• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked More Evidence against JoePa in Sandusky Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on this is that the narrative on cases like this are rarely simple. The narrative on Sandusky is certainly simple: he is a predator, and he is mentally ill. His conduct was the very definition of evil.

As for Paterno, Curley, and Spanier, these are not intrinsically evil men. But it definitely appears that in covering the McQueary incident up and not going to the police, they did something that was absolutely evil . I don't think that their motivation can be reduced to something as deceptively simple as they were trying to preserve the integity of the institution, although I think that was a big part of it. I think that people have a natural inclination to disbelieve that people are around them could do something so evil. Paterno and Curley in particular probably found it impossible to believe that this guy they thought of as affable, big-hearted, and devoted to charity and service could be capable of raping a child. They probably rationalized to themselves that McQueary didn't actually see what he thought he saw. They probably felt that allegations against Sandusky would wrongly ruin his life when in fact he hadn't abused anyone. It is amazing how powerful a force cognitive dissonance can be when people want strongly to believe something.

None of this is to excuse the inexcusable. Their behavior in not reporting this incident cannot be justified in any way, shape, or form. All I am saying is that these three guys were most likely not consciously deciding to elevate the reputation of Penn State over the welfare of children.

PSU failed in 1998, in 2001 and beyond. It is not cognitive dissonance. They diliberately covered up for JS.

I submit they did so because Jerry held all the cards. After a witness sees him raping a kid in the shower, that would usually be it for old JS and his camps, fund raisers, etc. at PSU. Techinically, and legally, it should have all ended in 1999 when he was forced out. Again did not happen.

Why? Again, because even Jerry had pull over Joe Pa. I am sure it is because of JS's ability to wax poetically about the 5-2.

There is no way any of this happens the way it did without JS having tons of dirt on everybody involved.

PSU failed in 1998, in 2001 and beyond. It is not cognitive dissonance. They diliberately covered up for JS.

I submit they did so because Jerry held all the cards. After a witness sees him raping a kid in the shower, that would usually be it for old JS and his camps, fund raisers, etc. at PSU. Techinically, and legally, it should have all ended in 1999 when he was forced out. Again did not happen.

Why? Again, because even Jerry had pull over Joe Pa. I am sure it is because of JS's ability to wax poetically about the 5-2.

There is no way any of this happens the way it did without JS having tons of dirt on everybody involved.

I don't agree. The guy who engineered the coverup is Joe Paterno. I fault Schultz, Curley and Spanier (btw, I'm quite relieved a man who displayed such little character when faced with hard choices was and will never again be associated with the University of Nebraska) for knuckling under to JoePa but he's the clear ringleader here. JoePa had two reasons to cover up problems. One, he wanted to get the NCAA wins record. Second, in 2001 his team went 5-7 and there were the beginnings of the rumblings "JoePa is too old." If this came out back in 2001 JoePa would have been forced out then. He did all he could to prevent that.

We already know based on allegations back in the fall from a former Penn State athletic academic person that JoePa had no problem interfering in order to keep his players eligible. I have no doubt he's the guy who wanted to cover this up for his own selfish reasons.

I don't agree. The guy who engineered the coverup is Joe Paterno. I fault Schultz, Curley and Spanier (btw, I'm quite relieved a man who displayed such little character when faced with hard choices was and will never again be associated with the University of Nebraska) for knuckling under to JoePa but he's the clear ringleader here. JoePa had two reasons to cover up problems. One, he wanted to get the NCAA wins record. Second, in 2001 his team went 5-7 and there were the beginnings of the rumblings "JoePa is too old." If this came out back in 2001 JoePa would have been forced out then. He did all he could to prevent that.

We already know based on allegations back in the fall from a former Penn State athletic academic person that JoePa had no problem interfering in order to keep his players eligible. I have no doubt he's the guy who wanted to cover this up for his own selfish reasons.

I've been mulling over what may have contributed to JoePa not taking more action in the Sandusky situation and I have been wondering if it is at all tied to his childhood. This is pure conjecture and I have no basis for this hypothesis, but.....JoePa was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY with a strong Catholic heritage. In fact, I understand he was an altarboy in a diocese that was later implicated in a child abuse scandal involving priests. Could there have been something that happened to JoePa in those formative years that later colored his judgement in responding to the Sandusky mess?????

I've been mulling over what may have contributed to JoePa not taking more action in the Sandusky situation and I have been wondering if it is at all tied to his childhood. This is pure conjecture and I have no basis for this hypothesis, but.....JoePa was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY with a strong Catholic heritage. In fact, I understand he was an altarboy in a diocese that was later implicated in a child abuse scandal involving priests. Could there have been something that happened to JoePa in those formative years that later colored his judgement in responding to the Sandusky mess?????
Hard to determine and is pure speculation without JP being able to confirm. There are a lot of other reasons including Paterno's legacy, his freindship with Sandusky, his desire to become all-time wins leader, his status on the campus ...

Frankly, none of these can be validated.

Hard to determine and is pure speculation without JP being able to confirm. There are a lot of other reasons including Paterno's legacy, his freindship with Sandusky, his desire to become all-time wins leader, his status on the campus ...

Frankly, none of these can be validated.

Nope, and I don't think the truth will come out in his memoirs, either.

Last November, when all this broke, I speculated that the total cost of this would be measured in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I'm not backing away from that. With what appears to be a documented coverup involving the most senior leaders of the school, the athletic department, and the football program I don't see how PSU will be able to afford to field a team a decade from now.

It would take a Pickens-like donor to fix this financially for PSU.

Last November, when all this broke, I speculated that the total cost of this would be measured in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I'm not backing away from that. With what appears to be a documented coverup involving the most senior leaders of the school, the athletic department, and the football program I don't see how PSU will be able to afford to field a team a decade from now.

It would take a Pickens-like donor to fix this financially for PSU.

I somewhat agree, but I don't think they will make the athletic department pay for it, at least in any way that impacts football. The tab will be large but it's a big state and a school with a large constituency. They will pay for it and move on.

I would be pretty nervous if I was a teacher in the Classics Department at Penn State, though. They're more likely to see cuts due to this than the football team. ;)

I somewhat agree, but I don't think they will make the athletic department pay for it, at least in any way that impacts football. The tab will be large but it's a big state and a school with a large constituency. They will pay for it and move on.

I would be pretty nervous if I was a teacher in the Classics Department at Penn State, though. They're more likely to see cuts due to this than the football team. ;)
Don't forget there is insurance ... maybe ... to cover some of the claims. That in itself will be a real battle (between insurance companies and PSU) as well.

Fines, multiple millions to those abused do absolutely NO good for the boys abused.
Life lesson....you dont get to pray or pay all your sins away

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back