• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My hobby

You should see some of the streams where I am at in North Georgia. I know nothing about tying flies or fly fishing but the Toccoa River which is flowing through my backyard while I'm here on vacation looks like a fly fisherman's paradise. I'm an old walleye fisherman which is frustrating around Nashville.

I've been in the south now for.....fourteen or fifteen years and have fly fished less and less over that time. Found some good streams in North Carolina that had decent trout, but I just haven't had time. I've heard of some spots in North Georgia and Tennessee that are worth a trip. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get some time off in the coming year and break out the fly rod again.

Used to tear up walleye in Eastern Colorado and Western Nebraska. I miss those days as well. Everyone here chases 'green carp' or crappie. Don't get me wrong, I love eating crappie, but I'm not sure much beats being knee deep in a cold stream.

I've been in the south now for.....fourteen or fifteen years and have fly fished less and less over that time. Found some good streams in North Carolina that had decent trout, but I just haven't had time. I've heard of some spots in North Georgia and Tennessee that are worth a trip. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get some time off in the coming year and break out the fly rod again.

Used to tear up walleye in Eastern Colorado and Western Nebraska. I miss those days as well. Everyone here chases 'green carp' or crappie. Don't get me wrong, I love eating crappie, but I'm not sure much beats being knee deep in a cold stream.
Grew up fishing the damn below Red Wing Minnesota (boots and pottery fame) on the Mississippi. Walleye and Sauger were always hitting it. I kill to find a good restaurant that serves walleye-almost impossible. They are serving smoked trout at every little place around me here so I assume it's plentiful.

Grew up fishing the damn below Red Wing Minnesota (boots and pottery fame) on the Mississippi. Walleye and Sauger were always hitting it. I kill to find a good restaurant that serves walleye-almost impossible. They are serving smoked trout at every little place around me here so I assume it's plentiful.

Likely farmed.

We've got a few places around here that sell 'Locally caught' crappie and catfish....but they're all farm raised.

I haven't found a better trout stream anywhere than the Snake River below Merritt Reservoir in north central Nebraska. Naturally reproducing rainbows and browns. Tremendous quantity and quality of fish. Only problem is its private, as well as very rugged. 5 trips up there this summer, with another one to go.

I haven't found a better trout stream anywhere than the Snake River below Merritt Reservoir in north central Nebraska. Naturally reproducing rainbows and browns. Tremendous quantity and quality of fish. Only problem is its private, as well as very rugged. 5 trips up there this summer, with another one to go.

Never fished it, but I’d like to.

I’ve fished some beauties in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. I spent most of a summer fishing around Yellowstone and those are some great rivers.

I’ve fished some beauties in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. I spent most of a summer fishing around Yellowstone and those are some great rivers.
I can get you on it if you get back this way. 5 hour drive from Lincoln. Vigorous effort getting up and down the canyon, but I know you're in shape! Every year now is a bonus for me. 2 world class golf courses within 5 miles also. Kayaking the Niobrara. Fish the refuge lakes or Merritt. Cherry County is a paradise. But of all the activities, trout fishing on the Snake is the best.

I can get you on it if you get back this way. 5 hour drive from Lincoln. Vigorous effort getting up and down the canyon, but I know you're in shape! Every year now is a bonus for me. 2 world class golf courses within 5 miles also. Kayaking the Niobrara. Fish the refuge lakes or Merritt. Cherry County is a paradise. But of all the activities, trout fishing on the Snake is the best.

I enjoy a vigorous effort now and again.

Sounds awesome.

What do I need to do to get in on fishing here? I already have a Nebraska annual fishing license and enough flies for an army of 6th graders to lose in trees. Help a brother out here. ;)

A few years ago I decided to paint my own lures. So I guess my fishing hobby has turned into a paint the lure and catch a fish with it.

Here's a few of the lures I've painted and the fish I've caught with them.

View attachment 68558View attachment 68559View attachment 68560

I like your work! Like @CrabHusker,I am a long-time fly tier, but I've also made and tied my own jigs, walleye spinners, inline spinners (Mepps and Panther Martin imitations),... but I've yet to get into painting plugs. I even got an Iwata air brush as a gift a few years back, but I have yet to break it in. I had planned to use it for both minnow jigs and plugs, but I've had too much other stuff on my hands to do it all.

Where are you at? I'd love to either fish with you or come by and see how you have your space set up for painting.

What do I need to do to get in on fishing here? I already have a Nebraska annual fishing license and enough flies for an army of 6th graders to lose in trees. Help a brother out here. ;)

2022. Let’s do it. Don’t need a license. FYI, I can guide the water, and know about every spot that holds trout, but I actually spin fish the river. Hope to get proficient at fly fishing if I can ever retire.

I will be back pheasant hunting near Platte in November.

I like your work! Like @CrabHusker,I am a long-time fly tier, but I've also made and tied my own jigs, walleye spinners, inline spinners (Mepps and Panther Martin imitations),... but I've yet to get into painting plugs. I even got an Iwata air brush as a gift a few years back, but I have yet to break it in. I had planned to use it for both minnow jigs and plugs, but I've had too much other stuff on my hands to do it all.

Where are you at? I'd love to either fish with you or come by and see how you have your space set up for painting.
I'm about 30 miles outside of Omaha.

I don't have anything special set up for painting, just a spot on a counter.

I get the satisfaction of catching fish on a lure I paint, but painting got me into using more crank baits, and I think way too many people pass them by. Don't like to mess with the treble hooks, plus the cost.

If you look at the lures I posted, they have the same body style as the 1.5 by Megabass. Megabass 1.5 is $18 to $20, which means you either can't afford it, or can't afford to lose it. I buy knockoffs from China in the same body style for $1 each. I can buy them here in the US, but they are usually $3, and they are the same thing I'm buying for $1.

If you're in the area let me know.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back