• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked My 16 Team Playoff Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another stupid playoff thread? You guys never learn do ya?

I think they are just trying to get you BCS supporters used to the idea of a playoff. There will be some version of a playoff starting in 2015 (at the latest), so you better get used to it. I'll enjoy College Football the same amount as I do today once that happens.

But, I also don't hate the BCS - I think it creates interest by invoking debate. Either way, my life isn't changed.

:popcorn:

After a million different Playoff formulas, I have yet to see one that brings as much excitement than the bowl system that college football brings. No the BCS is not perfect, by far but a playoff system isn't going to bring much difference to it. Instead of have a small few teams complaining (top 5) on who's #1 at the end of the season, you'll have 25 teams debating on how they are more qualified that others to be in a 8-16 team playoff bracket.

Also, taking away some of those bowls is taking away a lot of money. In a playoff system, the rich get richer and the poor die out. If the BCS bowls host a the quarter or semi finals, the team that participates in those games get paid, then the winner turns around and gets paid in the final game. Every year we will start to see fewer new names showing up in those brackets. And when you have a pull like that as far as $$ then you see the politics stepping in from the strong conferences to make sure it's their schools getting a piece of that pie. We won't hear about the Houston's and Boise St.'s and Utah's and TCU's etc....anymore (I understand they are in other conferences now but just an example).

Why not just have the bowls play out as they are at the moment including the BCS bowls. I can't think of a season where more than two undefeated teams came out of that. Have those two undefeated teams play for a BCS Championship. If it's a situation with 1 loss teams, take the winners of those BCS Bowls whom beat the undefeated and/or are higher in the poll after the games. 1 week and a half to two weeks later have a championship against the top two.

My scenario isn't perfect, but what scenario is. I just know that a playoff system would kill the atmosphere of the post season for college football as well as take a lot of money away from the schools. And with our economy, how many of the fans would travel to see 5 extra games from their championship team as the thread starter suggested.

BCS is that old ugly wife that you can't divorce because you are 60 and can't get anything better unless you pay for it.

After a million different Playoff formulas, I have yet to see one that brings as much excitement than the bowl system that college football brings. No the BCS is not perfect, by far but a playoff system isn't going to bring much difference to it. Instead of have a small few teams complaining (top 5) on who's #1 at the end of the season, you'll have 25 teams debating on how they are more qualified that others to be in a 8-16 team playoff bracket.

Also, taking away some of those bowls is taking away a lot of money. In a playoff system, the rich get richer and the poor die out. If the BCS bowls host a the quarter or semi finals, the team that participates in those games get paid, then the winner turns around and gets paid in the final game. Every year we will start to see fewer new names showing up in those brackets. And when you have a pull like that as far as $$ then you see the politics stepping in from the strong conferences to make sure it's their schools getting a piece of that pie. We won't hear about the Houston's and Boise St.'s and Utah's and TCU's etc....anymore (I understand they are in other conferences now but just an example).

Why not just have the bowls play out as they are at the moment including the BCS bowls. I can't think of a season where more than two undefeated teams came out of that. Have those two undefeated teams play for a BCS Championship. If it's a situation with 1 loss teams, take the winners of those BCS Bowls whom beat the undefeated and/or are higher in the poll after the games. 1 week and a half to two weeks later have a championship against the top two.

My scenario isn't perfect, but what scenario is. I just know that a playoff system would kill the atmosphere of the post season for college football as well as take a lot of money away from the schools. And with our economy, how many of the fans would travel to see 5 extra games from their championship team as the thread starter suggested.

BCS is that old ugly wife that you can't divorce because you are 60 and can't get anything better unless you pay for it.

There will still be bowls for teams that don't make the playoffs, but change is coming.

So we're still relying on the polls to tell us who gets in. I got it now. The polls aren't good enough to tell us who is #'s 1 thru 4, 8, 10 etc. but they are okay for telling us who gets in the playoffs. Sounds like it might work. **********!!!

Yes, that is correct.

Since it will be going 16 deep, the system is less likely to leave out a deserving team.

Picking the top 8 or 10 is pretty easy. And likely anyone of the top 10 could beat #1.

The next 6 or so are for insurance. Bubble teams, if you will.

After 16, who cares? Any injustice will be pretty mild.

A 16 team playoff determines a true national champion.

The bowl system fattens the wallets of just a few.

Last edited:
I think they are just trying to get you BCS supporters used to the idea of a playoff. There will be some version of a playoff starting in 2015 (at the latest), so you better get used to it. I'll enjoy College Football the same amount as I do today once that happens.

But, I also don't hate the BCS - I think it creates interest by invoking debate. Either way, my life isn't changed.

:popcorn:
I am unaware of ANY BCS supporters. I most certainly am not a BcS supporter. As a point of fact, those that could and should be considered BCS Supporters are those who are pushing for the expansion of the BCS playoff format. It most certainly is not an apt description of those of us who never wanted it in the first place and still don't want it.

I am unaware of ANY BCS supporters. I most certainly am not a BcS supporter. As a point of fact, those that could and should be considered BCS Supporters are those who are pushing for the expansion of the BCS playoff format. It most certainly is not an apt description of those of us who never wanted it in the first place and still don't want it.

This. The BCS was created to appease the playoffs now crowd. But they will never be appeased until they have a full blown NFL type playoff. I don't support the BCS, I just don't want to see the bastardization of college football carried out any further.

My reasoning behind this is that in looking at the current BCS Standings, the potential Big East Champion, West Virginia, is currently rated 23rd in the BCS Standings. In my opinion, they have not earned the right to play in a 16 team playoff scenario, let alone an 8 team format. It allows for teams from the current non AQ conferences to be able to get in. Maybe you put more weight on Strength of Schedule to keep teams from playing too soft of a schedule and getting in. You have the scenario today where you have three SEC teams that are right there, but only two can get in. I would say that Arkansas would be more qualified for a hypothetical spot in the playoffs that would West Virginia.

If you don't have earned access, then you will run into the scenario someday where 6 SEC teams will be part of a 16 team field, and what good does that do? Why do we need 3rd or 4th place conference teams lining up against their conf. champion again.

The so called experts get it wrong all the time. Just look at Basketball last year where 11 of 16 Big East teams made the tournament and most of those teams were high seeds to boot. Then when they were beaten by the likes of Morehead State and only 2 of 11 teams survived the first weekend, we wondered that maybe the conference wasn't so great. Fortunately that tournament has diversity and allows conference champions.

My reasoning behind this is that in looking at the current BCS Standings, the potential Big East Champion, West Virginia, is currently rated 23rd in the BCS Standings. In my opinion, they have not earned the right to play in a 16 team playoff scenario, let alone an 8 team format. It allows for teams from the current non AQ conferences to be able to get in. Maybe you put more weight on Strength of Schedule to keep teams from playing too soft of a schedule and getting in. You have the scenario today where you have three SEC teams that are right there, but only two can get in. I would say that Arkansas would be more qualified for a hypothetical spot in the playoffs that would West Virginia.

So let me get this straight. You want a 16-team playoff where a conference champion has "not earned the right" to get in? Why would you go to a playoff system and then use the very same highly subjective method (ie, polling) to pick the teams?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back