• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLB Season Thread

Mike Trout signs for $100 million more than Harper and one less year. Wow!

Trout will be making $10-11 million more than Harper annually, on average.

I can't say Trout isn't worth that. And I admire a professional who sticks with only one team for his career, which is such a rarity anymore. He's the best player in baseball -- and I don't think it's close.

But -- was it really the right thing to do -- especially for the Angels? Sure, there's no doubt, Trout equals ticket and merchandise sales. But will they sacrifice winning for this? The Angels are a pretty poor ballclub currently. They aren't adding a stud player with Trout (as Philly did with Harper) -- they are just not wanting to lose him. But they also boosted their payroll significantly to be able to do this. They now have less flexibility financially to be able to build a team around Trout. 5th highest payroll in baseball this season -- for one of the worst teams in the majors. Meanwhile, the Phillies payroll is 13th -- with plenty of potential now and lots of space under the luxury tax.

Last edited:
Trout will be making $10-11 million more than Harper annually, on average.

I can't say Trout isn't worth that. And I admire a professional who sticks with only one team for his career, which is such a rarity anymore. He's the best player in baseball -- and I don't think it's close.

But -- was it really the right thing to do -- especially for the Angels? Sure, there's no doubt, Trout equals ticket and merchandise sales. But will they sacrifice winning for this? The Angels are a pretty poor ballclub currently. They aren't adding a stud player with Trout (as Philly did with Harper) -- they are just not wanting to lose him. But they also boosted their payroll significantly to be able to do this. They now have less flexibility financially to be able to build a team around Trout. 5th highest payroll in baseball this season -- for one of the worst teams in the majors. Meanwhile, the Phillies payroll is 13th -- with plenty of potential now and lots of space under the luxury tax.

Yeah, we will be old as hell by then HWM, but I can see him retiring as perhaps the greatest to ever play the game but little post-season success and no championships. I’d take less money to win championships, the endorsements would still be unreal, but I’m not the best player in the MLB.

No players are worth the amount of money Trout or even Harper got. Not in terms of just production and winning baseball games anyway. The last few years of their contracts, it will be extremely difficult to win with a regressing star taking up that much cap space. Of course, like you said HWM, inflation will make it different, there will probably be $230 million payrolls by then, maybe more.

Last edited:
Yeah, we will be old as hell by then HWM, but I can see him retiring as perhaps the greatest to ever play the game but little post-season success and no championships. I’d take less money to win championships, the endorsements would still be unreal, but I’m not the best player in the MLB.

No players are worth the amount of money Trout or even Harper got. Not in terms of just production and winning baseball games anyway. The last few years of their contracts, it will be extremely difficult to win with a regressing star taking up that much cap space. Of course, like you said HWM, inflation will make it different, there will probably be $230 million payrolls by then, maybe more.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about how much cap space that takes up 8-10-11 years from now. I haven't seen how all of Trout's contract is structured, but I know Harper will be making a few million less per year his final 3-4 years. Take into account inflation, and that's probably 10-15 million less than what he'll be making early in the contract. The Phillies are in infinitely better position than the Angels -- both current and years from now -- both rosters and payrolls.

As you say, there's a very good chance Trout has locked himself into winning no championships in his career. Part of the reason Harper signed with the Phillies is not only because they have a good, young core -- but they also still have some salary room this year ($16-17 million) but a ton that comes off the book two years from now ... for when they had planned to pursue Trout -- well, not any longer now -- but they will be able to do more to improve this team.

I've seen the Angels bungle personnel decisions more than a few times.

FYI, if you have TMobile as your cell service provider, you can get MLB.TV for free if you sign up this week.

If I were President the very first thing I would do would be to make Opening Day a National Holiday (if that is the sort of thing the President has the power to do unilaterally). I have gladly paid the $120 bucks for MLB.TV. The NL East should be incredible this year with Philly signing some big names, the Nats are still absolutely a contender, the Mets need to stay healthy and my defending NL East champs get Donaldson and more experience. It will be a 4 team race and I can't wait.

If I were President the very first thing I would do would be to make Opening Day a National Holiday (if that is the sort of thing the President has the power to do unilaterally). I have gladly paid the $120 bucks for MLB.TV. The NL East should be incredible this year with Philly signing some big names, the Nats are still absolutely a contender, the Mets need to stay healthy and my defending NL East champs get Donaldson and more experience. It will be a 4 team race and I can't wait.

Yep -- the NL East will be awesome to watch! Definitely can't rule out any of those four teams. And a likely division to produce a wildcard.

The Phillies should have some serious firepower in the their lineup. The key for Philadelphia will be improving on probably the worst defense in the majors last season. Their fielding was pathetic -- and really made it hard on the pitching staff.

Go Phillies!

Last edited:
Yep -- the NL East will be awesome to watch! Definitely can't rule out any of those four teams. And a likely division to produce a wildcard.

The Phillies should have some serious firepower in the their lineup. The key for Philadelphia will be improving on probably the worst defense in the majors last season. Their fielding was pathetic -- and really made it hard on the pitching staff.

Go Phillies!

I don't hate Philly but I do hate Harper. I think Philly is probably the team to beat in the East, however if Donaldson can stay healthy that changes the complexion of the Braves quite a bit. If Acuna doesn't have a sophomore slump and Donaldson stays healthy I think the Braves repeat. Atlanta has so many pitchers that it seems statistically impossible that they won't have a competent rotation.

I don't hate Philly but I do hate Harper. I think Philly is probably the team to beat in the East, however if Donaldson can stay healthy that changes the complexion of the Braves quite a bit. If Acuna doesn't have a sophomore slump and Donaldson stays healthy I think the Braves repeat. Atlanta has so many pitchers that it seems statistically impossible that they won't have a competent rotation.
Its never wrong to hate Philly in any sport. :thumbsup:

If I were President the very first thing I would do would be to make Opening Day a National Holiday (if that is the sort of thing the President has the power to do unilaterally).

Today is arguably the best day in sports. MLB Opening Day combined with NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen games. I'm sure that doesn't line up every year like this -- but today, amazing! Also, it seems like there's many more MLB games on opening day than the past several years -- where it seems like only about half the teams play on day one.

Today is arguably the best day in sports. MLB Opening Day combined with NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen games. I'm sure that doesn't line up every year like this -- but today, amazing! Also, it seems like there's many more MLB games on opening day than the past several years -- where it seems like only about half the teams play on day one.
There is something electric about opening day in baseball. I am excited for it every year.

Much of the time the fact that the Royals aren't double digit games back is a huge factor.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back