• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

More too early preseason rankings

17 seems awfully high for where we are right now. I hope we can live up to the lofty ranking... or with a little good fortune exceed it.

As a die hard Husker fan, there is no way on Earth NU should be rated in any preseason poll. We are coming off two 4-8 years in a row.

If we're 4-0 after Illinois, then you could argue for a top 25 rating before OSU comes to town.
Harumph.

Polls before and during the season don't interest me. I remember 2016 when we started 7-0 and were ranked #7 and everybody was thinking we might make the playoffs. Two weeks later we went to Columbus and 62-3 happened. A few weeks later we went to Iowa City and 40-10 happened. We limped to a 2-4 finish to the season and ended up outside of the top 25. Looking back, that lofty #7 ranking rings pretty hollow.

I'm happy that we're getting some national attention, but that's based more on what Scott Frost & Co. did at UCF in their second year there, not so much on what the Huskers have shown on the field. I'll celebrate when the Huskers END a season in the top 25 because they've EARNED it.

You can't read to much into preseason polls one way or the other. It's based on potential...just like ranking a recruiting class. You really don't know what you have until the whistle blows. However, I do like the fact the outsiders see us progressing in the right direction.

Last edited:

As a die hard Husker fan, there is no way on Earth NU should be rated in any preseason poll. We are coming off two 4-8 years in a row.

If we're 4-0 after Illinois, then you could argue for a top 25 rating before OSU comes to town.
These articles are there for the clicks, not the facts.

The Huskers might/should end up being a top 20 team but they certainly don't deserve to start the season there.

What's happening is an awareness that Nebraska is on the rise under Frost. It was obviously happening by the end of last season. Now with a QB that's in the mix for a Heisman it's natural the Huskers will get attention and be ranked by some pundits! IMO nothing wrong with being ranked but we're going to have to earn those pre season rankings anyway.

Last edited:

They probably read this form a rank accordingly

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back