• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLB Season Thread

With Moustakas signing the Brewers 1 through 7 will be as good as any in the NL.

Cain-Braun-Yelich- Aguilar-Moustakas-Shaw-Grandal

The Brewers got better ... so did the Cardinals and Reds ... Cubs not so much!
[screenshotted] ;) you must work for PETCOA

whoops meant "PECOTA" a roster eval projection that currently says the Cubs will win 79 games and finish dead last in the NL Central
https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/
Cubs won’t finish last. That’s saved for the Pirates. But I think the central will be a blood bath. Unfortunately I think the Cardinals will win the central. Combination of good young pitching and Goldschmit makes them tough.

So the Padres spent 300 million today. Serious contender? :Rolleyes:

I’m torn on if what the Padres did was smart or not. They got some STUDS in their farm system. They almost should have called them up and tanked just one more year. Of course, guys like Machado don’t come along every year. I think the Padres are major contenders in 2 years.

Cubs won’t finish last. That’s saved for the Pirates. But I think the central will be a blood bath. Unfortunately I think the Cardinals will win the central. Combination of good young pitching and Goldschmit makes them tough.

Yeah, Cards are going to bounce back for sure.

I’m torn on if what the Padres did was smart or not. They got some STUDS in their farm system. They almost should have called them up and tanked just one more year. Of course, guys like Machado don’t come along every year. I think the Padres are major contenders in 2 years.
Machado is not a guy you build a championship around.

Machado is not a guy you build a championship around.

I agree. Should have probably waited a year and then got a high-level veteran ace who can set the culture. Maybe the guy will be a d-bag forever, maybe he will mature some. Hard to ignore his slash line though. A lot can also be said for .285, 36 taters, and 100 RBI.

Interestingly, 538 had an article on this subject last week. How the Cubs have seemingly squandered away what had the makings of a dynasty.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/did-the-cubs-miss-their-chance-to-be-a-dynasty/

Great article! I loved watching the Cubs come up with that team but they have made some questionable decisions since. Plus, once all the “lifelong” Cubs fans crawled out of the woodwork (all due respect to the hardcore Cubs fans), it’s been fun watching them take a step back.

You guys are brutal :cool: fangraphs has the Cubs projected to take the central (BY 7 GAMES!). And if my cubbies can find a slightly better than replacement level backup catcher in time to make a difference I think we will - I am bewildered that we have not picked one up yet.

I believe that rumors of the Cubs demise have been greatly exaggerated, but we'll see when they start putting numbers up on the scoreboard

Thirteen days away from the Astros first game. Like most teams the final cuts will be this week. I think it's very strange that there are so many players still out there with no team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back