• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos, 8 or 9 wins?

If I recall correctly trying to get out of the Oklahoma game was a way to increase revenue.
So, let me make sure I am reading this correctly, a few weeks ago Moos and Frost wanted to get out of the Oklahoma game because the schedule was too tough. Now Moos sees 8-9 wins realistically? How does this make sense?

Last edited:

I was thinking the same thing. While I don't think Moos was putting him on notice, I think Moos inadvertently set a bar that has bit us in the backside numerous times. It's one of my bigger issues, I probably wouldn't be as frustrated as I am if people closest to the program weren't spouting off things like the below tweets and then telling us something different after it doesn't happen:

I don't blame the staff much when fans eat up what they say. Human nature will have you continue to do the same habits that illicit responses of excitement from the fanbase. But I wish Moos would just say "I expect us to be much improved in 2021" and move on from there.

Usually agree with you most of the time, but I disagree here. Its been four years, saying a tangible number sets the bar. If I have an employee at the hospital approaching termination because of a lack of results, it doesn't help them if I just say "improve by next year." When I go to fire them, they will likely sue the hospital saying they didn't have good measurables to improve. I am not suggesting Scott will sue the University, but I am just saying helping someone means giving them the specifics they need to work on. The one thing I hope Moos did is touch base with Scott on this expectation before he went public with it.

Last edited:
For the record, read his entire quote. He didn't predict 8 or 9 wins, he said that's a realistic expectation. He also said they have their work cut out for them, they are playing one of the toughest schedules in the country, mentioned almost every tough team on the schedule, and acknowledged that they lost to Illinois last year.
That seems a little different than making a bold proclamation.

For the record, read his entire quote. He didn't predict 8 or 9 wins, he said that's a realistic expectation. He also said they have their work cut out for them, they are playing one of the toughest schedules in the country, mentioned almost every tough team on the schedule, and acknowledged that they lost to Illinois last year.
Well, that does sound different

So, let me make sure I am reading this correctly, a few weeks ago Moos and Frost wanted to get out of the Oklahoma game because the schedule was too tough. Now Moos sees 8-9 wins realistically? How does this make sense?
I guess you don't agree with the stated purpose for changing the OU game.....adding a home game?

How dare you bring facts into this discussion!!!

This gives me an idea.

“Honey, you are right, cleaning out the garage this weekend is a reasonable expectation” :Biggrin:

Last edited:
Usually agree with you most of the time, but I disagree here. Its been four years, saying a tangible number sets the bar. If I have an employee at the hospital approaching termination because of a lack of results, it doesn't help them if I just say "improve by next year." When I go to fire them, they will likely sue the hospital saying they didn't have good measurables to improve. I am not suggesting Scott will sue the University, but I am just saying helping someone means giving them the specifics they need to work on. The one thing I hope Moos did is touch base with Scott on this expectation before he went public with it.
I get the analogy you are trying to relay, and it would hold water in a typical scenario of an employee having results that are getting close to warranting termination. Heck, if I was that employee I would want something to strive for to know what makes me "safe" or if I should be on monster.com. But the problem is, in your scenario you gave you left out a major detail, you told that employee "you are here as long as I am" just four months ago. So why would four months later a tangible result matter at all?

Moos doesn't have to lay out any expectation because he will not be in charge of the next football coach at Nebraska if it were to be someone other than Frost. Further, Frost went 2-1 after that statement, so why all of a sudden if I was so safe did those 3 games turn into "8 or 9 wins" as a result that's needed the following year? I think that's a lofty goal. And he didn't need to put "measurables" there if he isn't the one that will be dealing with it IMO. He certainly didn't need to publicly state them.

Last edited:

But does "8 or 9 wins is a realistic expectation" change anyone's thought process as a fan as opposed to the AD predicting 8 or 9 wins? Does that really change what is being talked about in this thread? Honestly, I think the AD saying "8 or 9 wins is a realistic expectation" is equal to him predicting it. It shifts from just his thought, to setting a bar for what other people's expectations can be and not outlandish. At minimum it gives the people ammo when we go 6-6 to say "but you said 8 or 9 was a realistic expectation so why shouldn't we be mad we fell way short of a realistic expectation?"

I just want us to be bowl eligible this year. With the schedule we have that is certainly improvement.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back