• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Hero, My Mentor, My Dad

DIHRDHskr

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Today I lost my Dad. 94 years old, WWII Veteran, 39 years as an instrumental music teacher, and reason for loving Nebraska Football. Went to my first game in 62' for Band Day as he took the Ogallala band to Lincoln. I was hooked. We listened to games on the radio together, watched them on TV and relished in the victories and sat in silence after losses. Moved to Lincoln in 68' and he and I went to many games over the years. Even after I joined the Navy in 74, everytime we talked, it was about Nebraska Football. Yesterday we were talking about Scott Frost and how optimistic we are for this coming season and looking forward to watching games together.

Dad was on a Jeep Carrier, USS Kalinin Bay in the battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest Naval battle ever in October, 1944. He loved his Naval Service and was a typical Greatest Generation patriot and never thought about how great they truly were. I will miss my Dad but know he is with Mom and in Husker Heaven. God Bless those men and women that gave us what we have today.

Today I lost my Dad. 94 years old, WWII Veteran, 39 years as an instrumental music teacher, and reason for loving Nebraska Football. Went to my first game in 62' for Band Day as he took the Ogallala band to Lincoln. I was hooked. We listened to games on the radio together, watched them on TV and relished in the victories and sat in silence after losses. Moved to Lincoln in 68' and he and I went to many games over the years. Even after I joined the Navy in 74, everytime we talked, it was about Nebraska Football. Yesterday we were talking about Scott Frost and how optimistic we are for this coming season and looking forward to watching games together.

Dad was on a Jeep Carrier, USS Kalinin Bay in the battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest Naval battle ever in October, 1944. He loved his Naval Service and was a typical Greatest Generation patriot and never thought about how great they truly were. I will miss my Dad but know he is with Mom and in Husker Heaven. God Bless those men and women that gave us what we have today.

May God Bless you and your family. My dad was a combat veteran too and your relationship sounds like me and my pop. So I know you were truly blessed. Greatest Generation indeed.

Peace and Blessings

God bless you and family.sorry for your loss.Thank you for sharing some of his service contributions to our great country in it’s time of great need.

I thank all of you for your wonderful and kind thoughts. Red Reign and I share that military retired bit but we were both fortunate in not having to deal with the nightmare and sacrifice of the generation of my Dad. RR is nothing but pure class. I look forward to one day meeting him and thanking him in person for his service.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Having the memories that you do will certainly help give you comfort and peace as you move forward. Praying for you and your family. Blessings to you all.

So sorry for your loss. My dad was my hero, too. Mine was a sports nut and it rubbed off on me. My dad's been gone for 27 years and I think of him every day.

Your dad sounds like a great guy and you have a right to be proud of him. God bless you and your family.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back