• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos, 8 or 9 wins?

Agreed. We all wanted the Frost hire, and Moos would have been crucified if he had passed over Frost and hired someone else. If it doesn't work out, it is Frost's fault. He has all the resources he needs and has the backing of his AD. If it fails it's due to his missteps, or maybe it means the curse theory is true.... :oops:

I guess I would agree that if he isn't successful at Nebraska that it is his fault, but why it happens is often a great mystery.

Why did Charlie Strong and Tom Herman fail at Texas? They had way more resources than Nebraska has. They were both golden boys at one time just like Frost was. Why have so many guys failed at Miami? All the have to do is recruit a 50 mile radius. Why did so many coaches before Nick Sabin got to Alabama fail?

As far as the money goes, that is the price of operating in big time football these days. It not my money or your money, unless you are a big time donor.

I guess I would agree that if he isn't successful at Nebraska that it is his fault, but why it happens is often a great mystery.

Why did Charlie Strong and Tom Herman fail at Texas? They had way more resources than Nebraska has. They were both golden boys at one time just like Frost was. Why have so many guys failed at Miami? All the have to do is recruit a 50 mile radius. Why did so many coaches before Nick Sabin got to Alabama fail?

As far as the money goes, that is the price of operating in big time football these days. It not my money or your money, unless you are a big time donor.
I think Herman like SF was young, and texas blew it doing the want it now, what have you done for us NOW thing.
Strong isnt as good a coach, and faced trying to clean things up too big a thing to do, especially with the admin/support, same group that ousted Herman

I agree it's often a mystery, and the answers remain elusive. What variable in the equation causes a guy to fail at one place and succeed at another? There are many possibilities, and I sure don't have all the answers, but many times it seems a lack of flexibility and effective self-evaluation is what dooms them. They will use certain methods no matter if the success comes or not. If they are moving to HC from a coordinator, then they never really had control of all the details until the present. They could have flaws in their approach that will usually only show up when they are given complete control. I think the shorter time frame that coaches are given amplifies the need to start off on the right track, because it's rare these days that a coach is given time to screw up 3 or 4 times in hiring staff, in implementing Offensive/Defensive systems, or in his recruiting approach. As far as whose money it is, I'm not sure how that is relevant. They are being paid a lot of money, much more than their assistants are, for overall responsibility and to solve problems on the highest level, no matter where the money comes from. Their peers in big-time D1 sports are in the same boat financially, and as far as expectations go, so it's all relative when you look at college football as a whole. And, if we don't think that the high amount being spent on these coaches doesn't trickle down to the fans, then I don't think we are being realistic....

So, hes like Bo?
I think hes deeper than that
I think he is deeper than that, and is much better in how he deals with people. But, he still has a big ego and and likes to talk. That can lead to a stubbornness that is to one's detriment, like throwing the horizontal pass 50 times in a season when it never works.....or in repeatedly insisting that "you know where this is going" as the program circles the drain..... :p This season will tell us a lot about how stubborn Frost is, and if he is willing to change to the degree required to move the program forward.

I think he is deeper than that, and is much better in how he deals with people. But, he still has a big ego and and likes to talk. That can lead to a stubbornness that is to one's detriment, like throwing the horizontal pass 50 times in a season when it never works.....or in repeatedly insisting that "you know where this is going" as the program circles the drain..... :p This season will tell us a lot about how stubborn Frost is, and if he is willing to change to the degree required to move the program forward.
Partly agree, but those things are what make coaches great.
But if he fails, the question of his failing at his alma mater will be asked.

I just dont see him blaming the admin, the fans, the refs etc etc etc.

I think this years team is all about accountability, its been pushed by the staff onto the players, and they are responding accordingly

Partly agree, but those things are what make coaches great.
But if he fails, the question of his failing at his alma mater will be asked.

I just dont see him blaming the admin, the fans, the refs etc etc etc.

I think this years team is all about accountability, its been pushed by the staff onto the players, and they are responding accordingly
Agreed. There can be a fine line between confidence and excessive ego. And, I don't think Frost has the same character flaws as Bo, and would lash out at the fans. He might get pissy with other coaches about clapping though..... :Lol:

So, let me make sure I am reading this correctly, a few weeks ago Moos and Frost wanted to get out of the Oklahoma game because the schedule was too tough. Now Moos sees 8-9 wins realistically? How does this make sense?
That wasn't the reason for changing that game. It's all about money in the athletic department and we were trying to get a home game that weekend and Oklahoma wasn't with the idea of playing in Lincoln.

That wasn't the reason for changing that game. It's all about money in the athletic department and we were trying to get a home game that weekend and Oklahoma wasn't with the idea of playing in Lincoln.
Adding a 13th game wont make those late games easier.
No, it wasnt about the schedule, but about money and recruiting as well, and the fan base etc.

Have to agree. Also think his desire to 'get it right' will prevail over his shortcomings.

I don't think 8 or 9 wins is a realistic expectation. OU, Mich, and OSU are most certainly losses. It is realistic to expect no more than one loss in all the other games? I see 4 games (NW, Minn, Wisc, and IA) that are 50/50 at best and if the recent trend continues, at least one loss among teams we're exected to beat.

7 wins, tops.

Have to agree. Also think his desire to 'get it right' will prevail over his shortcomings.
And his shortcomings are being developed out as he learns.
It isnt all on him, the staff in general need to take it up a notch, or at least need to learn how to.
As the team becomes 'older', and players emerge as team leaders, all this becomes easier, and again, it seems theyre on track, with both the players and the staff searching a common goal.

I think what we heard when SF and other staff have mentioned doing it different is all a part of what they knew, and what they had, and werent on top of what it needed.

Easier to take a hungry, disenchanted talented team that knew how to win, and turn them around, much harder than for a team that didnt really know how to win, with high expectations, the losing gnawing at those that cared, and many also didnt.
Those that didnt care beyond themselves are mostly gone, the team still needs to learn to win, what it takes no matter the adversity, but this, the staff knows what it takes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back