• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MW was suspended first half

So I just spoke to a lawyer friend. From what I understand, cops here can cite you for paraphernalia or weed under an ounce without it being a misdeamonor, even with just a pipe and residue. Said they probably went with paraphernalia because of the situation and person. Basically helping him out all they could while still doing their job. I don't believe MW was given a misdemeanor on it. Just a citation. I think a citation for that also holds a $400 fine.

They are citing for the paraphernalia because hemp is legal federally, which opened up a huge gray area. Any good lawyer would argue that their client was using hemp for the CBD, not marijuana.

They are citing for the paraphernalia because hemp is legal federally, which opened up a huge gray area. Any good lawyer would argue that their client was using hemp for the CBD, not marijuana.
Hemp was also legalized in Nebraska recently, not sure when Mo was cited if it was before or after it went into effect. There have been some local stories where officers aren't bothering with the citations in some areas if the person claims it is hemp, because some law enforcement agencies are unable to test to differentiate the 2. NE state patrol has the ability to test but their equipment doesn't meet federal standards so it wouldn't hold up in court, according to a local TV news report. Douglas and Sarpy can utilize UNMC to test if the prosecutor wants to move forward. I'm paraphrasing, but that was my takeaway from the news story.

Hemp was also legalized in Nebraska recently, not sure when Mo was cited if it was before or after it went into effect. There have been some local stories where officers aren't bothering with the citations in some areas if the person claims it is hemp, because some law enforcement agencies are unable to test to differentiate the 2. NE state patrol has the ability to test but their equipment doesn't meet federal standards so it wouldn't hold up in court, according to a local TV news report. Douglas and Sarpy can utilize UNMC to test if the prosecutor wants to move forward. I'm paraphrasing, but that was my takeaway from the news story.
Just to be clear, Hemp and Marijuana are not the same thing though. They are both derived from the same plant (Cannabis), but they are different in their strains. Hemp, which is used to produce CBD oil, contains less than 0.03% THC (the psychoactive element in Marijuana.) Smoking marijuana or weed in a pipe is full blown cannabis with no restricting of the THC levels. Nebraska has not fully legalized it. CBD from Hemp is legalized. Recreational Marijuana is not. Not yet anyway. A group I belong to is currently fighting this in the state legislature and our bill has been "tabled" several times over the past 2 years. :rolleyes: :Banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear, Hemp and Marijuana are not the same thing though. They are both derived from the same plant (Cannabis), but they are different in their strains. Hemp, which is used to produce CBD oil, contains less than 0.03% THC (the psychoactive element in Marijuana.) Smoking marijuana or weed in a pipe is full blown cannabis with no restricting of the THC levels. Nebraska has not fully legalized it. CBD from Hemp is legalized. Recreational Marijuana is not. Not yet anyway. A group I belong to is currently fighting this in the state legislature and our bill has been "tabled" several times over the past 2 years. :rolleyes: :Banghead:
I appreciate your fight. Sorry you are leaving the state because we need more advocates like you.

Below is the video and story I mentioned. The city of Omaha collaborates with UNMC to test for THC for prosecution.

From the article:
But in other jurisdictions, prosecutors have claimed they can't make marijuana cases anymore. Lancaster County Attorney Pat Condon said his office won't move forward on marijuana possession cases until the situation gets sorted out.

The Nebraska State Patrol told county attorneys in a July letter that its crime lab couldn't tell the difference between hemp and marijuana.

Last edited:
The statement from SF on Monday.

"Well as far as the first half, that was my decision to hold him out. You know we hold our players to a certain standard and we want them all to live up to that standard. We held him out the first half, how did he respond, we'll see how he responds this week. We want him to come back and prepare well and get ready to play well and if he does this will all be water under the bridge. But we need him to respond just like the rest of the team."

C
Sounds very reasonable and not alarming at all. I suppose this kid could be a goner but I really don't think so...certainly nothing in that quote that makes me think so.

Last edited:
Sounds very reasonable and not alarming at all. I suppose this kid could be a goner but I really don't think so...certainly nothing in that quote that makes me think so.

I agree, it all depends on how a coach handles internal discipline. It is quite possible that MW would have gone unpunished under other coaching staffs here or elsewhere, we just don't know what Frost has as specific standards. Some coaches allow/have allowed players much leeway with attending class, lifting, timeliness for meetings, etc. Those players wouldn't fall under the same scrutiny. Not to mention the current availability of information that didn't exist in the past. If the internet and social media existed when Christian Peter was a player, do you think people's opinions might be different? Even knowing his past transgressions people still refrain from judging him. I just wonder about the level of scrutiny.

So, without knowing the recent 'offense', I think it is unfair to draw definitive conclusions. I get that some want this situation to compound previous (alleged) offenses and draw conclusions about someone's character, but I would simply suggest prudent caution. In my profession I have seen how erroneous this line of conclusion can be, so I tend to approach situations where I don't have exact and specific information with great caution, as to not provide false judgement or imprudent actions. That's just my $.02

So I just spoke to a lawyer friend. From what I understand, cops here can cite you for paraphernalia or weed under an ounce without it being a misdeamonor, even with just a pipe and residue. Said they probably went with paraphernalia because of the situation and person. Basically helping him out all they could while still doing their job. I don't believe MW was given a misdemeanor on it. Just a citation. I think a citation for that also holds a $400 fine.
My nephew is a Sarpy County Deputy Sheriff. We recently discussed the difficulty of the weed situation for the court system and officers. He said it's crazy how many people they pull over that have weed on them. Their unwritten rule is basically if it's less than an ounce they have them dump it out and let them go. If they write them a ticket then it's an hour and a half of paper work for the officer and a $400 fine for the offender along with having to go to court. The judge's don't want to mess with it as all it does is bog down the court system.

Someone always has excuses/reasons for their behavior, I can't judge people on what they do based on their past. However, there are rules/laws that are put in place by whomever, and if you don't/can't follow them then there are consequences. I can't imagine that whatever demon is in MW's head that there isn't help for him at Nebraska, and I can't imagine that Scott has not set boundaries/expectations for him. At 19 or 20 whatever he is you are old enough to know right and wrong, if MW chooses the wrong way then I am not sure what more anyone can do. Good luck to the kid and I hope he follows the right path. If not, when it comes to football there will be someone to replace him.

Someone always has excuses/reasons for their behavior, I can't judge people on what they do based on their past. However, there are rules/laws that are put in place by whomever, and if you don't/can't follow them then there are consequences. I can't imagine that whatever demon is in MW's head that there isn't help for him at Nebraska, and I can't imagine that Scott has not set boundaries/expectations for him. At 19 or 20 whatever he is you are old enough to know right and wrong, if MW chooses the wrong way then I am not sure what more anyone can do. Good luck to the kid and I hope he follows the right path. If not, when it comes to football there will be someone to replace him.
I'm not disagreeing with you, because you are entitled to your beliefs and conclusions. I'm just curious if you read my post above?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back