• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My initial thoughts on us playing

Expanding scholarship limits is one thing, but in the face of so many schools (all?) losing money and faced with potentially cutting some sports, will the schools take advantage of the extra space, or be forced to actually cut back on scholarship awards? Whether the NCAA says you can have 85 or 120 scholarships for football, there may be very few schools who can afford to award the limit.

Don’t forget Title IX either. Expanding scholarships for football (a male sport) may require proportional expansion of scholarships in non-male sports. Haven’t analyzed the issue, but there’s a host of trickledown (no politics intended) consequences to the scholarship issue. It ain’t just football.

Don’t forget Title IX either. Expanding scholarships for football (a male sport) may require proportional expansion of scholarships in non-male sports. Haven’t analyzed the issue, but there’s a host of trickledown (no politics intended) consequences to the scholarship issue. It ain’t just football.

If all athletes in all sports get to extend their scholarship, then they still should be in compliance with Title IX. At least if they were in compliance to start with. If you have 150 male and female now, they all get extended and 40 of each get added next year...you now have 190 of each.....190=190. Still in compliance.

If all athletes in all sports get to extend their scholarship, then they still should be in compliance with Title IX. At least if they were in compliance to start with. If you have 150 male and female now, they all get extended and 40 of each get added next year...you now have 190 of each.....190=190. Still in compliance.

Sure. But what are the economics of doing that?

Just an FWIW post, as I don't want to start a thread for it ... Baylor's game tomorrow against Houston is cancelled, making it three consecutive games Houston has had to scrap (Rice and Memphis, prior to Baylor). In all three cases, it was the opposing team who couldn't play.

Last edited:

Our number is 8 and we have to sit the weeks game out. But to your point, not sure how we get to that number if it's all in one testing cycle or what. For me, 5% of your team testing positive is manageable for us. Mizzou basically has 10% of their team with it and is still playing in a week.
The good news is that our positivity number is higher than some other programs, but that also leaves us with ~160 shots on goal. Everybody here seems to think our players are less susceptible, sanitary and disciplined in pandemic protocol than other schools. I'm not convinced we can make that assumption.

Just an FWIW post, as I don't want to start a thread for it ... Baylor's game tomorrow against Houston is cancelled, making it three consecutive games Houston has had to scrap (Rice and Memphis, prior to Baylor). In all three cases, it was the opposing team who couldn't play.
Seeing reports that Baylor unable to play due to contact tracing. No actual positive test occurred. Hopefully that is something the rapid tests can keep from happening in the BIG.

Seeing reports that Baylor unable to play due to contact tracing. No actual positive test occurred. Hopefully that is something the rapid tests can keep from happening in the BIG.

Yeah, that's at least part of a rumor I've seen. It appears Baylor didn't issue an official report with specifics.

It will be interesting to see how it's all handled by the Big Ten.

I wonder if the BIG 10 has thought about adding some flexibility. We have 14 teams and will only be playing 8 games. If Nebraska's opponent, Indiana, can't play next week, and Purdue's opponent, Illinois, can't play next week, can they do a quick shuffle and Nebraska plays Purdue instead since both lost their opponent.

This may mean a team's 8 game schedule may not look the same at the end of the season, but they may get in all 8 games as long as they didn't have to sit out a week.

I wonder if the BIG 10 has thought about adding some flexibility. We have 14 teams and will only be playing 8 games. If Nebraska's opponent, Indiana, can't play next week, and Purdue's opponent, Illinois, can't play next week, can they do a quick shuffle and Nebraska plays Purdue instead since both lost their opponent.

This may mean a team's 8 game schedule may not look the same at the end of the season, but they may get in all 8 games as long as they didn't have to sit out a week.
That would be the smart thing to do. But then again we’re talking about the Big Ten. It’ll be interesting to see what they actually do.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back