• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLB Season Thread

The next three series, before the All Star break, are all very winnable for the Nats. Miami, @Pittsburgh, @Mets. 11 games. No reason why Washington shouldn't go at least 7-4. If not ....

Nats got down 9-0 early last night. I felt despair as they just had a players meeting to try to fix the problem. Out of nowhere, they just started turning on balls and won 14-12. Trea Turner is hitting the ball consistently harder than anyone in the league outside of Markakis....Trea hit a few bombs and dropped 8 RBI. Matt Adams is finally healthy and went 4-4. Juan Soto brought it as well. Hoping that was the catalyst for the turnaround.

Nats got down 9-0 early last night. I felt despair as they just had a players meeting to try to fix the problem. Out of nowhere, they just started turning on balls and won 14-12. Trea Turner is hitting the ball consistently harder than anyone in the league outside of Markakis....Trea hit a few bombs and dropped 8 RBI. Matt Adams is finally healthy and went 4-4. Juan Soto brought it as well. Hoping that was the catalyst for the turnaround.

I saw that craziness yesterday.

And the Braves lost their third straight. As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, things were going to get a lot more difficult for ATL in July.

Phillies are only 1 game back heading into today!

Statistics suggest the Phillies won't be able to keep up what they've done so far this season.

Currently 10 games over .500 and 1 game out of first place in the NL East.

But -- they are 27th in team batting average and 17th in team ERA.

There probably isn't a single player in the batting lineup worthy of the All Star game. It may be that Aaron Nola will be Philadelphia's lone representative.

The Phillies are only +10 in run differential.

Sagarin ranks the Phillies 9th in MLB. 10 games over .500 against MLB's 8th most difficult schedule thus far (note: Washington and Atlanta have both had easier schedules).

Somehow, the Phillies just get the job done. But they have been defying gravity. And if they can't keep it up, I won't be surprised.

It will be very interesting to see if Philadelphia is a serious buyer in trades. There's two approaches. 1. Trade for a stud infielder (i.e. Machado or Moose) and/or a starting pitcher that is worthy of around 3rd in the rotation. That could be enough to keep their magic going. 2. Realize that what you are doing with the current roster is pretty unbelievable. It's a young roster. The position players alone are the youngest in MLB. And their farm system is one of the elite in baseball currently. They are stacked for the future. Maybe you just let it play itself out and don't mess with the overachieving -- knowing if they make the playoffs, it's a small miracle -- and if they don't, the future is extremely bright. There's justification for just staying pat and not buying at the deadline.

Statistics suggest the Phillies won't be able to keep up what they've done so far this season.

Currently 10 games over .500 and 1 game out of first place in the NL East.

But -- they are 27th in team batting average and 17th in team ERA.

There probably isn't a single player in the batting lineup worthy of the All Star game. It may be that Aaron Nola will be Philadelphia's lone representative.

The Phillies are only +10 in run differential.

Sagarin ranks the Phillies 9th in MLB. 10 games over .500 against MLB's 8th most difficult schedule thus far (note: Washington and Atlanta have both had easier schedules).

Somehow, the Phillies just get the job done. But they have been defying gravity. And if they can't keep it up, I won't be surprised.

It will be very interesting to see if Philadelphia is a serious buyer in trades. There's two approaches. 1. Trade for a stud infielder (i.e. Machado or Moose) and/or a starting pitcher that is worthy of around 3rd in the rotation. That could be enough to keep their magic going. 2. Realize that what you are doing with the current roster is pretty unbelievable. It's a young roster. The position players alone are the youngest in MLB. And their farm system is one of the elite in baseball currently. They are stacked for the future. Maybe you just let it play itself out and don't mess with the overachieving -- knowing if they make the playoffs, it's a small miracle -- and if they don't, the future is extremely bright. There's justification for just staying pat and not buying at the deadline.
This is the first season that I have ever played fantasy baseball so I have kept track of more of the league than normal.

I missed the draft unfortunately but ended up with 3 Phillies: Carlos Santana, Odubel Herrera and Maikel Franco.

Franco absolutely sucked early so I dropped him quick...not sure anyone has picked him up although he has played better lately.

Herrera has great stats although they don't translate the best in fantasy but I rode his hot start but then dropped him about a month ago.

Still waiting for Santana to get hot and I expect it to happen.

I also owned Pivetta for a while.

It seems to be the Phillies and Braves both are flush with young talent. Whether many of them will take the next step is the big question.

This is the first season that I have ever played fantasy baseball so I have kept track of more of the league than normal.

I missed the draft unfortunately but ended up with 3 Phillies: Carlos Santana, Odubel Herrera and Maikel Franco.

Franco absolutely sucked early so I dropped him quick...not sure anyone has picked him up although he has played better lately.

Herrera has great stats although they don't translate the best in fantasy but I rode his hot start but then dropped him about a month ago.

Still waiting for Santana to get hot and I expect it to happen.

I also owned Pivetta for a while.

It seems to be the Phillies and Braves both are flush with young talent. Whether many of them will take the next step is the big question.

Santana is typically worth holding onto.

This is probably the first time this century I have been without a fantasy baseball team.

But Santana will do one thing dependably: draw base on balls a lot. He's very disciplined at the plate, but doesn't hit for a high average (you'll do well if he hits .260 on the season -- .250 is more reasonable to expect).

He does have 14 homers -- so he's on pace to hit 25-30, which is about normal for him.

He's been batting in the 4-hole, which is good for RBI's. He currently has 48, so he should get close to 100.

He's actually on-pace for career bests in both walks and RBI's.

Santana is consistently dependable. Won't blow you away with any number (outside of walks), but is solid in most categories -- unless your fantasy team is in need of batting average.

The only concern I have with him is if they acquire a stud bat in a trade and it pushes Santana down in the batting order. May or may not hurt his RBI opportunities. But I do think he'll play first base all season, so I doubt his job is in jeopardy.

Franco is the position player most likely to be replaced via trade. He's no longer an every day third baseman. But he does have a lot of upside potential -- and sometimes shows it (both with the bat and glove). But that's the Phillie with the most uncertain future.

Last edited:

And there you have it ... Phillies tied for 1st in the NL East!!! :Banana:

Braves lost again. 4 straight.

Phillies won their 5th straight (7 of their last 8). 17 runs tonight! :eek::Bow:

And even the Nats are picking up ground -- winning consecutive games for the first time in a month.

Last edited:
The Astros have 5 going to the all star game. That's great but in my mind Springer does not deserve to go this year. Voters are allowed to vote early on line, like mid may. Atleast the winner won't determine home field advantage.

Aaron Nola is the lone Phillie in the ASG. But oh so worthy!

Another gem from Nola tonight. 1 hit, 0 R/ER, 10 Ks, 1 BB. AND -- he drove in all three runs for Philadelphia on a double! What a stud!

Not that anyone would read this but me, but this article is from a few days prior to tonight's dominating outing. Nola is rapidly becoming one of the best starting pitchers in baseball. Some of his numbers are otherworldly.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/10-random-aaron-nola-stats-you-wont-believe

Phillies win again! 13-3 in their last 16 games! Now -- ALONE in first place in the NL East!

Meanwhile, the Braves are 7-9 in that same span of games.

Braves have disappointed over the last few series. Pitching has been a big problem either starters not making it past the 4th or someone out of the pen giving up 4-5 runs in an inning. The worst part for the Braves is that they don't have any head to head games with the Phillies until the last couple weeks of the season.

Last edited:
Braves have disappointed over the last few series. Pitching has been a big problem either starters not making it past the 4th or someone out of the pen giving up 4-5 runs in an inning. The worst part for the Braves is that they don't have any head to head games with the Phillies until the last couple weeks of the season.

Yeah -- pretty crazy. Two of the last three series of the regular season: Braves vs Phillies. Could very well be for the division. The final three are in Philadelphia.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back