• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Hero, My Mentor, My Dad

Sorry for your loss, but it's obvious by the way you write about him, he's always going to be with you.

Thank you for the inspirational post. Best wishes to you and yours.
I've heard that Heaven is full of cutters looking for good skippers and musicians looking for a leader.

Brother in Arms never forgotten forever respect

Sorry for your loss and I hope you will always carry him with you in your heart and your memories. If we catch you day dreaming we will know why.

Duty Honor Country. He served us well!

If you joined the Navy in 74, that gives us an idea of your age.... meaning, Ive very happy that you had you dad for such a long time, although its never enough. My dad too was in the Navy. Your dad sounds like a terrific guy, and that heaven is just a bit better place today, than yesterday. Wishing comfort for your family.

What they said, DIHRDHskr . Hard to follow up what has been stated other than, my condolences and prayers to you and yours.

Thanks to all for your incredible words and yes, at 64, I am incredibly fortunate to have had him with me so many years. He lived with us in Virginia Beach his last 2 years and we were able to watch the Huskers, listen to Big Band music, and discuss life and both of our times in the Navy. I am blessed!

My Dad was on the Yorktown during WWII. Went in the Navy in 43. Would be 92 today. So our Dads were sloshing around in the Pacific about the same time. Great guy and I love him and miss him. He's been gone for 28 years already.

It's hard. I'll keep you and your Dad and family in my thoughts, DIHRD.

Last edited:

Sorry for the loss as losing a Dad is the hardest thing one can go thru. He is now in Heaven with all our Husker Dads.

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had many great times to remember. The fact that he was a music teacher, means the world lost even more (my point of view). May you always enjoy your memories as you share them with your family and friends.

Today I lost my Dad. 94 years old, WWII Veteran, 39 years as an instrumental music teacher, and reason for loving Nebraska Football. Went to my first game in 62' for Band Day as he took the Ogallala band to Lincoln. I was hooked. We listened to games on the radio together, watched them on TV and relished in the victories and sat in silence after losses. Moved to Lincoln in 68' and he and I went to many games over the years. Even after I joined the Navy in 74, everytime we talked, it was about Nebraska Football. Yesterday we were talking about Scott Frost and how optimistic we are for this coming season and looking forward to watching games together.

Dad was on a Jeep Carrier, USS Kalinin Bay in the battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest Naval battle ever in October, 1944. He loved his Naval Service and was a typical Greatest Generation patriot and never thought about how great they truly were. I will miss my Dad but know he is with Mom and in Husker Heaven. God Bless those men and women that gave us what we have today.
Sounds y
Like your dad was a good guy that enjoyed a wonderful life

Today I lost my Dad. 94 years old, WWII Veteran, 39 years as an instrumental music teacher, and reason for loving Nebraska Football. Went to my first game in 62' for Band Day as he took the Ogallala band to Lincoln. I was hooked. We listened to games on the radio together, watched them on TV and relished in the victories and sat in silence after losses. Moved to Lincoln in 68' and he and I went to many games over the years. Even after I joined the Navy in 74, everytime we talked, it was about Nebraska Football. Yesterday we were talking about Scott Frost and how optimistic we are for this coming season and looking forward to watching games together.

Dad was on a Jeep Carrier, USS Kalinin Bay in the battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest Naval battle ever in October, 1944. He loved his Naval Service and was a typical Greatest Generation patriot and never thought about how great they truly were. I will miss my Dad but know he is with Mom and in Husker Heaven. God Bless those men and women that gave us what we have today.
Thank you for sharing.

So sorry for your loss.

Similar to me. My dad passed away 5 years ago. He was 93 years old, WWII veteran too. Not Navy but he enlisted Army ...... involved in Omaha beach. He was an anti-aircraft gunner. I joined Air Force service in 74. However my dad didn't follow college football except Notre Dame.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back