• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLS 2018

jikastew

15 Year Member
Ladies and Gentlemen,

May I present you with the MLS 2018 thread!

And without further ado, let me introduce you to Sporting KC. I wish I had any idea how the blokes will fare this year. They seemingly upgraded talent up and down the roster. They are parting ways with static, below average, comfort players. They went international. They got younger. And then for some reason, they signed Brad Evans, which, surprisingly, I'm not averse to. They did ALL that........and still don't have a realistic MLS-quality #9. But, considering the effort, I'm good with the offseason. There's still time (and one international spot left) to poach our #9. SKC will be faster, more athletic. I fear, however, that it will lead to more games right up Vermes' alley.......i.e. 1-0 wins and a good amount of draws. Sigh. Hope I'm wrong. Maybe they will be dynamic through the attacking mid and score some goals. I'll believe it when I see it.

Goodbye, Benny. You were always my favorite.

TV MLS Season kicks off at 4pm CST with Seattle vs. (the new) LAFC. It'll be a fantastic double header for me today with SKC vs. NYFC at 6:30pm.

So much intrigue with SKC this year. From the naked eye, it looks like the quality of MLS should be easily up again this year. A little disappointed that Atlanta didn't keep pushing their roster and scare the crap out of the rest of the league in the process.

Lol. For the seemingly the ? year in a row, I forget to adjust my expectations for quality of play after watching La Liga and EPL for several months.

Good to know that some things never change. Latif Blessing will always go to ground 70% of the time he's touched. But it's not because he's diving. It's because he's 5'4" and 120 pounds.

Last edited:

SKC puts up another characteristic Vermes zero on the scoreboard. They sold Dwyer and added no one, none, zero, nado, cero, zilch center forward. All that wonderful allocation money to spend and we have no legitimate #9 on the team. Well done.

On the bright side, I like some of the players they brought in. Gutierrez, specifically, is fantastic. He and Ilie will likely be the best center mids in MLS this year. But it won't matter unless SKC can add anyone of worth to play up top. Right now they are the Arsenal of MLS. Really nice midfield and still no threat to score.

Last edited:
That's maybe the most depressing thing I've read... the Arsenal of MLS. Arsenal was a disaster today vs Brighton & Hove.

Also I'm extremely addicted to Fifa Mobile, and one of the things to play this week was guess the outcome of the 10 matches this week... I got 3/10... Philly, Galaxy and Vancouver. Weird week to start MLS off.

Zlatan scores less than 10' into his MLS debut. 'The Battle for Los Angeles' has been fantastic.

THis is also the battle of the worst uniforms in MLS.

LAFC goes for ......... black and gold. They could have chose anything. But they went black and gold. Not sure if they were going for the Solid Gold Dancers look or the Burt Reynolds Trans-Am look. Both classy in their horrendously cheesy late 1970s way.

And with that, Zlatan gets his brace to put LAG up in extra time. He's an instant legend already.

Last edited:

Also of note, Ibra was clearly offsides on his game winner and video review was not used. Someone remind me again..........what's its purpose if not in this exact circumstance? 2 point swings in either direction for the teams that shouldn't be.

THis is also the battle of the worst uniforms in MLS.

LAFC goes for ......... black and gold. They could have chose anything. But they went black and gold. Not sure if they were going for the Solid Gold Dancers look or the Burt Reynolds Trans-Am look. Both classy in their horrendously cheesy late 1970s way.

And with that, Zlatan gets his brace to put LAFC up in extra time. He's an instant legend already.

Bob Bradley....:)

A fantastic win by SKC over LAG yesterday, and without Gutierrez, who was AUDISTATS top MLS player before not playing this week.

The short on SKC thus far is that it 'appears' early that they hit on Russell, a winger from Scotland and a budget #9 in Shelton. Shelton is fun to watch. He's not a pure scorer, which is weird to say about a striker. But he holds up fantastically well. He pressures high like a boss. His vision and field awareness regarding playing to, and not just 'off', his teammates, is very good. If he starts scoring, we are in really good shape.

A player to keep an eye on is Salloi. He's garnering interest by European clubs and, truthfully, he's gone for Europe if he gets much better. He's only 21. SKC will enjoy him until that day arrives. Having he and Russell on the wings is something SKC hasn't had for some time, or at least since I've been a fan.

That said. They are SKC. They rely on Vermes' vision of team play and do what they do without high priced offensive talent. It'll take a special season, and a healthy one, to compete with the money teams when the playoffs roll around. Long season before I start thinking about that. But they are 1000% more fun to watch this year.

Having a relaxing evening watching games. Main game of course RSL vs Columbus. Also flipping to the NE vs DC ( who just signed Wayne Rooney this week). Oh and LA FC v Philly. Awesome new stadium next to the LA Colusium

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back