• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mt Buck!

StadiumQuick Facts
First Season:
Dedicated:
May 2, 1980
Final Game
: June 2, 2001
First NU victory:
Swept a doubleheader from Kansas 2-1 and 11-7 on dedication day, May 2, 1980
Final NU Victory
: Defeated Rice, 9-6, in 10 innings on June 2, 2001.
First Shutout and Perfect Game:
The day after Tim Burke?s shutout of KU and Nebraska?s first two wins at Buck Beltzer, Cliff Faust tossed a 3-0 perfect game on May 3, 1980.
First Home Run:
Junior catcher Mark Haley slugged a two-run homer in the Huskers? five-run fourth inning of their 11-7 win over Kansas in the second game of the first doubleheader at Buck Beltzer Stadium, May 2, 1980.
First Triple Play:
By the Nebraska infield against Fort Hays State on March 18, 1989. Shortstop David Boever caught a line drive, threw the ball to second baseman Bruce Wobken for a force out, and Wobken threw the ball to first baseman Doug Twitty for a force at first.
Playing Surface:
AstroTurf System 96 (installed before the 1997 season); Outfield is natural grass.
Light System:
Musco, seven poles, approximately 250 light fixtures, 100 footcandles.
Dimensions:
330 feet on the lines, 375 feet to the power alleys and 400 feet to straightaway center.
Top Crowd:
Nebraska?s largest crowd of 5,484 came to watch the Huskers earn a berth in the College World Series with a victory over Rice on June 2, 2001. The Huskers? largest regular-season crowd occurred on April 14, 2001, when 4,029 fans saw NU defeat Baylor, 6-4. The Huskers and Bears drew 9,042 fans, breaking a three-game series record which stood since the 1999 season.Buck Beltzer Stadium Records
Individual Single-GameRecords (Since 1979)
Most at Bats 7; Shawn Buchanan vs. St. Cloud St., 1990; Marc Sagmoen vs. Jamestown, 1992; Jed Dalton vs. Missouri, 1995; Darin Erstad vs. Missouri, 1995
Most Hits 6; Marc Sagmoen vs. Jamestown, 1992; Darin Erstad vs. Missouri, 1995; Francis Collins vs. Nebraska-Omaha, 1996; John Cole vs. Kansas State, 1999
Most Runs 7; Jim Bailey vs. Chicago State, 1999; Ken Harvey vs. Chicago State, 1999
Most Doubles 3; Steve Oakley vs. Nebraska-Omaha, 1980; Kevin Jordan vs. Northern Colorado, 1990; Jed Dalton vs. Oklahoma State, 1995
Most Triples 3; Dan Boever vs. Benedictine, 1983; Shawn Buchanan vs. Wayne State, 1990
Most Home Runs 3; Steve Stanicek vs. Bellevue College, 1982; Dan Johnson vs. Texas A&M, 2000
Most RBI 10; Craig Moore vs. Chicago State, 1999
Most Stolen Bases 5; Jeff Carter vs. Iowa State, 1983
Most Innings Pitched 9; several players
Most Strikeouts 17; Brent Friehauf vs. St. Cloud State, 1983; Shane Komine vs. Kansas, 2000
First/Last Triple Play March 18, 1989, against Fort Hays State Team Single-Game Records (Since 1979)
Most Hits 35; Nebraska vs. Chicago State, 1999
Most Runs
50; Nebraska vs. Chicago State, 1999
Most RBI 47; Nebraska vs. Chicago State, 1999

I think the Dan Boever with the most triples is now the trick shot golfer who can hit a golf ball over 400 yards!

Mt. Buck

Who has two thumbs and a "kharma can" filled with original Mt. Buck dirt?

(THIS GUY) :wave:

Gary Sharp and I called the games on KLIN in 2001 and absolutely had a blast giving shoutouts to the fans on Mt. Buck. Didn't somebody put an old Lay-Z-Boy up there at one time?

That season at the Big 12 Tourney in OKC, somebody brought a "Mt. Buck South" sign and put it on the left field berm at Bricktown Ballpark. Gary and I brought that home with us after we won the tourney. I wonder if he still has it.

Late in the regular season, we hosted Okie State at the Buck and it was a doubleheader. We won the first game and a rain delay happened in the second. We were trailing 8-3 in the 7th. Earlier in the day, Shane Komine's mom visited the booth and brought some gifts from Hawaii, including a can of Mauna Loa caramel corn with macademia nuts. Well, it had been a long day and I was getting the munchies, so I start mowing down this caramel corn. Next thing you know, we score 3 in the 7th and 2 more in the 9th to force extra innings and I'm getting pretty loopy and started saying "Gary, the kharma's in the can!" After every hit...."the Kharma's in the can."

Sure enough, at 12:24am, Dan Johnson hits a two-run bomb in the 11th and we sweep the DH and go on to win the next day.

Thus, the Komine "Kharma Can" was born.

So after we crush the Pokes Sunday which was the last regular season home game, and not knowing if Mt. Buck was still going to be there for the regionals, I went out there with the now empty can of caramel corn and filled it with sacred Mt. Buck dirt.

It's my most prized possession of that magical season.

BEHOLD.....THE KHARMA CAN!

kharma can.jpg

John,

I was at those games on Saturday, and the beating on Sunday (Rodaway on the mound, 21-2???). I remember waiting in the car during the delays.

I miss that tandem of you and Sharp, you guys had a great chemistry and could call some good baseball...

John, that is so awesome and great memories for sure! The lazy boy i think was the demise of "Mt Buck" We knew we were on borrowed time, but were hoping that they kept it for the regionals. It was sad when we showed up early that day and it was gone! Even more so when we couldn't get a ticket to the sold out games!

Last edited:

Who has two thumbs and a "kharma can" filled with original Mt. Buck dirt?

(THIS GUY) :wave:

Gary Sharp and I called the games on KLIN in 2001 and absolutely had a blast giving shoutouts to the fans on Mt. Buck. Didn't somebody put an old Lay-Z-Boy up there at one time?

That season at the Big 12 Tourney in OKC, somebody brought a "Mt. Buck South" sign and put it on the left field berm at Bricktown Ballpark. Gary and I brought that home with us after we won the tourney. I wonder if he still has it.

Late in the regular season, we hosted Okie State at the Buck and it was a doubleheader. We won the first game and a rain delay happened in the second. We were trailing 8-3 in the 7th. Earlier in the day, Shane Komine's mom visited the booth and brought some gifts from Hawaii, including a can of Mauna Loa caramel corn with macademia nuts. Well, it had been a long day and I was getting the munchies, so I start mowing down this caramel corn. Next thing you know, we score 3 in the 7th and 2 more in the 9th to force extra innings and I'm getting pretty loopy and started saying "Gary, the kharma's in the can!" After every hit...."the Kharma's in the can."

Sure enough, at 12:24am, Dan Johnson hits a two-run bomb in the 11th and we sweep the DH and go on to win the next day.

Thus, the Komine "Kharma Can" was born.

So after we crush the Pokes Sunday which was the last regular season home game, and not knowing if Mt. Buck was still going to be there for the regionals, I went out there with the now empty can of caramel corn and filled it with sacred Mt. Buck dirt.

It's my most prized possession of that magical season.

BEHOLD.....THE KHARMA CAN!

View attachment 2879

Great story, John! :thumbsup:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back