• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Momentum Towards 12 Team Playoff

I like it when the regular season matters. When it's more than just a long prelude to a tournament that all the moderately successful teams get into. When you have to be consistently excellent over an entire season, rather than get hot at the right time. When losing focus at any point has real consequences, upsets matter, and lowly teams can do things of substance that affect the CFB landscape on any given Saturday.

Saban has won 6 titles at 'Bama, but on FOUR of those, they've had a loss during the season. Dropping a game barely affects their chances; they have a built-in mulligan. Teams with top talent now can be on something like cruise control until the end of the season.

Sports is both entertainment & competition, and I know my POV gives more weight to the entertainment aspect than just having it be a pure competition. But ignoring that starts to hollow out the soul of the sport, and I think people underestimate how important that is.
Solid post 2010, especially the part about Saban and Alabama. A one loss Bama team is 99% assured to be in the playoffs each season. I think 8 teams would be better but if they make it 12, I'm okay with that too.

Last edited:

12 is way too many.

They should do 6 or 8, but they want to squeeze as much money out of it as they can, so...

I watch the current version of the playoffs on TV because they are on Monday nite and not much happening anyway.

They're "out if it" as far as any playoff consideration goes - I guess I should clarify that I'm talking about traditional bowls vs. a playoff system, rather than being a big fan of the current 4 team setup. 80-90% of teams are realistically out of it before the season starts.

They're "out if it" as far as any playoff consideration goes - I guess I should clarify that I'm talking about traditional bowls vs. a playoff system, rather than being a big fan of the current 4 team setup. 80-90% of teams are realistically out of it before the season starts.
Well no...technically 0% are out of it before it starts.

I watch the current version of the playoffs on TV because they are on Monday nite and not much happening anyway.
Really ?! You seriously watch the national title game only because there's "not much happening anyway" ?!! Heck last year I went to the Ohio State-Clemson semi in Phoenix just for the fun of it. Can't imagine not going because Murder She Wrote is on !:)

I like the idea of the bigger play-off picture 12 teams give more teams the opportunity to play.

I haven't read through all the posts but I'm sure there's a lot of "it diminishes the regular season" stuff. I simply don't agree. When the top 4 teams get a bye, that's huge. When the next get to host a home game? That's huge. That still places a large emphasis on having a great regular season. Furthermore, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of a team like Florida State or Florida or Bama or LSU (you get the idea) having to travel to OSU, or NU, or Washington, or Oregon in December! Those teams NEVER, or rather, VERY RARELY, travel north to play. Adding in the potential for NU to host a December game for a southern team just gets my juices flowing.
So what we need is top 6 seeds are conference champions and the 6 at large are 7-12.

Otherwise you get a team getting to miss the CCG and then get a first round bye.

I've been in favor of an 8 team playoff system since the mid 90's and I still am. I think 8 teams, the 5 automatics and 3 at large bids. It just seems the perfect number of teams to me.

Really ?! You seriously watch the national title game only because there's "not much happening anyway" ?!! Heck last year I went to the Ohio State-Clemson semi in Phoenix just for the fun of it. Can't imagine not going because Murder She Wrote is on !:)
I really like Star Trek, M A S H, and the Rifleman and I hate with a passion what ESPN has done to college football. To think adding more games is going to fix the playoff issues indicates you have not been paying attention

Go 8 or 16. The committee would be deciding who gets the byes, and expansion to 12 is only a thing because people seem to think they are not fair now. Some of these teams would not be playing in conference championship games, some would. Some losers of conference championships would be in, setting up for the potential for rematches in the playoffs a week or two later. An SEC team that didn't even make the conference championship could be placed ahead of a team that won their division but lost the championship game. A team could potentially play 17 games if they took part in a conference playoff but were not one of the teams to be gifted a bye from the committee. This whole thing will be one giant cluster; full of games that will make little sense, and for what? Just to make sure they didn't pick the wrong #4 team or give the years G5 darling a sniff? Hard pass from me.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back