• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My interest in college football might be entering the transfer portal

I have a feeling that if Frost or the next Nebraska head coach figures out how to use the transfer portal as an advantage, the love of college football might return for those who hated the idea ;)
I have a feeling certain programs already have figured out how to manipulate the transfer portal to their advantage. Obviously Nebraska isn't one of those programs! :mad:

GO5 isn't to bad either. I get great season ticket seats to a winning program for just over $300 and they are getting their own brand new stadium soon. Good times to be an SDSU fan.

C

Yes and I forgot the FCS. There are some really great venues and programs around the country.

My alma mater, West Texas A&M, has a very nice new stadium with a massive club level. Very affordable. Not an all day event to make a game and its very enjoyable. I'm drifting this sort of direction.

1610292723256.png

Last edited:
GO5 isn't to bad either. I get great season ticket seats to a winning program for just over $300 and they are getting their own brand new stadium soon. Good times to be an SDSU fan.

C
Hold on, there is only one SDSU. South Dakota State University. C'mon, man.

To your message though, these FCS programs are fun to watch too. Good football, close by, affordable. Just sucks that the Jacks have to get through the Bison if they ever want to win it all.

Well, you think the Transfer Portal is a problem now, just wait until they add the player payments for their likeness to the system.

Since the "big money" will be for those players at the schools on TV the most, going to the playoffs, featured on ESPN's TOP Ten plays, etc guess what that will do to struggling programs like DONU?

Yes, even more of a push for the best players to not find their way to Lincoln, or if they did get there, to stay in Lincoln for very long.......

What was that saying about the rich getting something, oh yeah, richer!

GBR

Last edited:

Well, you think the Transfer Portal is a problem now, just wait until they add the player payments for their likeness to the system.

Since the "big money" will be for those players at the schools on TV the most, going to the playoffs, featured on ESPN's TOP Ten plays, etc guess what that will do to struggling programs like DONU?

Yes, even more of a push for the best players to not find their way to Lincoln, or if they did get their, to stay in Lincoln for very long.......

GBR

Spot on. The golden goose of major college football is on life support in ICU. She has an imminent expiration date.

But the portal is not killing every program. And I find it really hard to conclude that a kid should be required to stay with a college if he is unhappy with it. They only have four years or so to play the game, and many at NU don't think it is in their interest to stay and fritter away those years with the program. We shouldn't say they don't have a choice. We should make our program so good that players want to transfer in. I don't see a lot of really good players desperately wanting to transfer into our program.

That won't happen with this coaching staff. I think the word is out now about the quality of this staff. Players probably would feel more like staying if the coaching staff was better.

But the portal is not killing every program. And I find it really hard to conclude that a kid should be required to stay with a college if he is unhappy with it. They only have four years or so to play the game, and many at NU don't think it is in their interest to stay and fritter away those years with the program. We shouldn't say they don't have a choice. We should make our program so good that players want to transfer in. I don't see a lot of really good players desperately wanting to transfer into our program.

That won't happen with this coaching staff. I think the word is out now about the quality of this staff. Players probably would feel more like staying if the coaching staff was better.

No, you are right, this is the pendulum swinging far the other way.

Where during the "Golden Years of College Football" players were in essence chattel (think Bear Bryant could take kids out to the boonies and damn near kill them like he did at A&M in the mid 1950's?) and now the kids are their own "market property".

Just makes for a much harder environment for the struggling programs, like DONU, not for "The" Ohio State University, Alabama, Clemson, etc.

And likely, in time when massive abuse occurs, and it will, the pendulum will swing back, but too late for the current staff in Lincoln.

It's not a matter of the transfer portal killing programs. It's a matter of big time college football going the way of the NFL. "Cheering for laundry".

Last edited:
Hold on, there is only one SDSU. South Dakota State University. C'mon, man.

To your message though, these FCS programs are fun to watch too. Good football, close by, affordable. Just sucks that the Jacks have to get through the Bison if they ever want to win it all.

You are right, there is only one. :thumbsup: Go Aztecs!!!!

1610327701619.png

C

I'm right there with you. It's not only the transfers and the lack of loyalty, but also the soon-to-be Name-Image-Likeness payments to players that is going to make college football players not much more than paid mercenaries. And then you have players opting out of bowl games because they want to focus on their NFL career. And 11:00 am kickoffs which also don't help the college football experience.

I have season tickets that have been in the family since the stadium was first built in the 1920's, but I really don't know how much longer I will keep them. College football is no longer the sport that I grew up loving.
if you decide to dump them let me know

Yes, even more of a push for the best players to not find their way to Lincoln, or if they did get there, to stay in Lincoln for very long.......

GBR
Well we should promote offensive linemen like crazy. Other schools can promote their skill guys. We will put the pipeline in advertisements!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back