• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Myerberg on Rhule

Well again, I put less stock in Frost's time at UCF, as I said at the time and several times after. That was accomplished in a conference (AAC) that commonly plays little to no defense. UCF was winning games with scores like 63-48. I also downplayed the win over Auburn, as that Auburn team went into that game after being knocked out of the playoff by losing the SEC championship game. No better team to play than the one who had their hopes dashed at the end of the regular season. I needed convincing what happened at UCF translate well in the Big Ten. Didn't say it couldn't or wouldn't -- but I'm typically a very skeptical person in general. Never been a true Koolaid drinking fan. I also admitted to being a bit disgusted by Huskermax turning into a UCF forum for much of 2017. ;)

When Frost was hired, he was crowned king from the start. That rubbed me wrong. Reality told me, it would be very difficult for Frost to live up to the expectations of "In Frost we Trust" t-shirts and hats -- and a print I saw with Osborne, Devaney, and Frost as the NU coaching gods. We placed him on a pedestal before he'd done anything. Huge mistake. Fortunately, I think most fans are more realistic with Rhule. But when I see some predicting 8-9 wins in 2023, I realize not everyone has grasped reality.
I wouldn’t say he hadn’t done anything. He was just awarded National coach of the year.

As was mentioned, replacing the starting QB, and most of the OL. They weren’t that good with them. Minnesota is sooooo average. They are, however, well coached, which is why they win.
They will run the ball and run the ball more and when they are done running they will still be running. Their D is strong. They are well coached on both sides of the ball

“Matt Rhule is a legitimately good college football head coach. Fans who are talking about the Carolina Panthers don’t get it. He changed the culture at places that were in really, really bad situations so he’s got an even better shot than an alumnus of waking up the sleeping giant.” - An opposing Big Ten assistant coach

Gorney’s take: FACT. Rhule has two losing seasons as a college football head coach - his first year at Temple and his first season at Baylor. He left Temple with back-to-back 10-win campaigns and he left Baylor after an 11-win season. Rhule knows culture, he knows how to build a winning roster that believes in itself and he knows how to turn around programs. I also agree with the coach who said he could do a better job than a former alumnus. Scott Frost was an unmitigated disaster at Nebraska and the history books will explain why but sometimes an outsider, who like Rhule has fostered the old ways with embracing his own vision, is the best thing for a place like Nebraska. Has college football become so Balkanized and regionalized that only Southeast teams - and maybe a few others - have a real shot? That’s up for debate but Rhule is the right man for the Huskers.

“Matt Rhule is a legitimately good college football head coach. Fans who are talking about the Carolina Panthers don’t get it. He changed the culture at places that were in really, really bad situations so he’s got an even better shot than an alumnus of waking up the sleeping giant.” - An opposing Big Ten assistant coach

Gorney’s take: FACT. Rhule has two losing seasons as a college football head coach - his first year at Temple and his first season at Baylor. He left Temple with back-to-back 10-win campaigns and he left Baylor after an 11-win season. Rhule knows culture, he knows how to build a winning roster that believes in itself and he knows how to turn around programs. I also agree with the coach who said he could do a better job than a former alumnus. Scott Frost was an unmitigated disaster at Nebraska and the history books will explain why but sometimes an outsider, who like Rhule has fostered the old ways with embracing his own vision, is the best thing for a place like Nebraska. Has college football become so Balkanized and regionalized that only Southeast teams - and maybe a few others - have a real shot? That’s up for debate but Rhule is the right man for the Huskers.

I disagree with his take on Wiscy. We tried to go pass crazy with Cally and Riley. Wiscy gets more wind weather than we do. Do not believe it will work there. But we shall see what happens when they get a little lake effect snow.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back