• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Movie Remakes, yes/no?

Do you like remakes?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

RedInMyVeins

Tannhauser Gate Veteran
2 Year Member
With Magnificent Seven coming out tomorrow, which looks incredible, and Ben-Hur out recently, which looked horrible, I'm curious how anyone here feels about movie remakes in general. I'm not one to say no movies should be remade, but sometimes remakes are just a bad idea. If they're done in the right spirit, I think they work, but if they're done solely as a cash grab, things tend to spiral.

True Grit was an awesome remake, Robocop not so much. The Fly was incredible, Ghostbusters was unnecessary (even if it was kind of funny).

So, if you're for or against, why do you feel that way?

PS, did you know that the Charlton Heston Ben-Hur was, itself, a remake?

It depends.
Nothing wrong with remakes, per se.
Some are done well, some arent.
If the original was well done and well liked, the remake has some big shoes to fill.

Sometimes it just depends on the story itself.

'A Christmas Carol' has been remade and rebooted dozens of different ways, and there was something I loved about every one of them.

I am not real interested in seeing the remade Magnificent Seven, which is in itself a remake of the the Seven Samurai. I didn't see the remake of True Grit until much later. It is good and it is significantly different from the John Wayne version. It follows the original book better so they say. I am not a big western fan, though.

I agree that some movies just don't need to be remade. Psycho did not need to be remade, Ben Hur (1950's version)is so iconic I don't see how they could have done it justice. Cape Fear with De Niro was a great remake, but it was a lot different than the original. Tim Burton's remake of Planet of the Apes actually follows the book better but again, the orignal with Heston is just to good. The 2 more recent Planet of the Apes movies are good, but they are completely different.

I heard the new Ghostbusters movie is actually pretty good, but no one really wanted to see it. I certainly don't care to see it other than maybe on TV.

It depends.
Nothing wrong with remakes, per se.
Some are done well, some arent.
If the original was well done and well liked, the remake has some big shoes to fill.

Sometimes it just depends on the story itself.

'A Christmas Carol' has been remade and rebooted dozens of different ways, and there was something I loved about every one of them.

I agree on the Christmas Carol. I really like the most recent with Patrick Stewert as Scrooge. There was an adaptation made in the early 80's that took place in America called an American Christmas Carol I believe. It starred Henry Winkler in the Scrooge part. it took place during the depression. It was good and a different twist on the story. I also like the musical version with Albert Finney as Scrooge.

I agree on the Christmas Carol. I really like the most recent with Patrick Stewert as Scrooge. There was an adaptation made in the early 80's that took place in America called an American Christmas Carol I believe. It starred Henry Winkler in the Scrooge part. it took place during the depression. It was good and a different twist on the story. I also like the musical version with Albert Finney as Scrooge.
agree.
I was going to mention the Henry Winkler one. I really liked that one too, but haven't seen it since it first aired. Then of course Scrooged with Bill Murray was great.

We just rented Jungle Book from Redbox, and I have to say, that was a really go redo. Some of the CGI was so realistic, it was easy to forget it was animation. The remake of Ghostbusters should have never happened.

Few remakes have stood up to the original. But are there any that were clearly better? I can't think of a single one.

Four of my favorite classic movies are The Manchurian Candidate, The Flight of the Phoenix, Planet of the Apes, and The Andromeda Strain. All were remade; all of those remakes were the artistic equivalent of methane gas venting from a landfill. No respect for undiscerning hack directors and screenwriters trying to profit from tasteless exploitation of an original work so superior it was completely beyond their creative grasp.

And don't get me started on sequels. Except for Jaws 4: The Revenge, the George Clooney and Val Kilmer Batman movies, and the cinematically significant Iron Eagle series, how many could really match the first?

Last edited:
Few remakes have stood up to the original. (Some that have: The Godfather Part II, Toy Story 2, the second Terminator movie.) But are there any that were clearly better? I can't think of a single one.

And don't get me started on sequels.

Too late.

Last edited:

Few remakes have stood up to the original. (Some that have: The Godfather Part II, Toy Story 2, the second Terminator movie.) But are there any that were clearly better? I can't think of a single one.

Four of my favorite classic movies are The Manchurian Candidate, The Flight of the Phoenix, Planet of the Apes, and The Andromeda Strain. All were remade; all of those remakes were the artistic equivalent of methane gas venting from a landfill. No respect for undiscerning hack directors and screenwriters trying to profit from tasteless exploitation of an original work so superior it was completely beyond their creative grasp.

And don't get me started on sequels. Except for Jaws 4: The Revenge, the George Clooney and Val Kilmer Batman movies, and the cinematically significant Iron Eagle series, how many could really match the first?
Wait, what?

Whoops, meant to take that part out before hitting "post reply." Nothing like criticizing bad remakes while making yourself look worse than their filmmakers.

But don't lose sight of the real issue here: What was truly the greatest sequel: Iron Eagle 2 or 3?
:O O:

Remakes to me are different than a series or sequel type movies.

The Fly, The Thing (both remakes beat the original). Not sure I'll go see the Magnificent Seven remake. Maybe.

They can make them if they want to....but I probably won't watch them.

CrabHusker, I couldn't disagree more regarding your comment on The Thing. The original from 1954 is one of my favorite movies of all time.

GET TICKETS

Back