• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Myocarditis concerns at the heart of CFB discussions

The SI article lays it all out. Can anyone really expect collegiate athletics to accept this responsibility? Taking the emotion out of missing the fall season, I think a rational person would desire a better understanding and control of the virus before proceeding.

I find it a little strange that we all are so concerned about the athlete's welfare... regarding a potential COVID side effect when we have known years that constant blows to the head and body cause significant health issues to the mind and body later on in life.

Makes me want to make a meme with Pam saying corporate wants her to find the difference between the 2 things....

I think the majority of society has accepted it ... go to the beaches, or downtown bars, or shopping malls, or restaurants ... in fact some of the behavior is probably over the edge but the majority of people have accepted it.

The problem is people in authority have not yet been pressured enough to do so and are proceeding with an over-abundance of caution.
I respect your opinion, but maybe the problem is that society has not accepted that things aren't back to normal, and that they need to continue some of the "lockdown" behaviors like wearing a mask and not going to downtown bars. I don't think that people need to hide in the houses, but refusing to wear a mask or avoid indoor gatherings like bars prevents government from taking the next step in opening up. Again, this is why we can't have nice things.

I can't stress this enough - I'm not saying that you personally aren't taking precautions - I get caught in the on-or-off of these arguments. It's grey, not a black or white. I think if people were taking a few more precautions more responsible, more businesses would be open and things would be closer to the "new" normal.

EDITED for less judgement-y language

Last edited:
The SI article lays it all out. Can anyone really expect collegiate athletics to accept this responsibility? Taking the emotion out of missing the fall season, I think a rational person would desire a better understanding and control of the virus before proceeding.
The doctors in the articles also state that this doesn’t mean you cancel sports. They said that it means you should monitor for heart related issues and detailed their suggestions on how to do that.

There is also informed consent in this country. As long as we educate people on what the known risks are, people can choose to accept that risk. There are always unknown risks, and as individuals we can accept that as well. Be transparent with the information available, and let individuals make their own choices. We need to get away from telling other people what they can and can’t do with their bodies and their lives.

Finally, and it’s been said many times here, canceling football does NOT protect these players from the virus and may in fact make them more likely to contract the virus and spread it to others. That’s a rather logical conclusion from what we know and see of young people and their activity around the country. So if leaders, decision makers, and the general public are truly concerned about the welfare of the players then they would continue to provide them with the security and structure of football. Instead, the supposed adults in the room are operating out of fear of reprisal, and taking a cover you ass approach to managing this issue. Shame on them in their hypocrisy.

I think the majority of society has accepted it ... go to the beaches, or downtown bars, or shopping malls, or restaurants ... in fact some of the behavior is probably over the edge but the majority of people have accepted it.

The problem is people in authority have not yet been pressured enough to do so and are proceeding with an over-abundance of caution.
I don’t think people have accepted it yet at all. Many still fight it. That’s why we are where we are now. I hate wearing a mask, it sucks, i do it, but I’m not going to be careless or dumb either. I don’t go in crowded places at all. Hit the grocery store when its not packed, wash your hands, OFTEN. Other than some inconveniences, you just go on about your business. In fact, I’m about to head to the lake with my boat right now, it’s going to be 97° today.

The biggest problem is, this virus is too new to know what long-term effects there may, or may not be. It’s also highly contagious. WE let it get out of hand, now it’s a huge issue, and so much is still unknown.

The doctors in the articles also state that this doesn’t mean you cancel sports. They said that it means you should monitor for heart related issues and detailed their suggestions on how to do that.

There is also informed consent in this country. As long as we educate people on what the known risks are, people can choose to accept that risk. There are always unknown risks, and as individuals we can accept that as well. Be transparent with the information available, and let individuals make their own choices. We need to get away from telling other people what they can and can’t do with their bodies and their lives.

Finally, and it’s been said many times here, canceling football does NOT protect these players from the virus and may in fact make them more likely to contract the virus and spread it to others. That’s a rather logical conclusion from what we know and see of young people and their activity around the country. So if leaders, decision makers, and the general public are truly concerned about the welfare of the players then they would continue to provide them with the security and structure of football. Instead, the supposed adults in the room are operating out of fear of reprisal, and taking a cover you ass approach to managing this issue. Shame on them in their hypocrisy.
You are dead on right. If this heart issue is a threat to the student athletes, then they will never be in a better position to be monitored and cared for than as part of a team. If there is no season, then the student is put more at risk being away from the closely controlled environment of a sports season. And you just delay dealing with the issue until the season gets closer sometime down the road; you don’t really gain an advantage.

Last edited:

You’d be barking up the wrong tree on that one. That’s why it’s a pandemic. You aren’t grasping that.
If you were losing your house, credit future, business, and wife because your specific job was shut down unfairly by overworked government officials who wouldn't give you a review, you might have a little compassion. Government aid is many times not enough for some.
Many in the scientific community find it amazing how strongly opinionated Karen and her internet blogs are from only reading the National Enquirer for their medical virological degree. Truth is experts can't agree and use humility in the matter. Let's be careful and follow suit.
Interesting times we are in. Let's test and play Kansas in football if the players want to. I could use some social distancing yelling at my tv.
My sympathy to all who have suffered the loss of a loved one. If you are a boomer with hbp or diabetes stay home. Be safe. Be blessed.

Myocarditis concerns at the heart of CFB discussion

The report suggests that the incident rate is low, but obviously causing concern for conference officials.

It makes sense that the MAC would cancel the season because they can’t afford the additional cost of these protocols. The P5 conferences can afford it. Stay tuned to see what conference leaders decide to do.
...and the players could get hit by the bus on the way to the stadium. If you have an agenda, the reason is secondary.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back