• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Music that lasts

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
My son had a heavy metal band that toured a bit, sold some CDs, and then split as everyone got married and had families. They practiced in our basement. I liked some of the pieces from some of the bands around at that time, Quiet Riot being my favorite. Yet we both like Wagner, Holst, Beethoven, etc.

I recently had a reason to assemble a batch of music for a publication, and it included pieces from Bach, Mendelsohn, Wagner, Beethoven, Sousa, Benny Goodman, a song made for the movie Hannibal Lector, Gorecki, Enya, a Stan Kenton piece, Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, Beer Barrel Polka, Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Copeland, Brahms, Orff, Home on the Range, San Antonio Rose, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Evening Prayer, Angel's Band, Send in the Clowns, Try to Remember, Holst, Thunder and Blazes, and the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Some of these pieces have been around for 200 years and are still played regularly every where in the world. They have staying power. I often wonder which of the songs currently at the top of the charts will last 200 years.

My 10 grandkids have a tough time listening to anything that goes on over 5 minutes, but they all love it when I take them to the symphony and the hear what is being played; They sit there captivated for 2 or three hours without standing up on their seats and without a bunch of stimulants. They look forward to these evenings.

Music is strange isn't it. It's surprising how humans like so many different kinds.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back