• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most Improved Players?

Around this time of year, my son and I usually choose/argue on 4-5 players we think are getting ready to make the big jump from not playing much or at all, to starting at least a few games.
As a newby on HuskerMax, this year maybe I can get some feedback about our picks from people who actually know something.
Who wins this year and why? Did we miss anyone?
My son: Omar Manning, Brant Banks, Nouredin Nouili, Javin Wright, Jordan Riley.
Me: Blaise Gunnerson, Nadab Joseph, Braxton Clark, Niko Cooper

Don't care so much who, but just get the playmakers on the field. Offense and defense. Even if they don't know the entire playbook or aren't putting on enough weight, etc. Get them out there, get their feet wet, keep them hungry.

Any of our WRs
Pola-Gates
Wildeman
All of the RBs
All of the OL

If they sniff the field hopefully it keeps their focus and will build competition as well. Just my thoughts.

Since I don't hear much of the interior gossip, see anything not game related on TV, etc. my opinions are always based solely off of what I see. That really limits things. I'd have never pegged Rodgers as a breakout guy in 2020, though he was solid. What I'll do is list my 'wants' instead, since they'll likely make us a better team if I'm right.

1) Pheldarius Payne- He was already a nice surprise in 2020, but a big year from Payne at OLB as a 'Set the edge' and 'Edge rusher' player would be a huge step forward for us in '21. He looked good in spurts as did Nelson. I'd love to see them on the field at the same time, both high energy, high motor guys potentially wreaking havoc on opponents.

2) Xavier Betts/Alante Brown- I list both because they're Freshman and I'd love some sustained success at the position again. Having one or both of these guys be big time contributors next year would be huge. Throw in any of the rest of the 'highly touted' WR room and the offense would look completely different.

3) Nash Hutmatcher- As of today, I don't know if we know if Stille is going to be back or not. Either way, having another option in the middle that can hold is own would be huge. He's likely still a year away, but a year early would be awesome.

4) Anyone in the RB room- Yeah, Mills stays or Mills goes, we need at least one and preferably two of the upper crust of this room to make a splash in 2021. I liked a lot of what I saw on the line this year, but even when they created creases to run through, it didn't seem like much happened. We need to take advantage of EVERY opportunity in every facet of the game and this one seems to be lacking.

5) The 12th man-Hopefully we've got butts in seats again this fall and our fans give it all and take back our home field advantage. We've been good and bad on this one and need to get back to Lincoln being an intimidating place to play.

Maybe Corcoran doesn't count because he started a game, but he's an obvious one. If they move him to guard, Banks is also very likely to be in the group of guys that emerge as new starters. Nouilli might be in line for a jump if they leave Corcoran at guard. Morrison at RB is a decent bet. Maybe Hutmacher at DL. Niko Cooper is a possibility at OLB. I thought he showed some good athleticism on special teams at times, but he also was just learning the position. Payne will likely have a bigger role .There will be a couple in the secondary. Farmer almost will certainly be on the field a lot more. Clark, Jospeh Newsome or Lynum at the corner opposite CTB will be, too.

Last edited:

Since I don't hear much of the interior gossip, see anything not game related on TV, etc. my opinions are always based solely off of what I see. That really limits things. I'd have never pegged Rodgers as a breakout guy in 2020, though he was solid. What I'll do is list my 'wants' instead, since they'll likely make us a better team if I'm right.

1) Pheldarius Payne- He was already a nice surprise in 2020, but a big year from Payne at OLB as a 'Set the edge' and 'Edge rusher' player would be a huge step forward for us in '21. He looked good in spurts as did Nelson. I'd love to see them on the field at the same time, both high energy, high motor guys potentially wreaking havoc on opponents.

2) Xavier Betts/Alante Brown- I list both because they're Freshman and I'd love some sustained success at the position again. Having one or both of these guys be big time contributors next year would be huge. Throw in any of the rest of the 'highly touted' WR room and the offense would look completely different.

3) Nash Hutmatcher- As of today, I don't know if we know if Stille is going to be back or not. Either way, having another option in the middle that can hold is own would be huge. He's likely still a year away, but a year early would be awesome.

4) Anyone in the RB room- Yeah, Mills stays or Mills goes, we need at least one and preferably two of the upper crust of this room to make a splash in 2021. I liked a lot of what I saw on the line this year, but even when they created creases to run through, it didn't seem like much happened. We need to take advantage of EVERY opportunity in every facet of the game and this one seems to be lacking.

5) The 12th man-Hopefully we've got butts in seats again this fall and our fans give it all and take back our home field advantage. We've been good and bad on this one and need to get back to Lincoln being an intimidating place to play.
Damn good list.
Only other person I'd mention is Braxton Clark, who should be CB2 if healthy

Damn good list.
Only other person I'd mention is Braxton Clark, who should be CB2 if healthy

He's one I've heard some things about but is squarely in the 'I don't know much about him' list.

If he's CB2 when healthy, our secondary will be pretty good again next year.

He's one I've heard some things about but is squarely in the 'I don't know much about him' list.

If he's CB2 when healthy, our secondary will be pretty good again next year.
Yep. My biggest concern is at safety. If we lose both starters, there is certainly questions about depth/experience. Need some young guys to make the jump.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back