• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Momentum Towards 12 Team Playoff

It seems inevitable it will expand. The genie's out of the bottle. I wonder if these larger proposals are out there because that is what ultimately leads to the smaller expansion settlement.

I don’t know what the number is, but only 4 teams in a playoff, with 130 or so teams, is stupid. I just almost wish they’d just go back to the old bowl system, where maybe as many as 4-5 teams could win it. Remember how much everyone liked to watch all the bowl games? Now no one cares, goes, or watches, unless you’re in the playoff, everything else is irrelevant.

I don’t know what the number is, but only 4 teams in a playoff, with 130 or so teams, is stupid. I just almost wish they’d just go back to the old bowl system, where maybe as many as 4-5 teams could win it. Remember how much everyone liked to watch all the bowl games? Now no one cares, goes, or watches, unless you’re in the playoff, everything else is irrelevant.
I'm of the opposite view. I've never understood the argument that the playoff made the other bowls worthless. Before there were playoffs, there were lots of bowl games and only one or two had any effect on determining the national champion. Most all bowl games were popular and well-attended. I don't think the playoff has had a negative effect on other bowls; there are other factors involved, like personal finances, popularity of the sport, etc.

I'm of the opposite view. I've never understood the argument that the playoff made the other bowls worthless. Before there were playoffs, there were lots of bowl games and only one or two had any effect on determining the national champion. Most all bowl games were popular and well-attended. I don't think the playoff has had a negative effect on other bowls; there are other factors involved, like personal finances, popularity of the sport, etc.
Simply not true. I can recall 5 or 6 New Year’s Day, where going into the day, as many as 5 teams could win the national championship, depending on what happened. Now, all the focus is on just two games, then one. I just find it pretty ridiculous that out of nearly 130 teams, only 4 make a playoff. That just doesn’t even make sense. I also realize, that at this level, you can’t have a 16 team playoff either. Although, if they start getting paid, then play their asses off.

Simply not true. I can recall 5 or 6 New Year’s Day, where going into the day, as many as 5 teams could win the national championship, depending on what happened. Now, all the focus is on just two games, then one. I just find it pretty ridiculous that out of nearly 130 teams, only 4 make a playoff. That just doesn’t even make sense. I also realize, that at this level, you can’t have a 16 team playoff either. Although, if they start getting paid, then play their asses off.
I’m still a fan of 8 but could listen to arguments for 16. I would like to see four or five super conferences. Make division’s very regional. Example would be Nebraska and it’s old big eight foes maybe mix in Iowa and Arkansas. West Virginia in the Big twelve is stupid. Maybe kick some smaller schools down a level. I would kick Rutgers to the curb. The bowl games are completely meaningless now. All the 6-6 or 5-7 teams are interesting for us rabid football fans but no one else cares. Attendance and tv. Ratings prove that point.

DO IT!

The current playoff system has basically lessened the interest in college football instead of increased it.

There’s no drama or excitement in them anymore unless you belong to a VERY few that make the final four…regularly. Hurts the sport badly.

it has pretty much weakened interest in ANY bowls except the playoff involved bowls.

And kids are sitting out on teams playing in non playoff bowls because….who cares.

we saw how December can add a game or two…no issue.

And honestly, very few teams would get to the point of “adding games.”

FCS does it right. IMHO and it “spreads the wealth” and creates extra interest and excitement.

They need to make this happen!

I have liked the idea of 12, but the top 4 get a bye (making every game matter), and I’d want the first round to be played on the higher ranked team’s home field. Let’s see how some teams adapt to less than favorable conditions. It’s a part of the NFL playoff process, I think it should be in college as well.

I agree. Getting a BYE and/or home field advantage should be kept as a motivator.

Another criticism is that you see NFL teams wrapping up a divisional title and then resting their starters for the playoffs. This makes those late-season games less meaningful if a team has already locked in their place.

But it's an argument that doesn't hold water in FBS. In the NFL, you're competing with only 3 other teams for your spot. But in FBS you are competing with 5-6 other teams in your division, plus another divisional champ in order to secure your spot (win a conference championship).

How many times have we seen a scenario where the divisional rounds come down to the final weekend of the regular season? Think NU-Iowa and Wisconsin-Minnesota playing the same weekend. There are just too many teams and too few games for any one team to get a commanding lead in the standings and just coast out the last 3-5 weeks.

Increasing the c.f. playoff will just ruin the sport..... the fact that more than half the people support that, means that more than half the people are wrong. no one in their right mind wants 3 or 4 loss teams making a claim to the title. the best part of CF, is that EVERY GAME COUNTS, even the non-conf early season games. C.F. has THE BEST regular season of any sport, and to cheapen the regular season, or make those games meaningless, would ruin the very best of sports.

I like it when the regular season matters. When it's more than just a long prelude to a tournament that all the moderately successful teams get into. When you have to be consistently excellent over an entire season, rather than get hot at the right time. When losing focus at any point has real consequences, upsets matter, and lowly teams can do things of substance that affect the CFB landscape on any given Saturday.

Saban has won 6 titles at 'Bama, but on FOUR of those, they've had a loss during the season. Dropping a game barely affects their chances; they have a built-in mulligan. Teams with top talent now can be on something like cruise control until the end of the season.

Sports is both entertainment & competition, and I know my POV gives more weight to the entertainment aspect than just having it be a pure competition. But ignoring that starts to hollow out the soul of the sport, and I think people underestimate how important that is.
I get that point and it’s valid. I actually think the playoffs make the regular season even more important for more teams. So many teams are out of it by mid season that a ton of regular season games don’t garner much interest. The regular season has become fairly meaningless to 90 percent of the teams. Hell, even the players don’t care as they opt out of late season games and bowl games. It’s only going to get worse. Our best bet to see more meaningful games is to expand the playoffs imo. And it’s still a helluva feat to get into an 8 or 12 team playoff when there are over 100 teams total. Winning a conference title or earning one of a few at large bids is a big deal. To me it just makes the regular season more interesting for a greater number of teams who may have a shot the playoffs. I don’t see it watering down the regular season at all.

The other bowls have become less relevant. I don’t really think that’s debatable. When you have more and more players opting out of bowl games it’s hard to argue that those games are particularly relevant. The Oklahoma vs Florida bowl game is a prime example. Football purists like myself (or my former self I guess) would contend that should be a marquee game. Two powerhouse programs battling it out in a bowl game. And it was a joke because so many players opted out it wasn’t even the same teams that played throughout the season. When the players don’t care it’s tough for fans to care.

Playoff expansion is going to happen. It’s not if, it’s when. At this point, I’m ready. I’m tired of watching the same 6 or 7 teams compete in the only postseason games that seem to matter anymore. Might as well make it more interesting, at least interesting enough that the players actually want to play the games.

Last edited:

I get that point and it’s valid. I actually think the playoffs make the regular season even more important for more teams. So many teams are out of it by mid season that a ton of regular season games don’t garner much interest. The regular season has become fairly meaningless to 90 percent of the teams. Hell, even the players don’t care as they opt out of late season games and bowl games. It’s only going to get worse. Our best bet to see more meaningful games is to expand the playoffs imo. And it’s still a helluva feat to get into an 8 or 12 team playoff when there are over 100 teams total. Winning a conference title or earning one of a few at large bids is a big deal. To me it just makes the regular season more interesting for a greater number of teams who may have a shot the playoffs. I don’t see it watering down the regular season at all.
I think it puts more significance on the conference title. I loved the old bowl structure but it’s dead. The bowls they put on now are sad and meaningless. Plus if they regionalized the divisions it would make for more excitement. I would much rather play Missouri, Kansas, Iowa , Iowa St every year.

Increasing the c.f. playoff will just ruin the sport..... the fact that more than half the people support that, means that more than half the people are wrong. no one in their right mind wants 3 or 4 loss teams making a claim to the title. the best part of CF, is that EVERY GAME COUNTS, even the non-conf early season games. C.F. has THE BEST regular season of any sport, and to cheapen the regular season, or make those games meaningless, would ruin the very best of sports.
So is it your contention that Valvano’s run to the title with the Wolfpack ruined college basketball? How about Nova’s upset of Georgetown? Was it detrimental for Butler to make the finals against Duke? Because at 33-5 in the Horizon league, they wouldn’t have sniffed a 16 team playoff.

I don’t agree with your assessment that we cheapen a playoff if we deepen the participation.

the fact that more than half the people support that, means that more than half the people are wrong.
Whelp…I admire your passion my friend but with all due respect.

I in the ”loyal opposition“ most respectfully, disagrees.

If more than half think it could be better…

CFB has a problem.

Again…just my opinion…and that and $3 “might” get me a decent cup of joe at Starbucks….

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back