• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLB Season Thread

upload_2018-7-13_15-21-54.png

The Phillies continue to surge heading toward the All-Star break. Beat the Marlins tonight 2-0 off a solid performance by Arietta.

Meanwhile, the Nats lost to the Mets and the Braves are currently down to Arizona.

On a side note, I do not see the need for the Phillies to trade for Moose. There's simply no stats that suggest Moose is an upgrade over Franco at third. And Moose is four years older. Franco is doing fine. He's gotten hits in 9 of his past 10 games -- now .272 on the season and has hit three homes in the past six games. He's only struck out 40 times this season, which is pretty solid.

Chase Utley announced his retirement (at season's end) yesterday.

My all-time favorite Phillie. And many/most Philadelphia fans would agree. The number of baby boys that were given the name Chase during his time in Philadelphia spiked tremendously.

He did it all. Hit for average, power, great glove, stole bases (and rarely got caught) -- and was as gritty as a baseball player could be. Heck, he ranks 8th all-time in baseball for hit by pitch. Fearless with one of the prettiest swings you'll see. He also was legendary for his base running -- knowing exactly when to take the extra base when few would dare try.

16 seasons! Of course, highlighted by the 2008 World Series Championship. The debate has begun whether or not he'll be in the Hall of Fame. I sure hope so!

Some favorite Utley highlights:

His first game starting -- back in 2003. First MLB hit. What's he do? Hit a Grand Slam!

Chase had the ultimate baseball IQ. Fully aware of everything going on around him, making gems in the field like this:

Want the city of Philadelphia to love you? Give the greatest World Series Championship acceptance line ever!

Last edited:

Phillies lost this afternoon. :( But, no harm, no foul. Braves and Nats also lost, so Philly maintains their 1.5 gm lead.

It seems the talks are heating up rapidly for a trade of Machado to Philadelphia. There's still other potential trade partners for Baltimore, but Philly is high on the list.

So its the all-star break. Here are some observations:

The NL divisions are much more fun to watch than the AL. All three NL divisions are tight, All three AL divisions are less so. Most likely the Yanks will give Boston a run in the end.

The west divisions of both leagues each have 4 of the 5 teams over .500. Its possible that both wildcards could come from the west in both leagues.

KC has finally taken over the top spot for worst team in MLB despite Bonafacio having a hot bat in his return from suspension. Losing Moose and Merrifield and possibly Duffy since he is hot should cement our 1st draft pick. Ahhh, the good old days. :Bananalazy:

As usual, AL beat NL in All-Star game.

AL guys just toying around with minor league all-star team (National). Baseball is weird ..... time to time, minor league team beat against AL MLB in exhibition game.

;););)

Last edited:
That was the most entertaining all-star game in a while.Especially after the eighth inning. So far who has improved their team for the platoffs? It looks like L A took a step foward, although not official with Baltimore.

That was the most entertaining all-star game in a while.Especially after the eighth inning. So far who has improved their team for the platoffs? It looks like L A took a step foward, although not official with Baltimore.

It makes me ill to imagine Machado in a Dodgers uniform.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back