• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Momentum Towards 12 Team Playoff

The other bowls have become less relevant. I don’t really think that’s debatable. When you have more and more players opting out of bowl games it’s hard to argue that those games are particularly relevant. The Oklahoma vs Florida bowl game is a prime example. Football purists like myself (or my former self I guess) would contend that should be a marquee game. Two powerhouse programs battling it out in a bowl game. And it was a joke because so many players opted out it wasn’t even the same teams that played throughout the season. When the players don’t care it’s tough for fans to care.

Playoff expansion is going to happen. It’s not if, it’s when. At this point, I’m ready. I’m tired of watching the same 6 or 7 teams compete in the only postseason games that seem to matter anymore. Might as well make it more interesting, at least interesting enough that the players actually want to play the games.
That's the thing, I know we're never going back to the old bowl system, so we might as well expand it and get all the P5 conferences in it. I kind of liked 8, but the bowls have become so crappy that 12 or 16 wouldn't really upset me anymore.

I think people are already loosing interest in seeing the same few teams in the top 4 every year. I know I am. With every conference getting in, players know they have a shot at whichever conference they play for.

They're "out if it" as far as any playoff consideration goes - I guess I should clarify that I'm talking about traditional bowls vs. a playoff system, rather than being a big fan of the current 4 team setup. 80-90% of teams are realistically out of it before the season starts.

CFB is inherently different than a professional league in that there are massively higher numbers of teams, and a playing field that's not close to level (and can't/won't/shouldn't be). The goals & aspirations of different schools are discordant (well over 50% of I-A universities are not even thinking in terms of legitimate national title contention, like ever)... I think it kept the regular season more engaging when there was a system more in line with that reality.

Hasn't it already, though? It wasn't that long ago that something like Boston College over Notre Dame was a seismic, cultural event. If the equivalent happened this year, the ND equivalent team would be back to the 3 or 4 spot, ND/FSU would rematch in the playoffs, and the BC game would be a footnote.
Even if that’s correct (it’s watered down the reg season) we’re not going back to the old system. So I think we need to accept the new reality and figure out how to make it better and more interesting. I think expanding the playoffs does that.

Even if that’s correct (it’s watered down the reg season) we’re not going back to the old system. So I think we need to accept the new reality and figure out how to make it better and more interesting. I think expanding the playoffs does that.
No. I will continue to rage about this, screaming bitterly into the void until my dying breath.

No. I will continue to rage about this, screaming bitterly into the void until my dying breath.
Stand your ground!

I’ll share one more thought. I can see a 12 team playoff leading to better nonconference matchups as well. Right now, some teams are scared to schedule competition. The idea is to simply go undefeated, so teams are incentivized to schedule cupcakes. An expanded playoff gives teams a little wiggle room for an early season loss to a noncon opponent and maybe give us a chance to see more big boy matchups early in the season. That would make for a better product overall.

it is so funny reading how people are so excited about the 12 team playoff. yes, lets just "volunteer" these kids to play more games for free. if i had a son, who could go to the next level, there is no way he would play in this bs. for what? so people in suits can make more billions, and others can sit on the their sofa drinking lol? college football has been on the decline for awhile, and this will only propel that. stop trying to compete with the NFL model. cfb is not on that level, and never will be. finally, you do not have 5 or 6 teams good enough to win a nc, let alone 12. this is going to be a bust.

it is so funny reading how people are so excited about the 12 team playoff. yes, lets just "volunteer" these kids to play more games for free. if i had a son, who could go to the next level, there is no way he would play in this bs. for what? so people in suits can make more billions, and others can sit on the their sofa drinking lol? college football has been on the decline for awhile, and this will only propel that. stop trying to compete with the NFL model. cfb is not on that level, and never will be. finally, you do not have 5 or 6 teams good enough to win a nc, let alone 12. this is going to be a bust.
Nobody is forced to play college football. Some people pay for college. Others head straight to the job market. If they don’t want to play they have other options.

Last edited:
Nobody is forced to play college football. Some people pay for college. Others head straight to the job market. If they don’t want to play they have other options.
oh geeze. here we go with that tired argument. some of these kids want to go to the nfl, and as of now, they have to play college football to do it. they can not head straight to their job market. just like a doctor or lawyer engineer etc, can not jump straight into their market. don"t be that guy dude.

oh geeze. here we go with that tired argument. some of these kids want to go to the nfl, and as of now, they have to play college football to do it. they can not head straight to their job market. just like a doctor or lawyer engineer etc, can not jump straight into their market. don"t be that guy dude.
The fact that you disagree doesn’t make it a tired argument. I could say the same about your point of view. Nobody has to play in the NFL either. All of these players could take the route that the other 99.99 percent take and make a living outside of sports. Or they could do what 1 percent of Americans do and fight for our country in the military. That’s a little more risky than the horror of playing a few more football games. Those poor young men.

To add, we’re moving towards more and more benefits for our young athletes such as NIL, which I’m in favor of. I’m all for them getting to earn some money while playing ball. But you won’t find me crying for anyone because they might have to play a few more football games. I’m not that guy, dude.

Last edited:
I haven't read through all the posts but I'm sure there's a lot of "it diminishes the regular season" stuff. I simply don't agree. When the top 4 teams get a bye, that's huge. When the next get to host a home game? That's huge. That still places a large emphasis on having a great regular season. Furthermore, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of a team like Florida State or Florida or Bama or LSU (you get the idea) having to travel to OSU, or NU, or Washington, or Oregon in December! Those teams NEVER, or rather, VERY RARELY, travel north to play. Adding in the potential for NU to host a December game for a southern team just gets my juices flowing.

Last edited:
That's the thing, I know we're never going back to the old bowl system, so we might as well expand it and get all the P5 conferences in it. I kind of liked 8, but the bowls have become so crappy that 12 or 16 wouldn't really upset me anymore.

I think people are already loosing interest in seeing the same few teams in the top 4 every year. I know I am. With every conference getting in, players know they have a shot at whichever conference they play for.
You said it right here. I think limiting it to 4 has actually bolstered the top teams, kids know you go to OU, Bama, Clemson if you want to win it all. The way you start to level the playing field is by giving MORE teams chances. And let's face it, more games that matter is never a bad thing IMO.

Last edited:
The fact that you disagree doesn’t make it a tired argument. I could say the same about your point of view. Nobody has to play in the NFL either. All of these players could take the route that the other 99.99 percent take and make a living outside of sports. Or they could do what 1 percent of Americans do and fight for our country in the military. That’s a little more risky than the horror of playing a few more football games. Those poor young men.

To add, we’re moving towards more and more benefits for our young athletes such as NIL, which I’m in favor of. I’m all for them getting to earn some money while playing ball. But you won’t find me crying for anyone because they might have to play a few more football games. I’m not that guy, dude

To add, we’re moving towards more and more benefits for our young athletes such as NIL, which I’m in favor of. I’m all for them getting to earn some money while playing ball. But you won’t find me crying for anyone because they might have to play a few more football games. I’m not that guy, dude.
all good my man

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back