• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Hero, My Mentor, My Dad

My sincere condolences but words can never convey what the loss of our dads means to all of us here. Lost my dad about 6 years ago another WW2 vet and member of the greatest generation. Funny story was when my brother and I were cleaning out my dads personal belongings we opened up a nice mahogany box buired deep in his bedroom dresser. When I opened it was stunned to see a silver star, bronze star, many battle citations and a purple hearts. I did know he landed D-day at Omaha Beach and was a 1st lieutenant (at the time) in the combat engineers. He fought from there all the way to Berlin. I still have many photo's he took on his combat journey in WW2.

I'm a gulf war vet yet dad NEVER talked to me (or anyone) about his combat service except for funny anadotes about his time overseas. My brother has never served and really didn't truly comprehend the significance of what we viewed in that little wooden box. These people returned to civilan life and asked for nothing but the opportunity to build their lives. Dad went on to a great business career and eventually became executive VP of a Fortune 500 company. I actually followed my grandfathers career in law enforcement who was COP in a mid sized city in NJ.

When the last of our WW2 vets are gone the nation will have lost a national treasure that can never be replaced. We all owe them a debt that can never repaid nor did they ask for either! I believe as I know you do too that their spirit, honor and valor will always be with us.

Again god speed to all our vets including those serving today...........

My dads the guy in the middle.......
View attachment 25071
Your Dad sounds like he was an awesome guy! I just posted about my Grandpa who had a lot of similar experiences. When he died 4 years ago we found a box full of things as well. He had 2 bronze stars and a purple heart and none of us knew what they were for. He was a field medic and he never went further after his company found Buchenwald Concentration Camp. He stayed there until 1946 helping treat survivors. Like most men who served them and came home he returned with a few spoils. Most of them were small mementos like a paper sign and a string of Nazi flag pennants he ripped off a wall. He did however come home with 2 German officer swords. All any of us ever knew was that he picked them up after a battle. All 3 of his daughters and all of us grandkids knew about these swords. He kept them in his closet and would let us look at them but that was it. One of them was just a plain jane sword. The other was pretty intriguing. The handle was in the shape of a lions head with ruby eyes and an emerald nose. It has gold thread through out the head and the blade has etched designs throughout. The sheath was hand made and looks like a continuation of the sword. Everyone in the family wanted to have them and amongst themselves declared who would get them, all without discussing with my Grandpa. About a year before he died I was at his house and he told Grandma and I to go get them. We did and he told me to take them home. I began to cry a little and told him I didn’t want to take them just now. He said he knew he didn’t have a lot of time and that he wanted to make sure that before the vultures came in that I got them and then made me promise that I would give them to my son someday. As I said earlier he had 3 daughters, each of whom had 1 son. I however was the first of the 3 boys to have a son. I was the youngest of the grandsons and Grandpas last playmate of the 3. My son was only 9 when he Grandpa died but was his last buddy and I think he wanted to make sure these swords ended up with him. I look at those swords everyday and wonder what their story really is but most of they remind everyday of who gave them to me and how damn lucky I was to have him be my Grandpa

Sorry for your loss.

My dad died 9 years ago on July 31st. He had COPD, he was 83 at the time. He was considered a WW2 vet as he was in occupied Italy late 45-46. He was too young for combat.

I am watching the US Open right now thinking about sitting with my dad watching it in 2009. My mom needed a break and went out of town with my sister. So I took care of him over the weekend. We just sat and talked and watch golf. That was really all he could do on the oxygen.

The ironic thing is he wasn’t a smoker. He caught a bad bacterial infection 25 years before and it severely weakened nd his lungs.
He l
He died the next summer. He was going into the local nursing home and had to have a physical to do that. He got back from the physical and my mom said they got him back in his chair. She came back a few minutes later and was dead. I guess he thought it was time.

The first Husker game I went to was 1977 vs TCU with my dad. I was 11. They won something like 63-7. We ate at Barry’s before the game. That was back when they still had a cafeteria style lunch line. I still remember it so vividly.
Thanks for your thoughts. He and I loved going to the games. In the 60's we would stop at Bishop's Cafeteria for their French Dip on a crusty roll and I always had their apple pie. What a great life he had. Like yourself, I know there will be little things that will bring up the memories.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. We respect and honor our parents so much more down the road. Sounds like you had a great relationship and the world is a better place because of your dad!

I would like to thank everyone for the kind words and sharing about your own fathers. Even though Dad had an incredible 94 year run, it's hard to lose a parent with which I had such incredible memories. I had placed his obituary in the Lincoln paper this past Sunday and the wonderful emails I received from many of his former students were heart-warming. Thanks again!

I would like to thank everyone for the kind words and sharing about your own fathers. Even though Dad had an incredible 94 year run, it's hard to lose a parent with which I had such incredible memories. I had placed his obituary in the Lincoln paper this past Sunday and the wonderful emails I received from many of his former students were heart-warming. Thanks again!
I am so sorry for your loss. My dad and I were at odds for a time but we have made amends and had a great fathers day. I feel your posts have helped me reflect even more and appreciate he isn't gone yet. Thank you for sharing and I definitely sympathize with you losing your father. That can't be minimized, it's obvious you had a loving relationship and I hope that can be translated to your other relationships. I'm sure you'll find ways to let that love live on

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back