• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most Absurd Husker Moments? (Off-Field)

The entire Scott Baldwin saga. Very sad story.

I was a UNL student when Baldwin played FB for the Huskers. He showed some real potential in 1990. 92 carries for 579 yards with 5 TDs.

And then his battles with mental illness got the best of him.

1992: Violent assault on a woman, dismissed by the courts due to insanity. Eight months later, a photo of Scott Baldwin appeared on the front page of the Daily Nebraskan. Naked downtown. As police arrived and shot him. Paralyzing Baldwin from the waist down. I'm pretty sure I still have that rag.

2015: Died at the age of 45, succumbing to his mental and physical battles.

A lot like the story of Lawrence Phillips -- though Baldwin's story is much less known and discussed (and I'd bet many Husker fans under the age of 40 really don't know the story).

I suppose the most absurd part was the photo. I seem to recall the DN taking some heat for that.

Last edited:

Not bad plays, calls, ref, or game outcomes. No griping about 0:01 left on the clock against Texas.

-------------------

Eric Crouch getting an illegal ham sandwich.

Taylor Martinez "playing better against road games."

Bo Pelini hoisting the cat out of the tunnel.

Ah, Faux. He gave Bo a PR boost he never could have generated on his own.

-Any of the Frost rumors that are actually true
-Taylor Martinez using his phone in the locker room of the A&M game, which led to Pelini chewing him out on the sideline.
-The leaked Roast of Husker Nation by Bo Pelini
-Mary Pat Pelini's "FUSP" gloves

I know that's on field but it's got a singular quality that makes its mention not be like a bad play. In fact, it's a great play. You just have to appreciate it for what it is.

Yep, this is exactly the stuff I'm looking for. It's technically on-field, but you're right that it's not like a bad play or loss. Totally different than, say, a missed FG or the snow job the Big XII refs gave Nebraska at Texas A&M in that 6-9 game.

The entire Scott Baldwin saga. Very sad story.

I was a UNL student when Baldwin played FB for the Huskers. He showed some real potential in 1990. 92 carries for 579 yards with 5 TDs.

And then his battles with mental illness got the best of him.

1992: Violent assault on a woman, dismissed by the courts due to insanity. Eight months later, a photo of Scott Baldwin appeared on the front page of the Daily Nebraskan. Naked downtown. As police arrived and shot him. Paralyzing Baldwin from the waist down. I'm pretty sure I still have that rag.

2015: Died at the age of 45, succumbing to his mental and physical battles.

A lot like the story of Lawrence Phillips -- though Baldwin's story is much less known and discussed (and I'd bet many Husker fans under the age of 40 really don't know the story).

I suppose the most absurd part was the photo. I seem to recall the DN taking some heat for that.

I worked out with Scott at the rec center after he was off the team (and obviously before the shooting), very nice and unassuming fellow. I recall his fear of having mental illness passed onto him as his brother or father had it as well, but can't remember if he told me about that specifically or if I had read that after the shooting. I think he told me about it because after the shooting I felt partially responsible for what happened by not helping him more other than lifting weights. His is a situation that probably should have been caught and treated long before his unfortunate downfall. Sad.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back