cold!

Have we figured out the long term effects of concussions yet?

Never mind. Let’s not let reality get in the way of a good pandemic.

I don't understand why people have to wear masks. Sure, in an operating room masks are needed so patients won't be infected by surgeons and nurses breathing, coughing, or sneezing on them.
But, in bars, restaurants, and other crowded indoor areas, germs are more laid back and don't infect people because the germs know it would be rude to ruin people's fun.

The STL Cardinals haven’t played since July 29. Their series this week canceled also. No bueno.

it is funny to watch, it is almost like certain posters thrive on the negative, ignoring the positives. You know, like a death rate of less than .5%, that despite the constant harping on positive cases, a very large portion of those cases people turn out just fine.. add to it, a lot report having no symptoms at all.

Last edited:

We, as a society, have not yet reached the point where we can accept that COVID-19 is a permanent part of our existence. When we do, and it will be the general population not people in authority, normal life will proceed. To be sure there will be permanent changes in how we live life, but after awhile, we adapt, accept the risk, and choose life instead of hiding in a cave. Those in authority will have to adapt to the majority, as we will eventually ignore their restrictions.
Those in authority haven't adapted to the majority in a long time. They have adapted to their lawyer, their vocal minority, or their own selfishness for power.

I find it a little strange that we all are so concerned about the athlete's welfare... regarding a potential COVID side effect when we have known years that constant blows to the head and body cause significant health issues to the mind and body later on in life.

Makes me want to make a meme with Pam saying corporate wants her to find the difference between the 2 things....
This amazes me too.
According to acsh.org
Here's the coronavirus mortality data by age group: As shown, deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent. The first age group to provide a substantial contribution to the death toll is 45-54 years, who contribute nearly 5% of all coronavirus deaths. More than 80% of deaths occur in people aged 65 and over. That increases to over 92% if the 55-64 age group is included.

With all the potential life altering injuries that football has to offer it seems we are way off based even making it a player issue especially when the pre-cautions taken to medically monitor them is over the top and much more so than if they aren't playing sports. I guess people won't rationally look at the facts and default into "well we just don't know enough about it" instead of looking at the facts of what we do know about it.

I respect your opinion, but maybe the problem is that society has not accepted that things aren't back to normal, and that they need to continue some of the "lockdown" behaviors like wearing a mask and not going to downtown bars. I don't think that people need to hide in the houses, but refusing to wear a mask or avoid indoor gatherings like bars prevents government from taking the next step in opening up. Again, this is why we can't have nice things.

I can't stress this enough - I'm not saying that you personally aren't taking precautions - I get caught in the on-or-off of these arguments. It's grey, not a black or white. I think if people were taking a few more precautions more responsible, more businesses would be open and things would be closer to the "new" normal.

EDITED for less judgement-y language
One of the problems with this thinking is believing that people going to the bars is causing the problems and that being more responsible towards precautions will open up more businesses. That goes entirely against the stated strategies that the government took from day 1. The purpose of social distancing is to flatten the curve to not overwhelm hospitals and thus lengthening the spread. This will not allow more business's to be open earlier. Exactly the opposite.

1597148655015.png

Here is the latest 7 day average for New York City. The earliest of the large cities who did no social distancing or masks in the early stages. ie herd mentality. Here is an example of the united states as a whole utilizing mandated social distancing and masks.

1597149033280.png

My point being......and most real experts agree.....is right now the only cure is your natural immunity system since a vaccine isn't available. It is almost impossible to not become exposed at some point unless you lock yourself in the basement and expect the rest of the world to expose themselves to ensure you have medical, utilities, a food chain and income for you to pay for all of that. Since that is a selfish world we can't all live in it. So in saying that.......the same amount of people are likely to be exposed, the same amount of people are likely to become sick and the same amount of people are likely to die if all things are equal.

Now in saying that.......there has been some advantages to the flattening of the curve. It has hopefully got us closer to a vaccine. How important that will be in 4-6 months is unknown because all of us hope the majority of the cases starts a downward trend. The other advantage is we have not overwhelmed the health care system and the treatment has become better. Its arguable to what extent we need to effect the 99.9% to protect the .1% that we might or might not be able to protect anyway.

Attachments

• 1597148635378.png
    1597148635378.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 36

IMO given the even small risk for long term respiratory or cardiac damage if I my draft grade was in the first three rounds I would opt out. Playing for free in an empty stadium and risking millions in earnings is not worth it.

One of the problems with this thinking is believing that people going to the bars is causing the problems and that being more responsible towards precautions will open up more businesses. That goes entirely against the stated strategies that the government took from day 1. The purpose of social distancing is to flatten the curve to not overwhelm hospitals and thus lengthening the spread. This will not allow more business's to be open earlier. Exactly the opposite.

View attachment 48739

Here is the latest 7 day average for New York City. The earliest of the large cities who did no social distancing or masks in the early stages. ie herd mentality. Here is an example of the united states as a whole utilizing mandated social distancing and masks.

View attachment 48740

My point being......and most real experts agree.....is right now the only cure is your natural immunity system since a vaccine isn't available. It is almost impossible to not become exposed at some point unless you lock yourself in the basement and expect the rest of the world to expose themselves to ensure you have medical, utilities, a food chain and income for you to pay for all of that. Since that is a selfish world we can't all live in it. So in saying that.......the same amount of people are likely to be exposed, the same amount of people are likely to become sick and the same amount of people are likely to die if all things are equal.

Now in saying that.......there has been some advantages to the flattening of the curve. It has hopefully got us closer to a vaccine. How important that will be in 4-6 months is unknown because all of us hope the majority of the cases starts a downward trend. The other advantage is we have not overwhelmed the health care system and the treatment has become better. Its arguable to what extent we need to effect the 99.9% to protect the .1% that we might or might not be able to protect anyway.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say: "New York got behind the virus by not instituting strict regulations, then caught up by using strict regulation"? New York still has pretty strict regulation, stronger than most states.

I'm pretty sure we are almost agreeing: I was saying with a little more responsibility, we would be moving forward like the rest of the world. I'm not saying that everyone should live in their basements - there are some people who should because of increased risk factors. I would like it if people would not go to huge parties, get drunk, lose inhibitions, make bad choices because COVID-19 spread affects us all.

Florida's spike in June/July was exactly because people were out and about with no precautions. If you are saying that the weak all caught it at that point and it's okay to keep going without precautions, I don't think experts believe that.

If you get exposed to it, and everyone will eventually, then there is no cure - only supportive care if needed. Totally agree.

Was listening to a discussion on myocarditis this morning. The gist of the discussion is that myocarditis is rare, studies are limited & evidence is all anecdotal & that it can result from a variety of viral issues (staph, strep, Lyme disease, etc) ... so, the boogieman has society making decisions on rare, limited & and anecdotal?

Discussion went on to say there is risk IF NOT diagnosed or treated, but very manageable if diagnosed & treated ... seems like college athletes have far better than the norm for health care too ... so what in Sam Hill are we doing?!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back