• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos' Husker Resume

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
This goes beyond football, but I'll throw it in the football forum since it's gotta go somewhere.

I think we're all aware of the level of success (or lack, thereof) in football. Same song and dance for basketball, although Hoiberg doesn't have nearly the same level of expectation as Frost due to NU's history as a pigskin school and not a hoops school. That being said, everyone knows the importance of Husker Volleyball and Will Bolt has the baseball team performing at a high level.

In the 4 seasons (or 5, depending on sport and Covid) that Moos has been here, his teams have won two national titles, two Big Ten Championships and had numerous post-season appearances.

If Frost can start getting us to bowl games and B1G CCGs, and Hoiberg can put together a +0.500 season, I think Moos will probably write his own checks as AD.

Thoughts?

SportAchievements
VolleyballNational Title (2017), Semi-Finalist (2018)
BowlingNational Title (2021), 3rd Place National Finish (2019), 4th Place National Finish (2018)
BaseballB1G Champs (2017, 2021), NCAA Tournament appearances (2017. 2021)

There are no guarantees in life that any particular hire will absolutely work out, but it's hard to look back and say that at the time the hiring of Bill Moos, then Scott Frost, then Fred Hoiberg, and then Will Bolt were all about as solid as could be imagined. Moos may be from Eastern Washington, but it feels like he grew up rooting for the Huskers somewhere in northwest Nebraska.

I am hoping that we will soon look back at all of the hand-wringing and uncertainty as a temporary phase. I'd be very happy to see all of the coaches above be successful and stay at Nebraska indefinitely. Volleyball seems poised to be on the verge of something unprecedented. I'd be lying if I said that I spent much time thinking about bowling, but, hey, it's cool, too.

What does the all sports comparison look like by year in the big10? I've seen that at times, but that would be interesting to look at over Moos' tenure. Does anyone know where to find that?

Moos's resume is impeccable during his time at Nebraska. He has made A+ coaching hires for the three biggest sports in college athletics. Judging the hires at the time of the hire, no room for criticism imo.
Literally no room for criticism for the hires at the time they were hired.

After this coming year for football anyway, there is room for asking if Moos should move on from Frost.

Literally no room for criticism for the hires at the time they were hired.

After this coming year for football anyway, there is room for asking if Moos should move on from Frost.
Moos will be gone first. I’m betting he’s got his eye on retirement

Ironic that the bowling team wins a national title and Scott can't even spell bowl as Head Coach

Moos's resume is impeccable during his time at Nebraska. He has made A+ coaching hires for the three biggest sports in college athletics. Judging the hires at the time of the hire, no room for criticism imo.
100% correct. IF, and that's a big IF, Moos were around if/when it's decision time on Frost then you could argue based on what he does. But Bolt has the program apparently in the right direction, Hoiberg appears to as well though we haven't seen results other than recruiting results. But the B1G was a bear this year and even improvement probably wouldn't have shown.

Going way way out on a limb but I believe Frost and company are going to put most of the serious doubts behind him this season. I see a plus .500 season and a decent bowl bid in 2021. Moos will stick around another couple of years and help guide the upgrades for our facilities.

Moos hired on paper about the BEST coaches available at the time for football and basketball. ZERO issues on what he's done over all imo. Anyone here pining away for dear old SP to return? Probably not if one is sane!! Bottom line we've greatly needed stability in our coaching ranks. I think giving Bolt an extension right now might also be a good move.

Going way way out on a limb but I believe Frost and company are going to put most of the serious doubts behind him this season. I see a plus .500 season and a decent bowl bid in 2021. Moos will stick around another couple of years and help guide the upgrades for our facilities.

Moos hired on paper about the BEST coaches available at the time for football and basketball. ZERO issues on what he's done over all imo. Anyone here pining away for dear old SP to return? Probably not if one is sane!! Bottom line we've greatly needed stability in our coaching ranks. I think giving Bolt an extension right now might also be a good move.
Jeez I hope you are right. I never thought there was a chance that Fred Hoiberg would come to Lincoln. Bolt was an obvious hire, and the timing was right -- same thing with Frost.

I said this in another forum: I never thought there was a real chance that Nebraska could sign a 5* high school basketballer, but they did and they are in the lead for 3 others over the next two seasons. That is transformative.

Moos will be gone first. I’m betting he’s got his eye on retirement
I’d agree. If it does indeed come to pass that Frost just isn’t going to work out, it won’t be him doing it. I think he’ll retire before he has to do that. Depending on if Frost improves, to me, depends on how long he stays. Nice to be part of a winner.

There are no guarantees in life that any particular hire will absolutely work out, but it's hard to look back and say that at the time the hiring of Bill Moos, then Scott Frost, then Fred Hoiberg, and then Will Bolt were all about as solid as could be imagined. Moos may be from Eastern Washington, but it feels like he grew up rooting for the Huskers somewhere in northwest Nebraska.

I am hoping that we will soon look back at all of the hand-wringing and uncertainty as a temporary phase. I'd be very happy to see all of the coaches above be successful and stay at Nebraska indefinitely. Volleyball seems poised to be on the verge of something unprecedented. I'd be lying if I said that I spent much time thinking about bowling, but, hey, it's cool, too.
Moos has made what, at the time, were three outstanding hires for the three main mens sports. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 have yet to show any positive returns.

Moos has made what, at the time, were three outstanding hires for the three main mens sports. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 have yet to show any positive returns.

Even if you could Cher it and Turn Back Time, I would want him to make the exact same hires. Frost was one of the hottest coaches in college football and made too much sense. Hoiberg was a rock star hire. Bolt was the best a Big 10 program could reasonably hire. I’m not the biggest fan of Moos personally, but he’s made three good hires.

This is a huge year for Nebraska men’s athletics. Our football program needs to produce this year. If Frost doesn’t produce and start sending players to the league this year, he’s going to be a salesman with very little to sell. If he has another sub-.500 season, it’s over for him. He may get another year, but it’s effectively over. Hoiberg is still a year behind in the rebuild. He’s pulling in some crazy talent, now he just needs to develop and coach it. Bolt already has to rolling, just needs to recruit and build. I think he will consistently be the best team in the Big 10, he’s young and hungry.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back