• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My best hot take on staff changes and other thoughts

Bluffsker

Recruit
2 Year Member
Recent staff changes put other coaches on notice. Get better or get gone.

Sip's story that included info about Lubick working as a consultant for frost is telling. I see this in healthcare all the time. If a consultant is called in to look at your department, you better start looking for a new job.

At first I didn't want frost to give up play calling. He is a quick thinker. All the mind training he does to stay sharp is impressive. But then I remembered I didn't like the play calls most of the time in 2019. Maybe that's was an execution issue more than a play call issue. I don't know.

I'm not worried about frost doubling down on the Oregon offense. I don't think he is going to abandon his plan to marry Oregon offense and husker power. As long as the defense develops into a stout B1G defense, we'll achieve our goals.

Sip's story that included info about Lubick working as a consultant for frost is telling. I see this in healthcare all the time. If a consultant is called in to look at your department, you better start looking for a new job.

At first I didn't want frost to give up play calling. He is a quick thinker. All the mind training he does to stay sharp is impressive. But then I remembered I didn't like the play calls most of the time in 2019. Maybe that's was an execution issue more than a play call issue. I don't know.

I'm not worried about frost doubling down on the Oregon offense. I don't think he is going to abandon his plan to marry Oregon offense and husker power. As long as the defense develops into a stout B1G defense, we'll achieve our goals.
If he did what would he switch to? This is his wheelhouse.

Sure hope you are right.It is showtime for SF and company.Rough schedule or not,gotta make a bowl game and win some of the last five games of the season.Keep the faith.GBR.

Lubick will not get much of a honeymoon, those receivers better start producing pronto.

The positive here is that we definitely have some talent when you include who's coming in, and WR's are probably the fastest group on the offense in going from recruit to playing on the field, but the problem went beyond the WR production. We had trouble getting timing right all over the offense.

The O felt very close, but we need that last few ticks to make everything work

My best hot take:

For now.

Hard for me to get down on our defense when all year last year our hurry up offense hurried up and got off the field and our tired D had to go right back on.

The positive here is that we definitely have some talent when you include who's coming in, and WR's are probably the fastest group on the offense in going from recruit to playing on the field, but the problem went beyond the WR production. We had trouble getting timing right all over the offense.

The O felt very close, but we need that last few ticks to make everything work
Yep, spot on. Combo of bad snaps (early in the season), poor perimeter blocking, WR's not going to the right spots on the field, no WR separating himself from the pack (besides JD and Wandale), inconsistent line play earlier in the season, a QB lacking confidence and playing injured, and a good RB who struggled early adjusting to a different run scheme all contributed to us getting close, but not close enough. We looked better towards the end because the snaps improved and our line began to mesh, but not everything improved.

There NEEDS to be huge improvement from the wideouts. Otherwise, I don't see AM turning the corner in 2020. And this team goes as far as QB1 takes us.

Last edited:

I am not worried about the offense. My concern is with this staffs ability to develop an "in your face defense" with the ability to wrap up, take the opponent to the ground, stopping opponents in a decisive, convincing manner whether it be run/pass circumstance. Almost any offensive will flourish with this sort of defense. Conversely, a high scoring offense versus a high scoring offense is a crap shhot. Flip a coin!!!!

I am not worried about the offense. My concern is with this staffs ability to develop an "in your face defense" with the ability to wrap up, take the opponent to the ground, stopping opponents in a decisive, convincing manner whether it be run/pass circumstance. Almost any offensive will flourish with this sort of defense. Conversely, a high scoring offense versus a high scoring offense is a crap shhot. Flip a coin!!!!
You hit on one really big one here and that was wrap up tackling the person to the ground. A friend of mine counted 7 first Downs in one game due to the opponent carrying our players more than 2 yards while they were either trying to "hit" the runner down or "strip" the ball tackling. Better tackling and that was 7 more punts.

Not sure what you're asking here...
It was a rhetorical question. You said
So I asked the question What would they change to is he did. His offensive staff is built for this offense.

One important question on Frost calling plays, I think he was doing it from the sideline at Central Florida, but was he in the booth at Oregon?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back