• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most underrated play in NU history

I am going to say Tommie Frazier's 2 point conversion to Eric Alford in TO's first NC. I was at that game. Does anyone know if that was the same endzone where Turner threw my childhood destroying incompletion?

Also, feel free to add more underrated plays. I have a lot I could add, but I'll save them for you all.
Yes, it was the same endzone. It was the first thing I thought of when Alford caught the pass. Sweet justice!

With just seconds remaining in the 3rd quarter of the 1995 Orange Bowl, Nebraska was trailing 17-9 but was driving in Miami territory. Brook Berringer had a hard time handling a snap, and he never quite got a clean handoff to the running back. Miami recovered the fumble, but the Husker defense forced the Canes to punt. The snap sailed over the punter's head, and he chased it down and tried to kick it out of the back of his own end zone. Nebraska got the ball 1st & goal inside the 5.

This is where the most underrated play occurs. Berringer tried to throw the ball away, but a Miami defender snagged it out of the air in the end zone. Nebraska had turned the ball over on two straight offensive snaps in Miami territory, and that ended Berringer's night.

That play paved the way for Frazier to be re-inserted in the game, leading to Osborne's first national championship. It was an unfortunate play for Brook, but an underrated important turning point for the team.

This is an incredibly interesting choice and something to ponder in regard to the trajectory of that game. One could argue scoring there could have led to NU victory too with Brooks or that TO inserts TF regardless of that particular play. Lots of ways to go there. There are probably dozens of plays to choose from in that game alone (or any of the huge close games NU has had---see Game of the Century).

1969 late fourth Quarter and DONU trailing against KU 14-17, fourth down pass to Jim McFarland (TE) that is incomplete, but wait, pass interference called against KU LB.

KU Head Coach and KU LB BOTH called for unsportsmanlike conduct and the next thing you know instead of turning the ball over to KU on downs and losing the game (which would have meant starting the BiG 8 conference season 0-2), DONU has the ball first and ten at the KU 17.

DONU goes on to score, win the game, tie for the Big 8 championship that year, and begin their 32 game win streak which includes 2 National Championships.

Lose that one big play and who knows, the BoBfather never wins a National Championship, may have even been fired after the 1969 season with three straight years without a BIG 8 championship.

Most crucial play in DONU history, you bet it is.
And it was a terrible call. Pepper Rodgers was the Kansas head coach, and after the game when Devaney and Rodgers met at midfield Devaney reportedly asked Rodgers, "So how did you like my brother's officiating?"
:Lol:

This is an incredibly interesting choice and something to ponder in regard to the trajectory of that game. One could argue scoring there could have led to NU victory too with Brooks or that TO inserts TF regardless of that particular play. Lots of ways to go there. There are probably dozens of plays to choose from in that game alone (or any of the huge close games NU has had---see Game of the Century).
I have to imagine that a TD there would have kept Berringer in the game. Who knows how it would have turned out? Osborne had pulled Frazier earlier after a turnover, but didn't do the same after Berringer's first turnover. I think he wanted that win very badly and was willing to make some moves to make it happen.

Frazier's first series back in the game was a 3 and out, and Cris Collinsworth commented that he thought we'd see Berringer back in because he was the better thrower and Miami was too fast for the option. Instead, Frazier trotted back out there. He had an option run that set up Schlesinger's touchdown, and that run by Frazier still gives me chills. He got up and celebrated with an energy I'll never forget, and it was at that moment that I believed we were going to win. That non-TD run is easily one of my favorite Husker plays of all time.

Game of the Century, NU vs Okla. Fourth quarter and NU is behind OU with about 6 minutes to go, 3rd down and 8, Tagge to JR for 9 yards and a first down that keeps the winning TD drive alive. Most important play ever in NU history.
I wondered if anyone would remember the very low scooping catch by to JR. it was a really hard catch.

NEB: Chuck Malito 23 pass from Ferragamo (Eveland kick) 7:01

Astro BlueBonnet Bowl against Texas Tech in Houston to end the 1976 season 9-3-1.

Tom Osborne says to one of the regents "Glad we came back and won that"

Regent says "me too Tom, we would have voted to fire you"

And that is how you keep the GOAT on staff.

In the modern era, I will go with two plays. The :01 being put back on the clock in 2009 and Taylor Martinez endzone interception in 2010 B12 title game (we were about to go up 24-7). If both plays go our way, we are back to back league champions. And...we don't have this ugly "no league title" streak going back to 1999.
Oh my, I forgot about that interception in the 2010 B12 title game. Brutal!

It is not a play, but a stat. 56. 56 yards. Frazier in the Orange Bowl against Miami accounted for 56 yards of offense. Net 31 rushing. Net 25 passing on 3 of 5. Yep, the starting QB that wins Osbornes first NC accounted for 56 yards.
And he was named MVP of the game!

How about 1993 Nebraska vs Kansas? Down 20-21 with under a minute left, Nebraska stops a 2-pt conversion and holds on for the win. No NC game vs Fl State if we drop that one.
First one I thought of. Ballsy call by Glen Mason not going for the tie - not quite the same stakes as Osborne vs Miami in the 83 season, but a tie would've basically been a W for KU, and possibly derailed the shot at an NC for NU.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back