• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLB Season Thread

I saw that. 1 year 13 mil.

I think that’s a good deal. I like 1 year contracts, even if you have to pay a little more up front.

Stat dork alert! The problem with Keuchel is that he can’t miss a bat because his fastball is turtle slow. So he’s a pitch to contact guy, who gets hit hard statistically, to a middle-of-the pack defense in Atlanta. His slider is gone, but as long as his cutter and sinker are hitting, he will be able to eat a lot of innings. If he can’t locate or has trouble with one of those pitches, he’s fuckkked and he’s going to start getting shelled because statistically, he gets hit hard and gives up a lot of fly balls.

Still though, I think the Braves are smart for getting him. It should keep them right in there for the division title. If Atlanta is looking to go all in for a World Series run though, I think they are going to have to deal some of that young pitching talent they have in their system. I think they are two arms away. One starter and one bullpen, or possibly two bullpen arms if they keep hitting well. Although Mack, I’ve only watched Atlanta play around 10 games this year so I could be dead wrong.

I think that’s a good deal. I like 1 year contracts, even if you have to pay a little more up front.

Stat dork alert! The problem with Keuchel is that he can’t miss a bat because his fastball is turtle slow. So he’s a pitch to contact guy, who gets hit hard statistically, to a middle-of-the pack defense in Atlanta. His slider is gone, but as long as his cutter and sinker are hitting, he will be able to eat a lot of innings. If he can’t locate or has trouble with one of those pitches, he’s fuckkked and he’s going to start getting shelled because statistically, he gets hit hard and gives up a lot of fly balls.

Still though, I think the Braves are smart for getting him. It should keep them right in there for the division title. If Atlanta is looking to go all in for a World Series run though, I think they are going to have to deal some of that young pitching talent they have in their system. I think they are two arms away. One starter and one bullpen, or possibly two bullpen arms if they keep hitting well. Although Mack, I’ve only watched Atlanta play around 10 games this year so I could be dead wrong.

You've watched more Braves games than I have. I know they need bullpen help bad and have one or two roster holes, but I'd rather them build long term than play the short game.

tWINS !! Twinkies 12, Tigers 2 @ Detroit. Finally ended long long road trip. Monday sked is off (rest)

Anyhoo, need more power. Today only 4 HR's, 5 doubles and 17 hits ;).

Season HR's, doubles and hits are all three 1st place in MLB stats :thumbsup:.

Pitchers ......... 5th place in ERA stats. (AL)

I agree I've watched 40+ Braves games and there is a marked difference between the front 3 of the rotation and the back 2. Folty was an All-Star last year so hopefully he can regain form. Keuchel will be an upgrade over someone in the rotation. The bullpen needs two arms I'd say. The question is though, can the Braves shore up the bullpen from within the organization (there are more arms than you can shake a stick at) or are they going to make any moves at the deadline.

One quibble I have is that the Braves have better than a middle of the pack defense. Their lineup is a monster right now.

I agree I've watched 40+ Braves games and there is a marked difference between the front 3 of the rotation and the back 2. Folty was an All-Star last year so hopefully he can regain form. Keuchel will be an upgrade over someone in the rotation. The bullpen needs two arms I'd say. The question is though, can the Braves shore up the bullpen from within the organization (there are more arms than you can shake a stick at) or are they going to make any moves at the deadline.

One quibble I have is that the Braves have better than a middle of the pack defense. Their lineup is a monster right now.

Statistically speaking. Injuries and schedule have probably created some parallax.

Braves have a tough stretch coming up as I’m sure you already know. Philly, Mets, followed by road series @ Washington, @ Cubs.

The Phillies are a fragile team with plenty of weaknesses.

They are depleted in the outfield. Herrera may never play for the Phillies again after his domestic violence arrest. McCuthen was doing quite well at leadoff, but his injury ended his season. A rookie replacement just got put on the DL. And now they may be calling up HWM to fill a hole. Desperate times!

The bullpen really isn't any good.

And I don't know that they have a dependable starting pitcher. Nola has been very inconsistent. Arrieta is really no more than a #3 or #4 starter. Efflin has been solid but I don't know that I can count on him to continue to pitch as well as he mostly has. After that, yuck.

I don't see any way they can patch all of these holes. I'm sure they'll make a couple of deals at the deadline but I don't know if it will be enough. They are 20th in team batting average. 13th in ERA. That doesn't look anything like a recipe for a playoff run. About the only thing I can say is their fielding is better than last season (granted, last season they were the worst defensive team in baseball).

Unless something dramatic happens, I think the Braves will overtake Philadelphia. Heck, I wouldn't rule out the Mets and maybe even the Nats doing the same.

Last edited:
Max broke his nose during a bunting drill yesterday and has a 3 hit shutout through 6 today. Pretty gritty, even if he gets rocked this last inning or two.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back