• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Myerberg on Rhule

They might man up for that game, but they will have a team mostly comprised of kids who have not been there long enough to know they should hate Nebraska, let alone actually hate them.
I’m sure there are plenty of people in Boulder who will remind all the newbies, including Deion.

I have no idea what to expect from CU. Deion has enough flash to bring in the talent, but does he have enough substance to develop that talent? Didn't CU have the top ranked haul from the portal? I guess we will learn a lot from his first game. Regarding Minnesota, if we lose and it's a really close game, I would be OK with that. I expect us to get better as the season goes on.

Between Minnesota and Colorado In my opinion Minnesota has the better coach and overall structure and Colorado has the better QB and overall skill position talent BUT no overall cohesiveness or team structure

Minnesota will depend on how well our interior DL can hold up. Snow coached against them last season and made some pretty solid adjustments with a god awful DL. We stop the run and we’ll have a good shot.

I imagine we will line up and overwhelm CU with physicality and depth. We match up really well to their scheme as I expect them to have zero running game or interior defense and our 335 will cause all kinds of problems for their passing game.

I’d guess 1-1, but we’re paying for a good coach, so we’ll see if he can outprepare the boat guy.

Last edited:

Agreed. It won't be the end of the world if we don't look like world beaters right out of the gate. We'll have to see how the season progresses. But it would be great to start strong. For once, I'd like the team's performance to be a positive surprise!
Agree

I feel better about Rhule than anyone over the past three hires.

Bo had no experience as a head coach and obviously had a fiery personality. Riley seemed like a nice guy but had a history of average to mediocre results; and getting more resources and a school with a stronger history didn't change things. Frost's tenure was flat out weird from the start, and got worse as time progressed.

Interesting, it almost, just almost make one pine for... Callahan, NOT! Callahan was even weird in that he seemed to have forgotten everything he ever learned and knew about College ball. And no, it didn't change that much in his ten years in the pro's. Cally just got too used to and comfortable with the NFL to be effective in College, and also, he wasn't Head Coach material. So I have to rank Rhule as higher than Cally (there were inklings of Cally issues before the first game and season).

So I remain very optimistic we'll see improvement in the on-field product. I don't know that we can improve our win total, but I will be very happy just being bowl eligible. If we do worse record wise; I will base my judgement on the on-field product.
If we’re going off how we felt in the moment, the day that person was hired, I’d rank’em like this.

4) Bill Callahan – I never liked him as an NFL head coach and I hated the move to a pro-style offense given our personnel. Not to mention the coaching search was a poop show. It felt like all a sudden we weren’t Nebraska anymore.

3) EDIT: I forgot Riley! - That says it all. I completely forgot about him. I wasn't thrilled with it. Hoped he might work out.

2b) Matt Rhule – I can’t quite put him ahead of Pelini which I’ll get to. I’m excited for Rhule. I didn’t have a preference for who Nebraska hired but I think he’s as good as we could have hoped for.

2a) Bo Pelini - Just edges out Rhule because at the time, Osborne was the AD, Pelini was a hardnosed defensive-minded coach and it felt like we might be back on track. And in some ways, we were.

1) Scott Frost – Come on. Anyone who doesn’t have Frost #1 on their list is either lying or knew him personally. Those are the only two acceptable answers. Great pedigree, an undefeated season, former Husker qb. The list goes on and on, we all know the resume.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is looking for them to be world beaters right out of the gate. However, you have to factor in who NU is playing IMO. A team in Minnesota, who will never WOW you with athleticism, has many changes as well. Colorado has all kinds of issues. Both of these are winnable games IMO. Have to beat CU. Can’t lose that game.
Colorado is all hype and might be the worst P5 team in the nation next year. Similar to Northwestern last year. Lose that game and it will indicate a loooong season.

If we’re going off how we felt in the moment, the day that person was hired, I’d rank’em like this.

4) Bill Callahan – I never liked him as an NFL head coach and I hated the move to a pro-style offense given our personnel. Not to mention the coaching search was a poop show. It felt like all a sudden we weren’t Nebraska anymore.

3) EDIT: I forgot Riley! - That says it all. I completely forgot about him. I wasn't thrilled with it. Hoped he might work out.

2b) Matt Rhule – I can’t quite put him ahead of Pelini which I’ll get to. I’m excited for Rhule. I didn’t have a preference for who Nebraska hired but I think he’s as good as we could have hoped for.

2a) Bo Pelini - Just edges out Rhule because at the time, Osborne was the AD, Pelini was a hardnosed defensive-minded coach and it felt like we might be back on track. And in some ways, we were.

1) Scott Frost – Come on. Anyone who doesn’t have Frost #1 on their list is either lying or knew him personally. Those are the only two acceptable answers. Great pedigree, an undefeated season, former Husker qb. The list goes on and on, we all know the resume.
I was not saying how I felt on the day they were hired... If I did that, I would probably go 1) Scott Frost; 2) Matt Rhule; 3) Bo Pelini; 4) Bill Callahan (mostly due to the botched search) and 5) Riley.

An interesting point, I am not sure where I started having huhs? with Frost. It may have been later in the summer or fall camp. So maybe I am being too early in saying I think Rhule looks to be better than the last four, but I have generally tried to stay openminded on all and wanted to gave them every chance (and not give credibility to the naysayers). But Rhule has done nothing to make me be concerned and continues to seem to do all the right things that can bring us back to respectability.

Last edited:

I was not saying how I felt on the day they were hired... If I did that, I would probably go 1) Scott Frost; 2) Matt Rhule; 3) Bo Pelini; 4) Bill Callahan (mostly due to the botched search) and 5) Riley.

An interesting point, I am not sure where I started having huhs? with Frost. It may have been later in the summer or fall camp. So maybe I am being too early in saying I think Rhule looks to be better than the last four, but I have generally tried to stay openminded on all and wanted to gave them every chance (and not give credibility to the naysayers). But Rhule has done nothing to make me be concerned and continues to seem to do all the right things that can bring us back to respectability.
My first "huh" moment with Scott was when they played at Minnesota, and he complained about his players wearing hoodies in warm-ups because of the weather. My first thought was " if it is a concern, why did he allow it?".

I'm sure there are folks that saw things wayyyy before that. To them, I apologize, and congratulations on being first, lol.

Colorado is all hype and might be the worst P5 team in the nation next year. Similar to Northwestern last year. Lose that game and it will indicate a loooong season.
I'm not so sure.

If Rhule is what I think, we'll be a significantly better team at the end of the season than the beginning. And we'll be a significantly better team in year two than year one.

No clue what to expect from Colorado. But I do agree that could still be a bad team -- or at least I'm very skeptical CU will be a bowl team in 2023. However, they'll have more talent than either of the times the Buffs beat Frost.

Reality is, it'll be the second road game to open a new era. Lots of new with Nebraska too. And it'll be Deion's home opener. I think we could and maybe should win -- but if we don't, I doubt that means the rest of the season will be a disaster. We'll be super green on September 9th in Boulder. We absolutely should be a noticeably better team in October and November. Not like year five of Frost -- when I already knew the struggles were to be expected, as he'd long since mastered underachieving.

Only change is I would make is Matt Rhule has way better resume than (turned around two dumpster fires, NFL experience and there is no comparison to the energy between him SF) SF when hired so I would put number 1

For me, excitement level when hired:

1. Rhule
2. Bo
3. Frost
4. Riley
5. Callahan

I was much more excited with Bo's hire than Frost's. Because he'd done much more at P5 level. And I love the idea of a dominating defense more than anything. We got a taste in '03. And then he got his national title in '07 with LSU. I wasn't convinced what Frost did at UCF would translate to the Big Ten. As it turned out, Bo wasn't nearly what I'd hoped -- and I was glad when he was gone. But in '08, I was 100% team Bo. His first home game against Western Michigan is still the last NU game I've attended.

Rhule is #1 on my initial excitement level. I've long admired Matt, and followed him closely when he took the Temple job -- as I lived in Philly for 12 years.

Last edited:

For me, excitement level when hired:

1. Rhule
2. Bo
3. Frost
4. Riley
5. Callahan

I was much more excited with Bo's hire than Frost's. Because he'd done much more at P5 level. And I love the idea of a dominating defense more than anything. We got a taste in '03. And then he got his national title in '07 with LSU. I wasn't convinced what Frost did at UCF would translate to the Big Ten. As it turned out, Bo wasn't nearly what I'd hoped -- and I was glad when he was gone. But in '08, I was 100% team Bo. His first home game against Western Michigan is still the last NU game I've attended.

Rhule is #1 on my initial excitement level. I've long admired Matt, and followed him closely when he took the Temple job -- as I lived in Philly for 12 years.
Bo had done more than Frost on a P5 level? Sure. But not even close as a college coach.

Last edited:
Bo had done more than Frost on a P5 level? Sure. But not even close as a college coach.

Well again, I put less stock in Frost's time at UCF, as I said at the time and several times after. That was accomplished in a conference (AAC) that commonly plays little to no defense. UCF was winning games with scores like 63-48. I also downplayed the win over Auburn, as that Auburn team went into that game after being knocked out of the playoff by losing the SEC championship game. No better team to play than the one who had their hopes dashed at the end of the regular season. I needed convincing what happened at UCF translate well in the Big Ten. Didn't say it couldn't or wouldn't -- but I'm typically a very skeptical person in general. Never been a true Koolaid drinking fan. I also admitted to being a bit disgusted by Huskermax turning into a UCF forum for much of 2017. ;)

When Frost was hired, he was crowned king from the start. That rubbed me wrong. Reality told me, it would be very difficult for Frost to live up to the expectations of "In Frost we Trust" t-shirts and hats -- and a print I saw with Osborne, Devaney, and Frost as the NU coaching gods. We placed him on a pedestal before he'd done anything. Huge mistake. Fortunately, I think most fans are more realistic with Rhule. But when I see some predicting 8-9 wins in 2023, I realize not everyone has grasped reality.

Last edited:

I like this. I could probably put Callahan and Riley as 4a and 4b.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back