• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mt Buck!

Glendale Husker

Scout Team
15 Year Member
img006.jpgimg004.jpgimg005.jpg

Have 2 memorable stories from "Mt Buck"

First one was during the beginning of a game the announcers started talking about the guys who were out on "Mt Buck" and were wondering how they got up on top and other small talk. Then they say "Hey, i wonder if they can hear us out there?" and of course we had a radio, so we all started waving and jumping up and down. I guess we answered the question. Every game after that, they always made sure to acknowledge us before the first pitch with a "salute to everybody out on Mt Buck today" It was Awesome!
Second was toward the end of the season. We normally brought snacks, but one of my buddies was really hungry. In a time before EVERYBODY had cell phones, we just happend to have one! So we made a call to downtown Valentino's and placed an order for delivery (Val's delivered to campus then and we were on campus!) We told them at Buck Beltzer on Avery by the left field fence. They actually said OK! At the time of on campus delivery, they always wanted a phone # so they could call your dorm room when they got there, so of course we gave him our cell #. We saw him pull up at the foot of "Mt Buck" and he called us. We said "look up" and he did and just started laughing, we then told him we'd give him an extra $2.00 tip if he climbed up and gave it to us! It was classic, he agreed to do it and the crowd on "Mt Buck" was cheering him on! He slipped a couple times, but held on to the Pizza's (Lg. burger and Lg. pepperoni) He staid and watched the rest of the inning with us also!

I wanna say 1999, if not it was 2000. It was the dirt they dug up out salt creek for Hawk's Field to be built. It was only there for about 5 weeks maybe. Butch Hugg (sp) came up around the 5th gm. we were up there and i thought we were all busted. He looked around, stared out to the action and said "yep, these are good seats" and left.

Originally posted by Huskers57.

it was the last season of buck beltzer field...when we sent out the field with a bang with the first berth in the CWS for Nebraska. That's my recollection.​

Another post by Huskers57.

also
those stories/pictures of mt. buck by you, man I got goosebumps reading those...ah memories! I actually miss good ol' buck beltzer field...one of my favorite fields of all time, don't ask me why! I've played so many games on that field and memories....

Originally posted by Huskers57.

it was the last season of buck beltzer field...when we sent out the field with a bang with the first berth in the CWS for Nebraska. That's my recollection.

I didn't think the hill was there when I used to go to the Buck in the 70's.

I moved to Lincoln in 1987 and rarely missed a home gm. until 2001 when i moved down here to Phoenix.
So many good players, just not really good teams...loved Alvie Sheppard! What a stud that guy was! Jamal Strong another one of my favorites!

The 2001 season marked the end of the Buck Beltzer Stadium era. Officially dedicated in 1979 as Buck Beltzer Field, the stadium served as home to the Husker baseball program for nearly a quarter century before Nebraska moved into the new Haymarket Complex in the summer of 2001. In those 23 years, NU had a record of 527-137 (a winning percentage of .794) in home contests. The Huskers had great success at "The Buck" with opposing teams struggling to find a way to win.Over the years, Buck Beltzer Stadium saw its share of changes. In 1977, the Husker Diamond, the name of the stadium before 1979, had an artificial playing surface, permanent seating and covered dugouts installed to upgrade the facility.Then in the spring of 1979, the official baseball site of the University of Nebraska since the mid- 1940?s, was renamed Buck Beltzer Field when a generous donation from the Beltzer family (Jim of Grand Island and Mrs. Bob Flory of Fremont) made the rest of the development of the stadium (aluminum seats, press box, restrooms and concession stands) possible. The stadium received its name from O.A. "Buck" Beltzer, a well-known Husker athlete in the early 20th century, and Grand Island businessman.For the first year, the stadium had a seating capacity of less than 1,000, but expanded to 1,500 in two years. The capacity would remain the same until the 2001 season, when additional bleacher seats were installed, allowing Nebraska to draw 12 crowds in excess of 2,000 last season.NU baptized the stadium winning the first game over Missouri Western, 13-3, on March 11, 1979. In fact, the Huskers went on to win their first 12 games at home before losing to Fort Hays State, 5-4, on April 12. The Huskers finished their first season at home with an impressive 28-2 mark.In 1980, the year began for NU with an even more imposing facility. A total of 1,500 aluminum seats in the main grandstand were installed to make the facility more enjoyable for everyone. The Huskers enjoyed the friendly confines of beautiful Buck Beltzer going 29-1, losing only to Missouri on April 25, snapping a 22-game home winning streakThe stadium's official dedication came on May 2, 1980, when former Major League pitcher Tim Burke led Nebraska to a 2-1 victory over Kansas in the first game of a doubleheader. NU went on to win game two, and the next day, Cliff Faust tossed a perfect game against the Jayhawks as the Huskers completed a four-game sweep by winning 3-0 and 10-8. Oklahoma handed NU its first loss at Buck Beltzer Stadium with a 5-2 win on April 4, 1981. That year, a generous donation by the Californians for Nebraskans Booster Club led to the installation of a new scoreboard in left center. The Huskers had continued success at home and even more facility improvements were made. New Astro Turf was installed in 1983. And in 1984, the addition of the Baumann Baseball Building made Buck Beltzer Stadium a complete place to have a successful baseball program.During the 1989 season, lights were installed, thanks to another donation by Californians for Nebraska. NU won the first-ever night game at Buck Beltzer Stadium by beating Iowa State, 3-2, in the second game of a doubleheader on May 12. That game also marked former Head Coach John Sanders? 500th win for the Huskers. The lights were officially dedicated on May 5, 1990, nearly 10 years after the official dedication of the stadium. A state-of-the-art sound system was added in 1994 with the help of a donation by the Sower?s Club. The artificial turf was upgraded for a third time before the 1997 season. In 2001, "The Buck" closed out an exciting era of Husker baseball in fine fashion, as the facility played host to both a Regional and Super Regional for the first time in school history. Tickets were at a premium, as the Huskers played host to sold-out crowds with fans lined up days in advance to watch Nebraska?s first-ever NCAA Regional. Nearly 5,500 fans attended each of the Huskers? Super Regional games, including a record crowd of 5,484, including most of the Beltzer family, to see the Huskers advance to the College World Series with a 9-6, 10-inning victory over Rice. As the strains of the Counting Crows song "Omaha" serenaded in the background, the Huskers took one final lap around the Beltzer turf, celebrating with the fans who made baseball at Buck Beltzer Stadium an invigorating experience.

Stadium Quick Facts
First Season:
Dedicated:
May 2, 1980
Final Game
: June 2, 2001
First NU victory:
Swept a doubleheader from Kansas 2-1 and 11-7 on dedication day, May 2, 1980
Final NU Victory
: Defeated Rice, 9-6, in 10 innings on June 2, 2001.
First Shutout and Perfect Game:
The day after Tim Burke?s shutout of KU and Nebraska?s first two wins at Buck Beltzer, Cliff Faust tossed a 3-0 perfect game on May 3, 1980.
First Home Run:
Junior catcher Mark Haley slugged a two-run homer in the Huskers? five-run fourth inning of their 11-7 win over Kansas in the second game of the first doubleheader at Buck Beltzer Stadium, May 2, 1980.
First Triple Play:
By the Nebraska infield against Fort Hays State on March 18, 1989. Shortstop David Boever caught a line drive, threw the ball to second baseman Bruce Wobken for a force out, and Wobken threw the ball to first baseman Doug Twitty for a force at first.
Playing Surface:
AstroTurf System 96 (installed before the 1997 season); Outfield is natural grass.
Light System:
Musco, seven poles, approximately 250 light fixtures, 100 footcandles.
Dimensions:
330 feet on the lines, 375 feet to the power alleys and 400 feet to straightaway center.
Top Crowd:
Nebraska?s largest crowd of 5,484 came to watch the Huskers earn a berth in the College World Series with a victory over Rice on June 2, 2001. The Huskers? largest regular-season crowd occurred on April 14, 2001, when 4,029 fans saw NU defeat Baylor, 6-4. The Huskers and Bears drew 9,042 fans, breaking a three-game series record which stood since the 1999 season.Buck Beltzer Stadium Records
Individual Single-Game Records (Since 1979)
Most at Bats 7; Shawn Buchanan vs. St. Cloud St., 1990; Marc Sagmoen vs. Jamestown, 1992; Jed Dalton vs. Missouri, 1995; Darin Erstad vs. Missouri, 1995
Most Hits 6; Marc Sagmoen vs. Jamestown, 1992; Darin Erstad vs. Missouri, 1995; Francis Collins vs. Nebraska-Omaha, 1996; John Cole vs. Kansas State, 1999
Most Runs 7; Jim Bailey vs. Chicago State, 1999; Ken Harvey vs. Chicago State, 1999
Most Doubles 3; Steve Oakley vs. Nebraska-Omaha, 1980; Kevin Jordan vs. Northern Colorado, 1990; Jed Dalton vs. Oklahoma State, 1995
Most Triples 3; Dan Boever vs. Benedictine, 1983; Shawn Buchanan vs. Wayne State, 1990
Most Home Runs 3; Steve Stanicek vs. Bellevue College, 1982; Dan Johnson vs. Texas A&M, 2000
Most RBI 10; Craig Moore vs. Chicago State, 1999
Most Stolen Bases 5; Jeff Carter vs. Iowa State, 1983
Most Innings Pitched 9; several players
Most Strikeouts 17; Brent Friehauf vs. St. Cloud State, 1983; Shane Komine vs. Kansas, 2000
First/Last Triple Play March 18, 1989, against Fort Hays State Team Single-Game Records (Since 1979)
Most Hits 35; Nebraska vs. Chicago State, 1999
Most Runs
50; Nebraska vs. Chicago State, 1999
Most RBI 47; Nebraska vs. Chicago State, 1999

Year Record
1979 28-2
1980 29-1
1981 27-4
1982 25-3
1983 20-4
1984 27-7
1985 23-5
1986 23-6
1987 18-8
1988 29-5
1989 21-11
1990 28-9
1991 24-8
1992 23-8
1993 19-7
1994 21-8
1995 18-6
1996 19-8
1997 20-10
1998 13-4
1999 24-5
2000 24-4
2001 24-4
Total 527-137 (.794)** - before 1979 NU?s home field was called the Husker Diamond

Thanks for posting these facts. I saved them in my "Word", and I printed them. Nice to see Darin included in the record books. ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Another post by Huskers57.

also
those stories/pictures of mt. buck by you, man I got goosebumps reading those...ah memories! I actually miss good ol' buck beltzer field...one of my favorite fields of all time, don't ask me why! I've played so many games on that field and memories....

Thanks 57! I never played there, but i am also fond of the "buck" Saw a lot of baseball and a lot of wins! I remember dragging girlfriends, wives and anybody i could out to the gms. Ate a lot of peanuts and spit a million seeds....it was baseball and the Huskers and I loved it!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back