• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Moderating the Urban Meyer Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhorse

Husker Fan
15 Year Member
Urban Meyer seems to be off to a fast start in recruiting but what effect(s) will the NCAA sanctions have on OSU recruiting? Especially interested in what RR thinks about this situation.

Last edited:

I'm not RR...

But I think the weak sanctions the NCAA levied won't have much effect at all. 2012 bowl game? Hell some (a lot?) will probably RS so they won't even miss it..and shouldn't really hurt recruiting for this year (obviously so far). Reducing total scholarships from 85 to 82 through the 2014 season won't exactly kill them...seems awfully weak to me.

Almost a complete pass IMO.

Last edited:
Agree with Bils for the most part...had they lost 30 scholarships over three years, as USC will starting this year, it would have been a big deal....3 is manageable and probally will have little or no effect...the bowl game I agree on too...at worst they may lose the $$ shared among the conference teams if the sanctions spell out they cannot have an equal share of the profit....

Probation until 2014 will only become a problem if they gat caught doing something else in that time....Meyer ran a tight ship at Utah and Florida....along with Georgia the only two schools in the SEC to not oversign like there was no tomorrow...so they should be good in that area....

Expect the schools competing with them for recruits to go negative on them big time....but Meyer and Ohio State have big enough names to over come any of that....

Honestly I don't see these sanctions having much if any effect from a first blush....they got off pretty easy....with Tressell taking the worst of the blow....

Agree with Bils for the most part...had they lost 30 scholarships over three years, as USC will starting this year, it would have been a big deal....3 is manageable and probally will have little or no effect...the bowl game I agree on too...at worst they may lose the $$ shared among the conference teams if the sanctions spell out they cannot have an equal share of the profit....

Probation until 2014 will only become a problem if they gat caught doing something else in that time....Meyer ran a tight ship at Utah and Florida....along with Georgia the only two schools in the SEC to not oversign like there was no tomorrow...so they should be good in that area....

Expect the schools competing with them for recruits to go negative on them big time....but Meyer and Ohio State have big enough names to over come any of that....

Honestly I don't see these sanctions having much if any effect from a first blush....they got off pretty easy....with Tressell taking the worst of the blow....

I am going to disagree with RR on this one...as of 9/16/2010, in the 4 1/2 seasons of Meyer as UF's head coach there had been 30 arrests - I would not consider that a "tight ship". More to the point, I am a bit surprised that tOSU is trying to move on from a discipline issue by hiring a coach that has a record of having such poor discipline. The sad thing is, most people don't even know about his team's lack of discipline off-the-field.

30 Arrests

List of Arrests with Outcomes and Meyer Punishments

Last edited:

How many of those kids did he recruit though?

I am going to disagree with RR on this one...as of 9/16/2010, in the 4 1/2 seasons of Meyer as UF's head coach there had been 30 arrests - I would not consider that a "tight ship". More to the point, I am a bit surprised that tOSU is trying to move on from a discipline issue by hiring a coach that has a record of having such poor discipline. The sad thing is, most people don't even know about his team's lack of discipline off-the-field.

30 Arrests

How many of those kids did he recruit though?

I didn't believe that that was the question at hand.

There are many ways to look at those numbers:
a) He wasn't able to keep UF players out of trouble
b) You can look at his "punishment" dished out in the second article and draw conclusions about whether he was strict or not (for me its a bit all over the place, some seem right on, others seem a cop-out)
c) He had to deal with many bad apples leftover from the previous coach for the duration of 5 years (when a BC-recruited player gets in trouble, doesn't Pelini get the fire over this?)

I just find it laughable that Meyer is seen as being a strict coach, when the results (from my perspective) do not indicate that. Again, more to the original point - tOSU went for instant wins, not for a disciplinarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back