• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most Absurd Husker Moments? (Off-Field)

Way back.....using Lincoln High school players to fill out teams in the early early years. My dad told me about those.

Yep, this is exactly the stuff I'm looking for. It's technically on-field, but you're right that it's not like a bad play or loss. Totally different than, say, a missed FG or the snow job the Big XII refs gave Nebraska at Texas A&M in that 6-9 game.
Speaking of snow jobs, how about the grounds crew pushing snow off the field during halftime in the 80s. I think vs Kansas

The entire Scott Baldwin saga. Very sad story.

I was a UNL student when Baldwin played FB for the Huskers. He showed some real potential in 1990. 92 carries for 579 yards with 5 TDs.

And then his battles with mental illness got the best of him.

1992: Violent assault on a woman, dismissed by the courts due to insanity. Eight months later, a photo of Scott Baldwin appeared on the front page of the Daily Nebraskan. Naked downtown. As police arrived and shot him. Paralyzing Baldwin from the waist down. I'm pretty sure I still have that rag.

2015: Died at the age of 45, succumbing to his mental and physical battles.

A lot like the story of Lawrence Phillips -- though Baldwin's story is much less known and discussed (and I'd bet many Husker fans under the age of 40 really don't know the story).

I suppose the most absurd part was the photo. I seem to recall the DN taking some heat for that.
I was sitting in the south stadium when he scored against (ISU or OU?) in '91 and landed awkwardly on his shoulder, right in front of me. This was his first game back after a previous injury. The way he landed, I knew he separated his shoulder. I remember thinking, "that's the kind of thing that could really screw with a guy's head". Sure enough, his (public) struggles with mental health started soon after.

Playing golf with the Wiegert brothers and their uncle, who was a good friend of mine and at least as big if not bigger than his nephews! Their uncle hit a driver on a par 4 hole and managed to break the shaft because of how hard he was swinging. The clubhead came up and hit him in the back of the head and he thought I had hit him! Not real funny at first since I thought he was going to kill me, but at least he laughed about it later.

Playing golf with the Wiegert brothers and their uncle, who was a good friend of mine and at least as big if not bigger than his nephews! Their uncle hit a driver on a par 4 hole and managed to break the shaft because of how hard he was swinging. The clubhead came up and hit him in the back of the head and he thought I had hit him! Not real funny at first since I thought he was going to kill me, but at least he laughed about it later.

:Lol::Lol::Lol::Lol::Lol:

Speaking of snow jobs, how about the grounds crew pushing snow off the field during halftime in the 80s. I think vs Kansas

1986 Kansas State…my first game in Lincoln. Snowflakes were huge.

cb1cbdf3416c7a792946a7dc4ac423d4.jpg

Last edited:
I knew an Army Reserve Sergeant Major that was also LEO.

He shared stories of a certain WR, that was the top draft pick, transporting cocaine. Miraculously it just went away on the law enforcement side.

In one of his books, Tom Osborne talks about getting his pilot's license and then soon thereafter taking his wife on a light plane flying into the main airport in Denver, and the Air Traffic Controllers placing him right in the middle of several big airliners lining up to land. I guess it scared the heck out of her.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back